im thinking of putting 3 emgs into my Epi sg custom to replace the humbuckers and i was wondering if anyone knew any guitarist's that have any 3 emg combinations and if so do they sound good?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I've seen 1 humbucker and 2 single coil EMG combinations, but never 3 humbuckers.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
im great at sweeping but horrible at pinch harmonics

I don't know anyone that uses 3 EMG's but Zack Wylde uses a 81/85 Combination, and James Heitfield uses a 60/81 comb. So maybe have the middle one a 81, and the bridge can be a 85 and the neck a 60. It's just an idea. Or maybe yet get 2 EMG's and Duncan(or whatever instead). The 81 is great for solo and high end stuff, 85 and 60 are for rhythum but the 60s got more balls.
thats pretty much what i was thinking but thought id check it out anyways, thanks guys
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
i would put 81 in the bridge 89 in the middle and 60 in the neck

I just dont like the 85
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I'd have the 60 in the midle, 85 in the neck and 81 in the bridge.

I love the middle bumhucker sound, and the 60 has the best cleans IMO
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
i wouldent put one in the middle . its a waste of moey who really uses the middle pickup. and if i was gunna put one in the middle id put a passive one in it to get a better clean sound
ya but you like billy joel so you dont matter

jk but most people really dont use the middle pickup and correct me if im wrong but isnt there only a 3 way switch for 3 pickups on that guitar?
Quote by tommyt
yeah .... whats wrong with billy joel

the question is whats NOT wrong with billy joel

but back to what i was saying. your going to dump over $300 into a guitar and you cant even combine the pickups. i would invest in a 5 way switch before buying pickups. with a 5 way i can see the middle pickup being useful
damn you loudog damn you and your bloody good logic ..... apart from the billy joel thing cos quite simply, billy joel kicks your ass
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Quote by tommyt
damn you loudog damn you and your bloody good logic ..... apart from the billy joel thing cos quite simply, billy joel kicks your ass

maybe in a smallest penis contest. then id lose for sure... and my logic does pretty much kick ass
81/60/81

the 81 has kickass lead tones out of the neck spot and then you got the good cleans balanced out in the middle
why would you put a 5 way switch onto a les paul. anyway you can retain the current 3 way toggle switch all you gotta do is wire it up so that in any position a humbucker will be active. also you gotta make way for battery so you should probably do a 18v conversion as well
actually lol there going into my SG lol my les paul currently has a set of bareknuckle mississippi queen p90's heading its way lol. i think lou dog was just talking about a 5 way switch for combining the pickups but tbh .... im not realy that bothered about that, but thatnks for the advice on the battery conversion
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
ah ok my bad, yeh you could fit 3 humbuckers into it and use 3 vol. and 1 tone. and the 3 way switch to get different humbuckers. also if your gonna do a 18v conversion you can set it up in parallel or series
There was a n00b at my school who was playing a Gibson SG with 3 humbuckers. It looked so cramped.. I would buy like a neck and bridge humbucker, and then put a single coil in the middle. That would look better IMO. Plus, why do you need a humbucker in the middle anyway?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
There was a n00b at my school who was playing a Gibson SG with 3 humbuckers. It looked so cramped.. I would buy like a neck and bridge humbucker, and then put a single coil in the middle. That would look better IMO. Plus, why do you need a humbucker in the middle anyway?

because theres already a humbucker in the middle position and i'd rather not have gaping holes around a single coil pickup lol
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Quote by flyingjew34

well maybe he wants 3 different sound humbuckers plus it would look weird if you had 2 humbuckers and then an empty cavity in between. though you can dummy a humbucker just for looks
Quote by gaspasser88
I've seen 1 humbucker and 2 single coil EMG combinations, but never 3 humbuckers.

Sure you have! Paul Gilbert!