I mentioned a little while ago about a gig my band is doing tomorrow. I'll tell you about how it goes tomorrow, if you're at all interested

Anyhow, a long story short, all the guitarists are gonna be playing through MGs (damn pushy organiser) and, well, I need a few tips to get the most out of it.

Firstly, I'm really after some sort of boost for solos. I'm wondering - for strokes kind of songs - is it possible to use the clean channel (with the gain high - 9 or 10) and then switch to the lead channel for solos?

Would the clean channel be heavy enough for this kinda stuff with the gain high? And would it sound weird going from clean to lead, because they're obviously voiced differently (I believe).

I'm a bit nervous because I'm used to getting a plentiful range of sounds out of my Cube and I'm just gonna be using a clean and lead channel for the night.

Tips?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
how are they making you use mgs? marshall sponsoring it or something?

anyways...no you can't really get a distortion outa the clean channal that way...all i can tell you to do is to have another distortion pedal to kick in...

of course its gonna sound like total and utter crap...
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ My words exactly.

I reckon you should spend all night to trying to get a decent sound out of it. Enjoy!
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

The woman is just very pushy tbh. There's limited space on stage and she doesn't want amp switching (there are three bands playing). Or maybe she just wants the "backline" to look "pretty", i.e. oooh there's too marshalls behind the bands, this must be a top notch event.

But yeh, thanks for your comments. I may forget the boosts, it's just other than starting off a lot louder than the other guitarist in my band, my solos can barely be heard.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I really can't tell u much about MG's.....damn that really sucks...But i still wish u all the well!
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Yeah it's quite funny. my band had it's first gig about a week ago and had the exact same problem. Only MG's etc etc anyway, for me there (though I didn't use it) there was a footswitch for the amp. To switch between clean and distortion. I used my own pedal. .Only tip I can say if you want a more "brighter" sound, just make sure the CONTOUR knob is fully up. If it's fully up (at 10) you'll be fine.

And no the clean channel won't give off distortion...clean channel, get it?
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
^ Cheers. I guess I'm now I'm gonna be able to get up close and personal with the infamous amps. I've never played one at gig volumes before (at least we're miking them - I think)
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^Yeah mine were miked, and i'm sure yours will be too. Least then you won't hear just the MG's.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
Last edited by adamk991100 at May 30, 2006,
At least they're the 100-watters, imagine playing a gig with the MG15DFX's ;-)

And I'm probably gonna bring my Cube along with me too as a ... errr "backup amp".
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
boost the mids in on your amp way up to help you cut through the mix...

should make you stand out.

then turn the volume on your guitar to around 5 for your rythm and jump it up when you wanta solo.

have the amp loud enough to play rythm at 5 and when you get rdy to go off...you'll be plenty loud knockin it up to 10.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Gutch220
Either
1- don't play the gig
2- switch amps anyway

thats bullsh*t

That is bullsh*t. Man I hope I dont run into that kinda problem, Id much rather play my 5150 then some other amp...
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
if it's cause she wants there to be more room put ur cube on top of the mg or if she wants it to look like all marshalls put ur cube behind the mg then mike it so it can be heard
To get the best out of an MG destroy it onstage. It makes for a great show. Yeah those damn ladies who don't understand equipment!
Tell her that the Marshall MGs suck and you wont play through it, bring your amp onto stage from backstage and just turn it up and begin playing so it blasts her ears and she doesnt bother you.
You might aswell take your amp there anyway, she might not even notice...

Just play around with the MG's setting before you play the gig, try and get a decent sound out of it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If your looking for the strokes sound you need to have a lot of mids and some highs that shine through. If you have a distotion pedal don't run it cranked, just add a little bit 1/4. They have a dirty clean tpye of sound.
Ok buddy. I have a Marshall MG100DFX. I gig with it ALL the time.

Here's what you do.

You know that when you press the DFX button with the footswitch, the effect will come on and it gets louder??

Here's what I do. I set the dial at a TINY bit of chorus. And the FX level at about 7.

Press the DFX button on the footswitch right before you solo. The effect will barely be noticed or not even noticed at all. And you get louder for your solo!

Hard to explain.
**** that bitch, bring you cube up there and switch right before your set. kick that marshall pile of **** over and give that old bag the one fingered salute and play some kick ass music. Or right before the show just ask her politely. Damn Bitch.
Somehow in this era of solid state amps people seem to forget about the volume knob. I guess its because with a tube amp you actually need it because it has so much to do with the guitar tone and the distortion...

Anyways, use your volume knob. Play at like 8 or something, then when the solo comes just knock it up to 8. And I'd use a stompbox for distortion, even a Boss DS-1 is better than the MG distortion...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Somehow in this era of solid state amps people seem to forget about the volume knob. I guess its because with a tube amp you actually need it because it has so much to do with the guitar tone and the distortion...

Anyways, use your volume knob. Play at like 8 or something, then when the solo comes just knock it up to 8. And I'd use a stompbox for distortion, even a Boss DS-1 is better than the MG distortion...

Whoa! from 8 to 8?! That's madness!
live with it and use effects. an MG on a clean channel through a shatload off FX's will sound *alright* where using the mg's distortion will ruin your set like playing a busted song....
^Haha.

Just use a distortion over the clean.

But... I took my Blues Driver into college and ran it through the clean of an AVT, and oh your god, it sounded so un-naturally buzzy and cheap, and it sounds great at home.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
mother ****er, i hope this kid stuck it to the (wo) man and either blew the speakers out or used his own amp, cause thats crap
Woh, thanks for all the responses, guys.

Here's the story - When we got to the venue both the MGs were already there, although we did decide to bring out Cubes. Anyway, they decided not to mic the MGs but to line them out. Get this - the put the volume almost all the way up then they controlled the level on the mixer! We tried, and tried.. and tried but to no avail - she was dead set on these MGs.

To cut a long story short, the amps pretty much stunk. The clean was awful. I didn't realise how good the cleans were on my Cube (Black Panel setting) until I played the MG. They were just completely lifeless, my playing sounded bad because of it!

The distortion was a tad better, but I wouldn't give it anymore than a 4/10. It was only voiced to do one thing, and that one hard rock, albeit I didn't have a lot of time to mess around with the settings. Oh, and the gain knob did jack sh*t, still pretty much the same sound with the gain on 0.

But the other 2 bands playing (who's the MGs belonged to ) were all of the hard rock/pop punk/emo variety and basically cranked the gain and played. But man did the sound got lost in the mix! The clean was just as painful to listen to as a spectator than it was to play. The distortion was worse. It just sounded like a mush. If I wasn't watching the bands I wouldn't have known they playing solos at some points. Some covers they played, it took 10 seconds or so for me to figure out what they were playing due to the "overdriven noise" the amps were putting out.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get some stuff off my chest. I can officially say I've tried an MG in a gigging situation now and I can officially say I DID NOT like it one bit. So at least something good as come out of it. The gig didn't go too badly for our band, but it would've run a lot smoother and I would've felt more comfortable with my own amp.

Anyway, thanks for reading, reply if you feel it neccessary - I'd like to hear your comments.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
what a cow.... surely if they wernt mic'ed you could have just plugged your cube in from behind the MG, if she 'really' wants to look heavy with her 2 marshalls :P.

anyway, how did the actually gig go, arbeit the shat guitar amps?
Yeh we tried every possible reason to get our amps on the stage but she kept coming up with excuses (lame ones at that) eventually her reasoning was "I'm sorry, I'm not going to go into this. We'll be using the Marshalls". Apparantly there wasn't enough room for the Cubes.

We got all got pretty heated before we went on, but in the end it didn't go too badly. We had quite a few of our loyal fans there so we got a good reception.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
thats all that matters then. i cant really see her problem. even when i only play 1 song at a school gig i throw my mates 30W spiderII, which is much better then the MG's the school have.

do you think you would play again with the same promoter? a gigs a gig at the end of the day....