So, I have an Epiphone Les Paul, and with what im getting, about 290$ left in my birthday budget. I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion (got from a friend of mine when he got EMGS) but, I dont need THAT much output yet (I want versitile, When I get the strat, Ill put the SD in the Les Paul for heavier songs)

So, im looking for pickups. Preferably ones with very high mids, and above average highs (good clarity), as well as ones (or at least the neck) to be very clean.

In the bridge, I dont want a drop in output from my stock Epiphone brige, but the change in tone I do want. (I can get good pinch harmonics, and it gives me plenty of distortion). Also, not so much output that the amp clips tooo much.

The neck should be about... 2/3 to 1/2 the output (this is for a reason, because I like having it just blues style clip on the neck in a tube amp, then switch to the bridge for all out rock).

I play, Blues (lots, and lots of blues), Rock, 70's hard rock, 60's stuff, 80's hair and thrash metal, up to some death metal (Dark Tranquility, Opeth, but I know my "future" amp can handle these with low output pickups and an overdrive pedal, it just sounds muffled with my guitar). Oh, and if you are wondering, I am indeed in a band at the moment, a Hair/Glam metal one... Kinda... Van Halen/Iron Maiden/Mr. Big style (Though, I only play rhythm, im not that great at lead)

My amp is an MG30DFX, but, as part of the birthday budget, im getting a Traynor Blue (which will arrive before the pickups anyway).

I was thinking of a ( all Dimarzio) Paf Pro in the Bridge, and a Paf, of Paf Classic in the neck. Any thoughts?
Last edited by TimmyPage06 at May 30, 2006,
I'd go with Seymour Duncan. But wait! you thought I was about to suggest some sort of Jazz/59/JB combo! Nay, I would go for an Alnico II-Pro in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge. Slash uses two A2P's, but I like the pearly gates in the bridge. It's got a nice bite in it, some find it almost a little too trebly, but I wouldn't say so myself. Even so, you have a tone control for a reason!
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
i don't like the paf pro in the bridge. A lot of people do, but i don't really think it's hot enough- it just sounds too "shred", IMO- I love shred, but not necessarily the tone. I'm a walking contradiction, I know...

swineshead warthog/condor?

wolfetones (not too sure on the models)? maybe timber wolf in the bridge, and one of the paf ones in the neck?

high order, wcr and www.sdpickups.com might be worth a look too.

i'd look into some of those- if you have $290, at least some of the boutique guys are open to you...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But will the Condor provide enough of a loss in gain to go from hard rock to blues with a flick of the selector switch? (Once again, the output thing).

Oh, and Dave, you've answered like, 2 of my threads before, because I kept thinking I could get new pickups but the store was too far, my parents were all like bleh, and I had not enough money. Now I have money, a store opened in walking distance, and my parents (though I love them for that amazing birthday budget) can screw themselves (in the nice way, as long as they dont screw each other... ewwww)

And another, Oh, and Dave, I absolutely love Paul Gilbert's tone, and he uses Paf Pro (hence the thought)
Last edited by TimmyPage06 at May 30, 2006,
Quote by TimmyPage06
(a) But will the Condor provide enough of a loss in gain to go from hard rock to blues with a flick of the selector switch? (Once again, the output thing).

(b) And another, Oh, and Dave, I absolutely love Paul Gilbert's tone, and he uses Paf Pro (hence the thought)

(a) i'd say so. it is pretty low output. but you might want to check with SH.

(b) gilbert has used the tone zone and super distortion as well- you kind of need to find out which tone of his you like, and which pickup he was using for it. Which is kinda hard...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like his tone in his more modern instructional videos, most of which he's using the PGM300, which, last time I checked was his main one with Pro's in it.
^ ah, ok. If that's the tone you want, go with the paf pros! bear in mind the amp he uses has a major effect on the tone too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The amp he's using, uses the same tubes, and similar speakers to a marshall, and the tone has been likened to a marshall, as has the amp im getting (Traynor Blue).

So, a standard Paf in the neck? (I hear the Pro is a bit muddy in the neck position, I want clear, crystal freakin clear).

I love you Dave MC. In a platonic, but not entirely un-homosexual way.
Quote by TimmyPage06
(a) The amp he's using, uses the same tubes, and similar speakers to a marshall, and the tone has been likened to a marshall, as has the amp im getting (Traynor Blue).

(b) So, a standard Paf in the neck? (I hear the Pro is a bit muddy in the neck position, I want clear, crystal freakin clear).

(c) I love you Dave MC. In a platonic, but not entirely un-homosexual way.

(a) yeah, that should get you pretty close. Probably not exact though, unless you get the same amp.

(b) the paf pro should be fine in the neck. It was clear when i tried it. I haven't tried the paf though, but if shred a la gilbert is what you're after, I'd go with the paf pro.

(c)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?