Ok I know the pentatonic scale is a good start but should I learn both the major and minor scales? I pretty much memorized the A minor pentatonic but how can I use that to improvise with songs?

Thanks
Last edited by m3cadet at May 30, 2006,
Make sure you know your major scales! And don't memorize scales. Learn the theory behind them, and know why you're playing the notes you are. Isn't phrygian a mode, not a scale?
Once you know one pentatonic scale, you know them all. Just move the whole thing up or down the fretboard and you can play in any key. Just find the song you want to solo to, figure out what key its in (the name of the first chord/powerchord/note in the main riff) and go crazy.
CowboyUP wrote:

Once you know one pentatonic scale, you know them all. Just move the whole thing up or down the fretboard and you can play in any key. Just find the song you want to solo to, figure out what key its in (the name of the first chord/powerchord/note in the main riff) and go crazy.

thats exactly what i do! lol. it works fine, but it gets kinda boring after a while.

no, i do not know how to quote
Quote by calebrocker
CowboyUP wrote:

thats exactly what i do! lol. it works fine, but it gets kinda boring after a while.

no, i do not know how to quote

After you find the first chord, then how do you use a scale to solo using that chord?
Quote by Deception Guru
minor pentatonic, major scale, minor scale, blues scale and phrygian, required.

thats exactly right. learn minor pentatonic because its easiest, but it has a sadder feeling to it. then learn the major scale for a happier sound, and then go into the other three.