I have two guitarists in my band and we have a lot of rhythym stuff. Sometimes we are playing different things but then a lot of the time we are playing the same riffs. It is a hardcore band and I don't really know how to go about writing leads for it. Since most of the rhythym is power chords, what scales would I use (minor, major, etc)? Basically I have a little theory knowledge but not much so how would I go about writing leads to it.
as for what scales to use (minor,major, etc...) that all depends on the song...

for writing a solo it isnt really something someone can tell you... you just have to fuck around on the guitar till you find something...
for palyin something along with the rythem...try a riff in the relative minor of what you are playing...it may sound good..it may not
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by timmEH
for palyin something along with the rythem...try a riff in the relative minor of what you are playing...it may sound good..it may not

So if out first chord of the song is and E5 powerchord, then I should play a riff in e minor?
no..... if it was in the key of c play a solo in a minor, the seventh of that scale. i'm pretty sure that's the relative minor, the seventh of the scale. or i am fool and will be made fun of.

no crap a in the sixth. right sixth.
Last edited by somewhat_here at May 30, 2006,
Quote by somewhat_here
no..... if it was in the key of c play a solo in a minor, the seventh of that scale. i'm pretty sure that's the relative minor, the seventh of the scale. or i am fool and will be made fun of.

3 semitones down, i believe

anyways, yeah, **** around but know what you are doing, because you might make up an awesome riff and forget in 3 seconds(like me )
I don't really know what key it is in. We just wrote them by screwing around. Plus powerchords are neither major nor minor. So one of our songs starts with E5. Would I play a solo in c sharp minor? I am so confused.
yea you have to mess around and you have to know the chords or what key the song is in before you do anything or else it will sound all stupid
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I think it depends on how the progression will go.

A progression going E5, A5, C5 is going to most likely be in the key of E minor, since it's using notes from the E minor scale.

Now if say for example the progression goes E5, F#5, C#5, then this is most likely in E major, since it's using notes from the E major scale.

If it's in E minor, then try doing something in E minor. I'd recommend the pentatonic scale in E minor since it's fairly simple.

If it's in E major, then you could try playing in E major, or you could try the relative minor of E, which is C#. By relative, both of the keys share the same notes, but there's just more of an emphasis on the C#, which will give it that minor sound in this case.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
Last edited by God withus at May 30, 2006,
I know the whole pentatonic and all that, but it all sounds to bluesy or classic rockish to me. I'll fool around with it all.
Quote by jmac72187
I know the whole pentatonic and all that, but it all sounds to bluesy or classic rockish to me.
It doesn't if you play stuff that isn't bluesy.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It doesn't if you play stuff that isn't bluesy.

You can play a blues solo over a metalsong. It all depends on the phrasing. However, for non-classicrock/blues/pop songs, I'd recommend 'full' scales instead of just pentatonics
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Hey jmac, do you have anything recorded? 'cause their are a lot of people, I'm sure, that would be williing to give you an example of how to write a lead. Post some music up here. But other than that, what I do is just think of something really cool in my head, them put it on guitar. Sounds easy doesn't it. Well with a little music theory and some messing around it actually is. This how I always write everything: rhythm, lead, bass, solos, etc. Try it out. Don't just focus on music theory, that makes music boring at times.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Old metallica uses a lot of pentatonic-ish stuff. Just mess around with it.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
Quote by guitarwylde03
Hey jmac, do you have anything recorded? 'cause their are a lot of people, I'm sure, that would be williing to give you an example of how to write a lead. Post some music up here. But other than that, what I do is just think of something really cool in my head, them put it on guitar. Sounds easy doesn't it. Well with a little music theory and some messing around it actually is. This how I always write everything: rhythm, lead, bass, solos, etc. Try it out. Don't just focus on music theory, that makes music boring at times.

Alright here you guys go. www.myspace.com/defendhxc. That is 2 songs that we have recorded very ****ty with one mic.
well, I'm not theory genius, but it always works to base the lead on something else like the vocals or the feeling you get from the lyrics.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
3 semitones down, i believe

4 semi tones down
I took a listen. Sounds like you guys know a few power chords and that's
about it. Although, overall I rather liked it. The first song seemed to sag
a bit in a spot or two.

It's not demanding stuff. I'm not sure you need much of a solo for that type of
music. But, if you don't have any other tricks up your sleeve, all your songs are
going to sound the same.

Maybe later I'll try recording a similar backing track and put a solo on it.
Quote by Shorrock
4 semi tones down

Incorrect.. Relative minor is 3 semi tones below! Example
----C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A----

You see an Aminor scale and a Cmajor scale. Aminor is the relative minor of Cmajor, and the difference between a C and an A is three semitones.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Incorrect.. Relative minor is 3 semi tones below! Example
----C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A----

You see an Aminor scale and a Cmajor scale. Aminor is the relative minor of Cmajor, and the difference between a C and an A is three semitones.

no i am correct.

there is a tone gap between the B and A (two semi tones not one)

therefore there is 4 semi tone gap

A, A#, B, C
another way to think about it is count the frets from C - A. Theres 4 so it = 4 semi tones.
A A# B C C# D D#/Eb E F F# G G#

If you write it out like that, it is easy to see that C is the third note from A, therefore it is 3 semitones.

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
theres a 3 semi tone gap if you dont include the note you start on but i do when i work out the relitve minor so the way i do it i count down 4 semi tones (including the starting note)
Hardcore requires more theory than most bands I know... check out my friends band and see what I mean:

www.purevolume.com/theeveningedition

notice all the modes he uses and 90% of it is improvised... in order to become a good hardcore player you need to be quite intelligent and quick on your feet. Memorize all the positions for all of the modes and practice them in every key.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 1, 2006,
Sorry silentdud, but that is far from hardcore. Try something more like www.myspace.com/x1931 or my favorite www.myspace.com/dirtydancingrock . Check out some of their stuff.

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab