I do two different projects, I play in a alternative/acoustic rock band (Select Few) and I do country music as a side solo project. LOCALLY I've heard mixed reactions to Line 6 but pretty much the only music "scene" in my town is a bunch of Emo people (not a slam against them, but there's no variety for me to ask).

Are they REALLY that bad?
as practice amps, no, theyre not. I have a line 6 spider 2 15, and it's great for bedroom practicing, as well as jamming with other guitars. I also record with it, and I generally can get a good tone out of it. But frankly, there are better amps in the pricerange, like the roland and vox solid states.

and I wouldnt buy anything over 30 watts with a line 6 spider. They're not known for their reliability during gigs.

Check out the recordings in my sig for a sample of the tone you can get.

EDIT: oh, I see you play country music, and the low gain stuff, I suppose. Well then, it Line 6 probably isnt the way to go. At least not the spider line.
Last edited by GardenGnome26 at May 30, 2006,
I have a friend who owns one. Not sure of the model or anyting but I can check the next time I go over there. It's just okay in my opinion. It seems to be prone to a lot of feedback at random times. But it does have a lot of adjustment options and its really loud for its size. I'd probably take it if someone gave it to me for free.
I think Line 6 in general is pretty unreliable when it comes to live applications...I think their effects and modelling features sound really good...I just would rather use a Marshall tube head or something equally invinceable for playing live when anything can and will happen...I used to work as a local crew person for a lot of big tours to come through southern California and anyone I saw using Line 6 stuff had to be extra cautious with it; or in the case of Warped Tour one year, I saw a few guitarists break their Line 6 stuff on purpose because it was giving them problems
Just because you can express your opinion on an internet forum, doesn't mean you should.

MyMyMySpace
MyWork
Like some have said before: they're fine i guess for practice. Thing is though that for the same money you can get a much nicer sounding Vox or Roland. Which makes it for me personally, not interesting.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

I find it funny how you guys base you opinion on a whole amp division of a company on their worst amps. Spyders do suck, but their upper end stuff is awesome.
that's why its important to ask, which model he's talking about.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
very digital sounding.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Flextones are nice, a friend of mine has one (actually a few) and they nail some pretty good tones on it.

Vettas are supposedly good (good enough for ron thal), haven't played one personally though.
Quote by MastaBassist10
No, the FlexTone is one of the best solid-state modeling amps I've ever played out of.

Bah, stick to bass. I was shopping for specifically a modeling amp for Xmas...tried out the Flextone III and the Spider 2. Hated them both, esp. after comparing them to the Vox AD30VT and AD50VT. The sound is...lifeless and digital. My wife, who isn't a guitarist but is a professional musician, pretty much cringed when I started playing the Line 6 amps. As far as Vettas go, no way in hell I'm paying 4 figures for a modeling amp when there are Mesa/Boogies and Voxes out there to buy.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have the spider 210. I think it works quite well. I got the FBV express with it. The pedal runs off the power of the amp and is a seperate cable from the guitar. For practicing and playing with the band, All I need when I show up for practice or a gig is one outlet and I have no other effects pedals to lug around. We're a cover band and it sounds close enough for nonmusicians and drunk people. And considering what I spent on it, it's a beautiful thing, it's already paid for itself.

Just go and try one. Don't let the tone-nazi's bully ya.
heh. Yeah, that whole playing for 10 years and owning a half dozen different amplifiers thing kind of warps my sense of what sounds good But yeah, if tone isn't an issue, then by all means, get a Line 6
Hi, I'm Peter
Line 6 tends to make very digital sounding amps. Wait make that ridiculously digital. Yeah they are pretty reliable and affordable but if you could plug a guitar into your watch that is what it would probably sound like. Now I speak pretty much exclusively of the Spiders because that is what I'm sure he is referencing. I say go out and get a Vox or a Gibson amp, or ooh a Mesa Lone Star!
i have one and use it as a practice amp, but on the higher gain settings the amp sounds too digital.
I have one and i find the clean channel is better than the others. i use a boss MT-2 for distortion and i get a pretty nice tone. if i went back in time i probably would not have gotten it though
personally i think line sixs suck all together unless u play techno were u need a digital sound they would be perfect but ya dont waste ur money on them when u can get sometin like a mesa which rock or for a reasonable price a crate which are very good
I once was playing with another guitarist. He has a line 6 spider 2 75 watt. And I have a vox ad15vt. The cleans sounded like an icepick to the head, and the high notes aswell. I thought the distortion was pretty good but still my vox was better.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
I use a PODxt Live to augment the sound of my Marshall. Using an A/B box, you can switch between using the front end (and therefore preamp sounds) for stomps/FX only and the FX Return/valve power stage for the amp sims, depending on what ya want. No issues here with tone, but be prepared to do a lot of tweaking to get what you want...
My Band Me

Would you rather have a bunch of mediocore tones simulating great ones? Or one or two great ones? I made my desician, I know what I want and tone matters.
Quote by dimebag4eva
personally i think line sixs suck all together unless u play techno were u need a digital sound they would be perfect but ya dont waste ur money on them when u can get sometin like a mesa which rock or for a reasonable price a crate which are very good

says the guy who just joined

Line 6's suffer a horrible reputation because of the Spider 2 series. They're models above that series are however, much better. Like Cmogi10 said, it's a matter of how many good tones you want to 1 great tone you want. If you haven't decided what style you're into, modelling amps are perfect. Versatile as hell. Like any amp however, you have to be prepared to sit down with it, and spend a lot of time finding the sound you want. But when you find it, you'll be highly pleased.
I have a Spider II and like it

Sure there are better amps, there always are but for what I need it's pretty good
Quote by MaAal_MaAan
i don't see any reason not to. Although, when i was little, i had a bad experience and pissed all over my feet, i've since improved my aim dramatically and always get in the hole.

Last.FM
Don't base your opinions solely on what you read on these forums, a lot people are just repeating what they've read or, even worse, misreading what they've read and then making a post on bull**** thinking it's fact.
I'm not trying to sound cocky or be offensive, but it's true.
I've played the lower end Line 6 amps and they do sound digital and it hurt my ears every time something came out of that amp.
I played this amp through a Fender Strat and an Ibanez S something: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=458
The "insane" mode was incredible. In terms of playing (thrash) metal it owned my Roland Cube 60. I thought the distortion was very impressive.
I have not played a Flextone, however for the price they're being sold at (at least in the UK) you could probably get a nicer tube amp.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
the spider 2's love feedback. i have to bung my ears up because both our guitarists use them, and whenever its at a band volume level and they leave it still for a split second stood 2 foot away facing AWAY from the speaker, it feedbacks.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Spiders are good for home practice, nothing else. They suck for band practice and are useless for gigging because they start to clip and sound like shìt as soon as you turn the master volume past 4. Terrible, terrible amps.

All models up from the Spider are good amps. I had a Flextone III combo + floorboard on loan for a month while my El Diablo was being repaired. I used it at band practice, and on the last day I had it, I got to use it for a gig. It sounded fine. I think it's a fantastic, very versatile amp that when used properly, can give you almost endless tonal possibilities.

And I would love to get my hands on a new Vetta. Tried a Vetta II a while back and I honestly think it was one of the best sounding amps I've ever tried, tube or solid state.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I have little knowledge about Flextones and Vettas but looking at the prices of Vettas they seem very expensive. More expensive than Peaveys and a few Mesa Boogies I've seen and maybe sligtly more than the Marshall JCM900.
In your opinion, Crunch, is it worth it?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Vettas are expensive, and that's why I won't get one. I don't care how many bells and whistles it has, it's not worth that much IMO. You can get Mesa Boogies for the price of a new Vetta II. That's just now right.

But for the price, the Flextone III does giver you a plethora of very useable tones for a decent price. You can definately get better sounding and more powerful amps for the money, but nothing that will have the wide gamut of tones available to you. And that being said, if you want a great, fabulous tone, then you're probably best off looking at a Marshall or somethign else all tube. If you want good tone, but good versatility and flexibility, as well as all the effects you can possibly need, then the Flextone III is a great choice.

And IMO, having seen the feature list for both, I'd recommend the Flextone HD head over the combo, but the combo isn't bad at all.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
wouldn't suggest a spider, but for solid state modelling Flextones are very nice (but I wouldn't recommend it over a POD and maybe just a used classic 30 or something) - and if you have your rig complete, a lot of people with pro equipment like the vettas - ultra modelling, not intended as a main rig
-Mike
The Vetta is a waste of money. And I don't think the Flextone is really that great of a combo. This is just my honest opinion. I don't hate Line 6 as a company -- I own their Modulation Modeler and I love it. I think their effects modeling pedals are great. I've never tried a POD. But after trying both a Spider and a Flextone III, I can't say I was impressed at all with Line 6 amps.
Hi, I'm Peter
The Spider has probably about the best metal sound in the price range. And don't say "AD30VhXtzorzz & cUbE rOxxxORzzz" because if you actually played them you'd know that neither can get a heavy/death metal sound. I had a Valvetronix 50, and got rid of it because all it could do were classic rock and clean. Spiders have a good metal sound, the cleans are alright; but as Crunch said you can't use them to gig, they clip like crazy after only about half way cranked, and get MASSIVE amounts of feedback. But they're great practice and recording amps if you can't afford anything better, just a little tweaking and you can get a decent, usable heavy tone.

I've also played the Vetta II and Flextone, both for about an hour, sitting there, tweaking. It's amazing the versatility and range of tones you can get from them, I love it. And when you consider how much the Flextone III is, and how many different sounds you can get out of it, it's a cost-effective alternative to many other amps. Obviously the Vetta isn't cheap, but it's even more mindblowing the possibilites it can achieve, it has like twice as many models as the Flextone, and I got lost with that!

And of course without tweaking they'll sound digital, they use computer circuitry, and plus "digital" doesn't really describe the sound character of anything. I'd recommend actually playing things before starting a fad that everyone follows, especially with all the insecure little kiddies down here lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Heh...well, maybe that's my problem. I don't think metal sounds sound that great. For example, I think the Peavey XXX is a sterile turd. I like warmth, brightness, and character, and every Line 6 amp I've played hasn't given me that.

Newsflash: Not everyone who doesn't agree with you is on the bandwagon. I'm at a point in my life where I can buy anything I want, and after trying 2 Line 6 amps, I went with the Valvetronix. Different strokes for different brushes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by JimiMan1535
The Spider has probably about the best metal sound in the price range. And don't say "AD30VhXtzorzz & cUbE rOxxxORzzz" because if you actually played them you'd know that neither can get a heavy/death metal sound. I had a Valvetronix 50, and got rid of it because all it could do were classic rock and clean. Spiders have a good metal sound, the cleans are alright; but as Crunch said you can't use them to gig, they clip like crazy after only about half way cranked, and get MASSIVE amounts of feedback. But they're great practice and recording amps if you can't afford anything better, just a little tweaking and you can get a decent, usable heavy tone.

The cube can do the death metal tho.

and i agree spider only for small pratice. but for giging look at others.

BTW the POD's from line 6 are some of their best products. Excellent modelers
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Yea have a POD, use it for recording.

And I've played the Cube 30, head to head with the Vox, and there still isn't enough gain and "umph" for me, seemed to mid and high end based, on R-Fier i think that's whta it was. Not an accurate model of a rectifier lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^or use a pod for nigh playign with headphones/ other time when an amp is too loud. I also liked my pod when i plugged it into the FX return/Power amp section. It gave it a nice umph and warmth.

the metal stack(5150 model) is the model that i used for death metal trying out.
well yeah POD is one of those things that's just so nice to have - so fun to fool around with, acts as guitar port, VERY simple and decent recordings, and dont even lie - you know there are some nice tones in there!

go to the Decadawn website (google) and get razertears - listen to the guitar, it's pod

and if you're rich a vetta isn't a waste, it's fun! :p
-Mike
I have a pod. The tones i can get otu of it are extremely nice. Best 300 bucks i spent
Has anyone with Line 6 gear had to send their stuff back for repairs??? I don't know how well UG's members read up how some of these equipment companies are doing in terms of business, but I think its a pretty bad sign when an amp/effects company can't even show up to NAMM for the last 3 years with any new products (besides the Variax), because the company's repair and warantee department has exhausted the company's resources. Not owning a Line 6 myself, I don't know if its true or not, but a friend of mine who owns two different Flextones had to send one back for repairs and Line 6 told him that the turnaroud time to have gear repaired and returned is like 18 months or more... If it really takes upwards of a year and half to get your amp back, to me that says that they're just not about designing and building their products right.
Just because you can express your opinion on an internet forum, doesn't mean you should.

MyMyMySpace
MyWork
^i heard the same thingfrom other members.
between the lack of quality and the robot monster sound, i just dont see any reason to suggest a line 6 over other amps in its price range.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011