Hello. I have a simple riff, endlessly repeatable. But I'd like to compose a solo to it.

I am only one man so I can't play Both at same time.
anyway here's my riff. these are the regular major chord shapes.

the rythmn is DUN da-DUN da-DUN... "rest"
--------------1------2------3------4
da's and x's are semi mutes. basically a strum while changing your hand position but not completly removing your fingers

1st measure
E xG xA

2nd measure
"letting the A ring"

3rd measure
A xG xE

4th measure
"letting the E ring"

Now Assume I know nothign but where the notes are on the fret board. How could I go about composing a solo to this? What key is this? suggested modes? etc.

ty.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Last edited by a Peyote Coyote at May 30, 2006,
I'm sorry but, that reall doesn't make sense, If you write out the chord progression like this

C, Am,D,G

or whatever, Ill tell you what key its it and what you can improvise around it.
Its always happy here
E, G, A

rest

A, G, E

rest

E, G, A, rest, A, G, E, rest

Also please tell me WHY! dont just say what key but if you could explain why that key I'd love to learn it.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Last edited by a Peyote Coyote at May 30, 2006,
OK, I'm assuming they are all major chords, making this a bit more complex as its non diatonic. The 1st E has a G# and you then play a G natural making this a bit harder. TBH, id just use E major pentatonic, which has the same notes as C# minor. Might sound a bit dodgy over the G chord though, why do you have to write something that isnt theoretically correct eh!
Its always happy here
lol!! how so? You told me a bunch of stuff that i now have to piece together. liek i now have to look up diatonic.

O and what happens if i do this.

E, G, A, A, F#, E
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Quote by a Peyote Coyote
E, G, A

rest

A, G, E

rest

E, G, A, rest, A, G, E, rest

Also please tell me WHY! dont just say what key but if you could explain why that key I'd love to learn it.

Well, there are a few keys it could be in. Let's start with the notes of each chord.

E = E G# A
G = G B D
A = A C# E

Put them all together and you have A B C# D E G G# A.

Now, this doesn't fit in any one key. You can tell because there are three chromatic tones in the sequence - G G# A (they are all a half step apart).

So one of the notes must be out of key. This is where you have more flexibility; for this example I'll use G# as the "out of key" note.

So eliminating G# - which is negligible because it's the out of key note - we have A B C# D E G A. This fits well with the D major scale (D E F# G A B C# D).

So we picked D major. What now?

Well, none of our chords are D. So we generally use a different scale than the D major scale. Most players will use a scale whose root note matches with the chord name (i.e. a G scale over G chord, etc.). In this case, I would just use the A major pentatonic scale, which is largely personal preference. You could also conceivably use the G major pentatonic, E minor pentatonic, or E major pentatonic scales, among a myriad of other scales.

All these scales have notes that mostly match the notes of the chords.
A major pentatonic - A B C# E F#
G major pentatonic - G A B D E
E minor pentatonic - E G A B D
E major pentatonic - E F# G# B C#

-SD
Quote by a Peyote Coyote
Hello. I have a simple riff, endlessly repeatable. But I'd like to compose a solo to it.

I am only one man so I can't play Both at same time.
anyway here's my riff. these are the regular major chord shapes.

the rythmn is DUN da-DUN da-DUN... "rest"
--------------1------2------3------4
da's and x's are semi mutes. basically a strum while changing your hand position but not completly removing your fingers

1st measure
E xG xA

2nd measure
"letting the A ring"

3rd measure
A xG xE

4th measure
"letting the E ring"

Now Assume I know nothign but where the notes are on the fret board. How could I go about composing a solo to this? What key is this? suggested modes? etc.

ty.

I would suggest trying something like the router I am taking, I want to write second guitar parts for some of the songs I have written but instead of only doing it when someone else is around I am using guitar pro to tab the songs into (in the process of learning all the thoery right now though so I know how to write the music properly), then I just loop it and crank up the computer speakers or use headphones while playing guitar over it.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Put them all together and you have A B C# D E G G# A.

Now, this doesn't fit in any one key.

Can't you view this the A bebop scale? Just needs an F# more, but I'd say it could be that. That.. or your nice suggestions
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
^ It could be the bebop dominant, yes.

However, I mostly use the major 7th in that scale while descending from the octave to the dominant 7th; I don't know how well it would be used over a progression like this. Interesting idea though.