i cant seem to do a vibrato after i bend. I always pull the string down trying to do a vibrato when the string is bent. Any tips?
do you mean that the string returns to its original (unbent) position when you do the vibrato?

i would try just straight up finger strength so you can do the vibrato in the bend position.

also make sure that you bend the string under the adjacent string in the direction of your bend so you can bend further without striking the other string.
Last edited by z e r o at May 30, 2006,
If you have it, use the tremolo bar. If not, do it but pulling the string a little up.
make sure your doing vibrato sideways not up and down
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
u could bend with the ring finger and make support with the index and the middle fingers to make a vibrato a whole lot easier - well that's how i do it.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by pmeg568c
make sure your doing vibrato sideways not up and down

Up and down is the way to go, watch any great player (minus classical players).

It takes time, practice, and strength... watch others do it and work up to it.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by radiodeadhead5
i cant seem to do a vibrato after i bend. I always pull the string down trying to do a vibrato when the string is bent. Any tips?

I'm just recovering from the exactly same problem mate. What you need to do is practice repeating full tone bends like this:

e|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-5b7r5b7r5b7r5-------|
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|

Practice this for a while, even though you feel comfortable doing it. After a few days, try to do it really fast. Your brain will make you play the bends shorter so to make up time and you'll have vibrato. Beware though, this is just an exersise to get you started.
Quote by redwing_suck
Up and down is the way to go, watch any great player (minus classical players).

It takes time, practice, and strength... watch others do it and work up to it.

hmm i've been doing it side to side, and you know, you have a point. side to side is pretty much useless for doing vibrato on an already bent note, and if you watch any great player doing it, he's going up and down (well, except bb king, i've seen him cheat). but yeah, in the long run i think it'll pay off to do it that way. though it's a bitch if you play thick strings like me...
^Then you shake the guitar, not the strings... hold the string in place (sort of), and move the whole guitar... watch SRV do it.

Side to side while bending is hard and impractical. Plus since you're bending, you're pretty much outside the realm of classical music, so going up and down is the way to go.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
^Then you shake the guitar, not the strings... hold the string in place (sort of), and move the whole guitar... watch SRV do it.

Side to side while bending is hard and impractical. Plus since you're bending, you're pretty much outside the realm of classical music, so going up and down is the way to go.

Actually, I find the back-and-forth motion a bit easier than up and down. It's generally much easier to do tight fast vibrato this way, as well.

*shrug*

To each their own.