hey, i know this is going to sound so stupid but i was wondering why it is important to learn the notes on the fretboard and what are the benefits? thanks in advance
When you know the notes, you're a better musician. You know what keys songs are in and it's easier to write your own songs, including solos. Every guitarist should know how to read music.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
does anyone know where there are any lessons on learning to read actual notation and not just tab
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
how can you tell what key the songs are in just by knowing the notes? also, how does it help with solo's? (p.s. sorry to be a pain)
As with just about anything on the guitar, the more you know about something
the better. In this case all the note names on the fretboard.

If you are playing classical or need to read sheet music knowing the fretboard
note names is a must.

If you want to learn to solo and improvise, learning the note names is almost
entirely unnecessary. You only really need to know a string or two really well.
Enough to put your patterns into the right key.
If you know all the notes on the 6th string, you know lots of keys, and knowing keys means you can improv to any song by applying a scale over that key. And scales are how you make solos.
Quote by Live Forever
how can you tell what key the songs are in just by knowing the notes? also, how does it help with solo's? (p.s. sorry to be a pain)

circle of fifths. if you wanna know, go to the musician talk thread. they know what they're doing. and i'm lazy.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
knowing notes is probably one of the most useful things once you get it down, because it allows you to really understand how music works, which leads to better writing. if you don't want to learn notes then at least analyze music by the intervals, because it leads to the same knowledge.

if you don't want to go that far, learning the E and A strings is important for barre chords and scale patterns.