I'm not going to say it's impossible to take off a carved top on a guitar, but I'm pretty sure it must be damn hard. Has anyone ever tried? Or are there any luthiers that may be willing to try this that you know of?
Very true. But if I have enough money I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the luthier try removing the set-in neck and resetting after all the work has been done inside the guitar.
I think the way to go is with steam and heat...try using a steaming iron, but don't sue me if it goes awry.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^He wants to get the the neck tenon. Pretty simple actually.
And your sig is really big...could you make it a bit smaller?
you're retarded. make it smaller. I don't make mine huge and red so people will PM me and tell me LOLZ UR ZIG IS TEH FUnNiEz!!

I have no idea how to take of a carved top. I'm guessing it would be way more trouble than it's worth unless it's like a $3000 guitar.
Quote by Schecter-06
i can take stuff out but the reason it is big is, if ppl have at leat one schecter guitar then when they see my posts my sig will pop in thier face and they will pm me

Why do you care if you get PMed? Does it make you feel popular and loved or something?
You just look like a n00b. Pick your choice, would you rather be pseudo-loved or just considered another useless n00b. It's annoying.
Haha well lets ignore this little side conversation and get back on topic shall we? Thanks to the people who responded suggesting some things.

So a steaming iron, huh? Hmm. Sounds interesting enough, and it just might work. I'm gonna strut around and see what I can dig up about that. Thanks!
^Sure...I think there may even be a tut on projectguitar.com, but I may have gotten it mixed up with something else...
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Why do you care if you get PMed? Does it make you feel popular and loved or something?
You just look like a n00b. Pick your choice, would you rather be pseudo-loved or just considered another useless n00b. It's annoying.

do you not see that ppl have to pm me if they wanna get into the I <3 Schecter's Club....

i just make it big so ppl will notice it, its working it looks like cuz you guys are talking about it...
Yeah, but people are talking about President Bush alot, and does that mean he's right? Maybe far-right...
^Haha, Schecter, you got PWNED!
Are there any luthiers out there that would want to help me out with this project? Theres a ton of more stuff I'd need help with. I'm also even thinking about adding a carved top to my SG. Help with that maybe too?
I'd check out the projectguitarforums...
Algee(luthier guy) went and hot himself banned, and corduroyew might be able to help, but I think he's more of an acoustic guy.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I'd check out the projectguitarforums...
Algee(luthier guy) went and hot himself banned, and corduroyew might be able to help, but I think he's more of an acoustic guy.

Cool, thanks again for the help.
^It might work to just saw off the carved top too.
Sorry I can't help more.
So what do you wan to do, take of the top and reattach it, or remove it and add a new top?
How handy are you with tools and what do you tools do you have access too?
ok well what i would do is (if you are up to making a new neck if its a set neck) saw off the neck, if its a set. if its a bolt on, tke it off.send it through a planer. simple? i think so. now, if you want to keep the top, i dunno how you would do that. as for if its a set neck joint. router out where the neck was and build a new neck because either way, you have to change the angle of the neck to body or you will have to raise your bridge an inch because you just took off what the bridge was sitting on. its is a very complex process. i have never done it nor seen it done. thats just what id do.
^ If he didn't want to keep the top, i was going to suggest he ran it though a planer, i've seen it done on a old LP that was getting a new top.
Taking the top of and keeping will be alot harder.
Algee said that he woudl cut off the bulk with a saw and use a router to take off the rest of the top. Of course your top is dead, so any chance of putting it back on is zero. So a new top would be needed.