ok, so im getting a fender mexican buddy guy strat cos it looks awesome and i love fenders, but the pickups are stock fender mex strat ceramic ones, which i expect to replace (correct me if i dont need to). So i play mostly blues, mostly clean but id like a decent overdriven tone too. ive been looking at fender vintage noiseless and gold lace sensor pickups, but i dont know which to pick (or if they both suck). can anyone help?
dyou know if they ship to the uk? although i would prefer a noiseless pickup, i guess i could do without.
Quote by Dirk Gently
What about Texas Specials?

ive thought about 'em. they might be a bit too hot for what i play. problem is, you cant really try out a set of pickups for sound.
for blues and clean look no further than fender texas specials. that's what i put on my MIA strat and they are superb.

i see you are in uk, don't buy direct from fender custom shop (like i did), they will cost you an arm and a leg (like about £200 a set). get them off ebay for half that price.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i love texas specials, but sometimes (maybe its just the guitars ive played) they can be a little noisey.

i opted for dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues, really hot and they run silent.

thread starter if u want a little overdrive without losing ur cleans, u can also try the
HOT gold from lace. gold and a little plain. nice cleans tho.

for a hot guitar, alot of times ill suggest a hot gold in the neck, a Vv in the middle and a hot rails in bridge.

i went with the malmsteen neck, its a little too bassy, i probably would have gotten more out of a lace pickup, like the blue, or hot gold.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Maybe a '57/'62 reissue pickup set?

Although you might aswell try the Buddy Guy Strat for a while when you buy it with the stock pickups, you might not even wanna' change them...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by bluewilliams
ive thought about 'em. they might be a bit too hot for what i play. problem is, you cant really try out a set of pickups for sound.

Yes you can. A couple different Strats have Texas Specials stock. That's the lovely thing about buying genuine Fender aftermarket pickups.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm sure Lindy would ship 'em. Might be expensive though. They're worth it, in my opinion.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I was also going to recommend Stephen Designs pickups. The guy is in love with single coils and blues and will build custom pickups to your specifications. Problem is they're $240 US for a set and plus shipping would be...woohoo.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by bluewilliams
dyou know if they ship to the uk? although i would prefer a noiseless pickup, i guess i could do without.

I believe that they do, but I'm not sure. Just send them an email and they'll let you know.

Most people aren't familiar with them yet, and many are skeptical because of the low price, but they are VERY good pickups. The Strat set I have makes my Texas Specials sound like cardboard. I also have a guitar with Vintage Noiseless pickups, and they're fine, but unless you're playing in front of a computer monitor or under fluorescent lights, the noiseless aspect really isn't necessary.
heard good things about lindy fralins, mark knopfler uses them so i've read. can't get much cleaner than mark!

the fralin website used to feature an audio comparison of their pups with others (inc texas specials) but i can't find it any more - can anyone else? that would be what you need to make your choice.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by bluewilliams
also...custom specs? i wouldnt know where to start...

The guy I mentioned isn't into "specs" per se. What he does is talk to you extensively about your gear and what tone you're looking for, then wind a set for you. If you don't like them, you send them back for a rewind, replacement or a refund. But again, it'll be a biotch since you live in the UK.
Hi, I'm Peter
Score!! those GFS pickups ships WORLDWIDE DAILY. or so they say. i am tempted... those lipstick tubes look bloody cool too.