Page 1 of 2
I'm on a budget of "whatever the cheapest thing that makes a sound," and I want to buy an electric guitar. I already have an acoustic, so I know how to play somewhat, but don't really know what I should be looking for.

One of my guitar-playing friends said his first guitar was a Squier Bullet (now he has a Fender Fat Strat), and it's 100 bucks plus whatever the amp costs.

I would probably be playing RHCP, Green Day, Metallica, Nirvana, Creed, and a bunch of grunge/hard rock bands.

Is a Bullet a total piece of crap, or will it at least allow me to play?
its a POS. plywood.

u can get a dean evo for $99. basswood body. it will hold up and stay in tune much better.

http://www.music123.com/Dean-EVO-XM-Electric-Guitar-i130013.music
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well at toys r us they got a guitar with rubber bands for strings and a built in speaker.its only 50 bucks and its electric and makes noise.
Quote by SunshineMan89
Would a Dean EVO be better than the Squier?

Yes, very much so.
heres a buncha cheap guitars here
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i say get a used one...maybe a used Ibanez RG?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
yes definitly a used rg but check it (scratchs, sound an whatnot) but yeah i played the evo, an for 99$ its a hella deal, go for it
Quote by red star

I here SX makes a fairly nice product, considering their prices.
Quote by red star

have u bought anything from there before?
My friend uses one to gig for some reason (have no idea why).

Doesn't make since that he throws his Omen on stage instead of the Bullet but that's another topic.....

It sounds like **** to me but he likes it, but to each his own.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I here SX makes a fairly nice product, considering their prices.

Guitar Player gave them horrible reveiws, and they are pretty unbiased. The guest reveiw was bad as well.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Guitar Player gave them horrible reveiws, and they are pretty unbiased. The guest reveiw was bad as well.

but you cant beat that price!
Gear:
Yamaha f-310 acoustic
Epiphone Les paul standard plus
Line 6 spider II 30 watt
Digitech Metal Master
Quote by bustin_beats288
any big diffrence in sound between the bullet and the bullet special?

i dont think so. pretty sure they are both trash.
and in a huge fender fan, but there are better guitars for the price.

so then yes, u can beat the price.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by MastaBassist10

Notice that SX dont advertise in Guitar Player?? Notice that every other brand reviewed advertises in Guitar Player. I've learned to stop trusting guitar mag reviews except for a few mags ( i dont subscribe anymore).

I know a few people with SX's (not beginners but very good experienced players). They love the price and use it as a modding platform. The only bad thing I can say about SX is that their QC is off sometimes and they sometimes need a setup straight out of the box (but what guitar doesnt).

JMO
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Idk . . . I don't know if I'm guitar-savvy enough to "mod" an SX. I'm thinking right now of just going with the Dean-I haven't heard anything bad about the EVO XM yet and it costs the same as a Bullet.
I would say that most inexpensive guitars are a crap shoot. Without trying them out, it's very possible to end up with a POS. That being said, if you are of the disposition to try many out, you can be surprised by a lovely diamond in the rough.

Saying that a Dean Evo is de-facto a better guitar than a Squier bullet is nonsense. It certainly doesn't take into account the guitarist and what they want to hear. It's not even the same guitar. I got a Dean Evo for $99. I liked the humbuckers but it was a horrible guitar, particularly for a beginner. I got GC to take it in a trade for $150 towards a Squier Deluxe Strat that is just awesome. They're still trying to sell the Evo.

The Evo basswood wouldn't hold screws well. In my experience, basswood needs paint. My Squier 51 is basswood and is tight. Also the Evo needed new tuners.

I tried over 20 guitars before I settled on my Squier 51. It's primo and I use it at gigs, especially when I'm doing blues tunes. Same for the Bullet. I agree that most of them are crap. If I were handy, I might throw a setup on it and that could be all it needs. But I buy my guitars off the rack and I don't mod. It's gotta play well and sound good, period.

I picked up a Bullet that is absolutely awesome. Tone goes into P90 territory. Loves OD. Lowering the volume a touch softens it up some. It can also sound pretty.

BTW - there are "expensive" guitars that use the same mode of one pickup and a volume knob. Sometimes that's all I need.

I'm a gigging musician and I use inexpensive guitars all the time. Every guitar is different. I don't spend money ridiculously. If I can get great playability and mad tone, for less, I'd be stupid not to.

Blanket statements about guitars are juvenile.

Try them out. You'll be surprised at what's out there. The overall quality in inexpensive guitars has risen tremendously over the last 10 - 15 years!
^LAf. thanks for reviving a thread from june.

if u want a $99 guitar and pick a bullet over an evo then at least u have a bullet so u can blow ur brains out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^LAf. thanks for reviving a thread from june.

if u want a $99 guitar and pick a bullet over an evo then at least u have a bullet so u can blow ur brains out.

Proves a point about juvenile, anyways.

Don't worry. Some threads are timeless. I'm sure someone will come along with a similar question and hopefully the wealth of wisdom we've embedded in here will prove of some usefulness

I don't look for $99 guitars, just good ones.
if you want a better guitar for cheaper ill sell you my squire affinity strat with frontman 15 watt amp,cable,tuner,strap and instructional DVD for about 160-170. Usuallally costs 300.00 really good deal considering all the stuff is mint condition.
Quote by GizmoKaKa
My face resembles a buttocks.

Quote by guitar?
I used to hold down my dog and piss on it. I don't have a dog anymore.
Quote by Frets99
Proves a point about juvenile, anyways.

Don't worry. Some threads are timeless. I'm sure someone will come along with a similar question and hopefully the wealth of wisdom we've embedded in here will prove of some usefulness

I don't look for $99 guitars, just good ones.

congrats on both ur posts.
by recommending the bullet to new guys uve flooded eg with a wealth of something. not sure what.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

you really have to try it, i have a old squier bullet strat, play it for 2 years now and it's great, it can handle every sound, from nice cleans to metal distortion, even when its only a s-s-s config.
i love the guitar, the best deal for the price IMO.

p.s. i am not a noob, i played for more than 2 years now and played many different guitars in the meanwhile.
the bullet is a great beginner guitar and a great deal for the price.
maybe the new bullets are crap, my one is great.
But i will get a new guitar soon, because i just can't see the strat shape anymore and i want a decent guitar with humbuckers, so...

but go for the squier!
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
everyone bashes squiers, but half of them havent even used one. Squiers arent bad for a first guitar at ALL as long as you get the good wood, i think its brasswood and not the plywood.
Not Everyone I Just Happened To Get A Dean Not An Evo it Was An MLX Same Principle Though And To Tell The Truth I Wish I Would Have Gotten The Dean In The First Place Ithe Neck Is Much More Faster Which Suits Me The ML Was Like $179.99 So Yeah The Evo's Are $99 And So Are The Vendetta's So As A Squire Owner I Say

GET THE EVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Frets99, HC giving you a bad time?
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Quote by Zen_Zepplin
Hey Frets99, HC giving you a bad time?

Whatsup, Zen!! ... Nah, I was doing some research and came up on some of the lamest inexepensive gear bashing I'd seen in a long time in this forum so I figured I'd join in the fun.

I also figure there must be a few folks in here who really know guitar as well!! So mostly widening my horizons. Never know what you can pick up...
Quote by jj1565
congrats on both ur posts.
by recommending the bullet to new guys uve flooded eg with a wealth of something. not sure what.

I'm all about reasonable discourse, young one. If you have any, look me up. Don't let the unimpressive post count dissuade you from potential dialogue.

I hope to pick up good info from this forum as well as disseminate whatever fragments of knowledge I may have.

I'm a gigging musician with about 37 years of playing experience.

I also want to add that my experience with the Dean Evo was limited to one guitar. Others may have been more fortunate than me.

There was a comment in one of these threads that bashed the Bullet because it had one pup and just a volume knob. You'd be amazed at what you can do with that. Joe Walsh has a Fender he tours with that has similar specs. Yes the Bullet is much less expensive and yes, most of them are not what I would call playable but I have a terrific one. Stock!

As far as plywood not being a tonewood. That's just silly. Laminates are used in guitars with varying results as are the accepted tonewoods. 90% of guitars are made from pieces. Very few guitars are hewn from one solid piece of wood.

I tend to haunt my local shops. I get to try a lot of guitars. Some are terrific, some not so much.
If you're gonna get a Squier I would recommend a higher end one such as uh I dunno is it the affinity series?

You can get quite a good Squier for about £120-180 here, they usually are a fair bit better than the bullets etc.
Quote by Jackolas
If you're gonna get a Squier I would recommend a higher end one such as uh I dunno is it the affinity series?

You can get quite a good Squier for about £120-180 here, they usually are a fair bit better than the bullets etc.

Most times they will be. But I wouldn't dismiss any guitar out of hand. I own a Squier 51, A Squier dbl fat Deluxe and the Bullet. All are terrific, I gig with them. I use them for different things. I also own 3 Fenders that are terrific. I love my Bullet. I agree, for a little more money, you can get a lot more guitar.

It's amazing what you can find for short money. A local Guitar shop had a used Fullerton tele for $35. I picked it up and it felt great. Obviously the guy who owned it previously had set it up perfectly. I have even kept the pups stock. It's as good as my Fender and Tradition teles. (I even talked them down to $30 because I like to)
While I agree that Squier takes an undeserved bashing, I think that two guitars at the same price, one being from higher quality materials, I would opt for the latter. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and Frets, you seem to have experienced at least two of them. They say that the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time. What I read in Jenny's post is that, as a rule, the Dean EVO is more likley to be a higher quality instrument. I'm pretty sure that Jenny is even the proud owner of Squier herself. She is also very knowledgebale and experienced in the world of guitar, as I'm quite sure you'll find out the more you visit this forum.

As far as most Bullets go, it's the only rig over which I'd choose a B.C. Rich.
ur a funny guy, frets.

you admit alot of the plywood bullets arent playable, and yet you're still recommending them because u happened to get a good one.

believe it or not, im actually not as young as u think, have been playing for well over 10yrs, love my alder squier tele, and am still not impressed with u.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

get a barracuda like $150 canadian, comes in LP or SG, doesn't look exact but sounds good for its price
Quote by jj1565
ur a funny guy, frets.

you admit alot of the plywood bullets arent playable, and yet you're still recommending them because u happened to get a good one.

believe it or not, im actually not as young as u think, have been playing for well over 10yrs, love my alder squier tele, and am still not impressed with u.

Ah.. we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I don't ever recommend inexpensive guitars to newbs. They don't have the experience to sift through the chaff and find the nuggets. So I agree with you. It's best to steer them away from that. But for folks who have some experience playing, I would always recommend at least trying out the bargain bin. It's amazing what you might find. I have spent $420 for one guitar and it was worth every penny. My Fender Deluxe Player Strat. Having played loads of Gibby's, ( I love SG's) and MIA Fenders, I can honestly say that you can get 90% of those guitars for 20% of the price. Other than that, I tap the used market and look for bargains. I wasn't always like this. When I started out, if it wasn't a name brand, it probably wasn't playable. But today the market has really opened up. Two of my favorite teles are made by Tradition. Together they cost me $450 and I'd stack them up against Fenders MIA for sound and playability.

I was doing research on a guitar and fell into 3 or 4 threads in this forum of the usual bash the plywood cheapie variety. I guess it hit a nerve, because I find that too many people are turned away from a guitar they might otherwise enjoy. They sometimes also end up paying quite a premium for a name brand because of that.

We may have some common ground as I love my teles as well. What music do you play?
Quote by mrbreeze
While I agree that Squier takes an undeserved bashing, I think that two guitars at the same price, one being from higher quality materials, I would opt for the latter. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and Frets, you seem to have experienced at least two of them. They say that the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time. What I read in Jenny's post is that, as a rule, the Dean EVO is more likley to be a higher quality instrument. I'm pretty sure that Jenny is even the proud owner of Squier herself. She is also very knowledgebale and experienced in the world of guitar, as I'm quite sure you'll find out the more you visit this forum.

As far as most Bullets go, it's the only rig over which I'd choose a B.C. Rich.

I quite agree that to all a different taste and I didn't mean to be offensive to Jenny. I apologize for coming off that way but I chose to follow the spirit of her first post response which I took as both funny and challenging as is your post.

As for the EVO. I don't normally buy online. I like to feel the guitar. I simply thought I'd try it out for the short money. Maybe I got the runt of the litter but it was awful. I'm certainly hopeful that others got a better one. On another forum, a fellow has the Vendetta model. Same price. He plays out with it. But that's my point. There's a fellow who has a thread currently at mojocaster. He is building telecasters out of pine. Not one of your normal tonewoods. It sounds amazing. There is a lot under the sun.

It was not too long ago that all Squiers were being treated with the same attitude. I take my Squier 51 to a blues open mic with all these old guys playing Suhrs, Gibby's n Fenders. It get's big respect. Time and time again, folks looking at it in disbelief that a cheap guitar can sound that good. Yet, the process for me is the same. Play them. Some are terrific, some can be teriffic with work and others just don't have it. I feel the same way about expensive guitars. At this point in my life, the only reason, I've found to buy a Gibson is for the investment quality. And I don't need it.

I play my guitars.

Move away from the BC Rich however... only pain and sorrow there!!
yea, i could tell you were the real deal.
and i usually dont take cheap shots like the bullet remark but, like you i guess i was in that kind of mood.
if u look around, ull see im usually the last to bash squier, but ive had some bad experience with that particular model, and ive got a dean/schecter dealer around the corner. he's always got a few low ends up on the wall and im usually amazed at the dean's value.

i only have acoustic, me and a mic, things up on my music site. i really need to update my link.

i play with a group on weekends. but we hardly ever record because time is tight.

and mrbreeze^ as always.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2