Hey, I'm kind of a newb at guitar gear so I had a question for you.
I own an Epiphone Les Paul which I love and adore, and am pretty satisfied with. I didn't have to mess with it when I got it, and I use it to play everything from Classical to rock (Metallica, etc,etc). I was pretty tempted to buy a gibson LP though being a poor college student has me pretty screwed in terms of getting that kind of money. I was reading a few Gibson vs. Epiphone LP threads, and the concensus seemed to be that an LP was really good for the price, though it really needed a pickup change.
Given the kind of music I play, what do you think would be a good choice in pickups, if a change is needed?
Hmm...Being a Gibson LP owner I say drop some Gibson pups in there. They have a pretty wide selection fit for your choosing. Your guitar will always be an Epiphone but you can make some pretty good improvements to it. Electronics is a good place to start.
jw, what model of Epiphone LP do you have, as that might help. Some have maple tops but some have alder tops which affects the tone. Also, what amp you have impacts this decision. I'm personally a fan of Seymour Duncan pickups, probably a Jazz/JB combo from what I'm seeing now (don't be mislead by the name), though maybe a 59 in the neck would be good. A lot of people here like DiMarzio's too, look into them.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by PapaDelicious
jw, what model of Epiphone LP do you have, as that might help. Some have maple tops but some have alder tops which affects the tone. Also, what amp you have impacts this decision. I'm personally a fan of Seymour Duncan pickups, probably a Jazz/JB combo from what I'm seeing now (don't be mislead by the name), though maybe a 59 in the neck would be good. A lot of people here like DiMarzio's too, look into them.

I own an epiphone Les Paul Standard, and play through a Vox Valveronix AD50VT
i just got mine today (Jazz/Jb) and i have the same Epihpone Les Paul standard so ill let you know man soon..
ok, yeah. epiphone does make some pretty bad low end models, so I wanted to check :P
a lot of people are like "omg I want upgrade special II I have marshall mg!!1"
obviously your rig is better by a decent amount. I'd go with a '59/JB personally, the jazz is clean clean clean, but the 59 definitely distorts better and I overall like it better in the neck. if you wanted you could go with an even hotter bridge like a screamin' demon or an invader, but I doubt you'd need it.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by thelonewolf
I own an epiphone Les Paul Standard, and play through a Vox Valveronix AD50VT

ok just got my guitar back today, I have the same rig as you, (I use an Epi LP with Jazz/JB pickups just put in through a Vox AD50VT) I could post some clips of the sound if you would like tommorow although they will be very low quality because the only way I know how to record is to put our cheap computer microphone up to my amp while I'm playing, but it may at least give you an idea of the sound. (If anyone knows of another way to record for a fairly cheap cost let me know)

And by the way, I love the new sound, head and shoulders above the stock PUPs, I almost like it better than my strat although those are single coils and not humbuckers so its like comparing apples and oranges. Let me know if you want me to post a few low quality clips)
Gear:
Fender '72 Telecaster Custom Black
Fender American Strat Chrome Blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry (Jazz/JB)
Takamine EG530SSC (acoustic)
VOX AD50VT
Ibanez Tube Screamer
E-H Deluxe Memory Man
Quote by treagar
^^ yeah post em, I'd be interested to hear them if no-one else.

there I've posted them over on this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392543
Gear:
Fender '72 Telecaster Custom Black
Fender American Strat Chrome Blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry (Jazz/JB)
Takamine EG530SSC (acoustic)
VOX AD50VT
Ibanez Tube Screamer
E-H Deluxe Memory Man
well, what's your budget for the pickups? do you play more, say, metal than classic rock, etc.? break it down into percentages (roughly, lol) for all the music you play.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?