Ok so im not a begginer but (and this sounds very odd since ive been playing for about 3 years) i never learned tapping. I also learned harmonics but don't think im doing it right.

If anyone could help me understand how to tap that would be great; harmonics would be helpful as well

-sam
Last edited by sam453 at May 30, 2006,
Tapping is exactly what it sounds like. You tap a note on the fretboard with you fingers. Usually tapping means right-hand tapping. This is basically a hammer-on with your right hand (well, not the whole hand, but a finger(s) ).
A good exercise is this, the first part of the solo from Metallica's "One":

T - Tap
P - Pull of

T    P
e|-19-15-12-| x8

T    P
e|-20-15-12-| x8

T    P
b|-19-15-12-| x8

T    P
b|-19-15-12-| x8

T    P
b|-15-13-10-| x8

T    P
b|-16-13-10-| x8

To begin with, your tapping won't make much sound, as the tapping is usually done fast, since your right-hand finger-tips are still a bit soft, they'll somewhat mute the strings. But start a speed you're comfortable with (then increase) and your fingers will gradually thoughen/strengthen) up.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Last edited by SinnaSatan at May 30, 2006,
Learn the tapping part 2 eruption its super easy and great for tappin, as far as learing, ive always found figurin it out 4 urself works best.
oh kewl thanks

I thought thats what it was; I saw Eddie doing it during Eruption (the video), but wasnt quite sure if i was doing it right
I second this topic. I've have been playing the guitar for a year. I think i get the jiff of tapping as you use your pick hand to tap the notes just like a hammer on? (probably wrong). Can someone explain about harmonics because I hear people talking about it all the time?
?
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Quote by musicmyrock
I second this topic. I've have been playing the guitar for a year. I think i get the jiff of tapping as you use your pick hand to tap the notes just like a hammer on? (probably wrong). Can someone explain about harmonics because I hear people talking about it all the time?
?

Well now that someone explained it i get it; basically do what your saying but use your fingerr, not the pick. If you can watch erution (the music video), then see how he does it. you use your right finger (if your a right handed) to tap the note (like 12 4h7) you tap the 12 with your right finger, and with your left you do 4h7.
What about Harmonics?
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Natural Harmonics - "Hover" above the fret on which you desire (usually 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th etc.) and pick the string then release until you get that lovely harp-like sound. Check out the into to Sanitarium by Metallica for a better understanding of the sound.

Pinch Harmonics - Correct me if I'm wrong but its the harmonic squeals. Hold the pic so that your thumb overlaps the pic but you are still able to pick the string and use your thumb to mute the string...If you have a wah set it to toe all the way and you can get great pinchies assuming your using lots of distortion.At first it might just sound like a dull thud, but practice makes perfect!
Originally Posted by Teleprompters
people taking dumps in my guitar case
Oh and By the way, and Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society) and Children of Bodom songs contains lots of Pinchies..or artificials...WTF is the difference anyway!!!?!
Originally Posted by Teleprompters
people taking dumps in my guitar case