im reading tabs for a solo thats telling me to do whole notes/half notes/eighth notes but...how do i measure that amount of time? do i use a metronome? if so, what numbers do i set it at?
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
Quote by weezer ate cake
im reading tabs for a solo thats telling me to do whole notes/half notes/eighth notes but...how do i measure that amount of time? do i use a metronome? if so, what numbers do i set it at?

Do many who just know how to play from reading tabs not know how to do basic
timing and note durations?! Yikes!

Yes, a metronome would help. No idea what the song's tempo is, every song is
different. You should probably set it really slow at first until you know the notes
and can increase the speed gradually until you hit the song's tempo.

You can also tap your foot and/or count in your head to figure out the durations.
well assuming the piece is in 4/4 time, it just means you split the bar into 2/4/8/16 "bits". so playing 16th note in 4/4 you would have to pick each note four times, or one note 16 times in that bar. a metronome will be useful, but your can tap your foot and use your internal metronome. dude, you need to study a bit of theory. this is why tab is bull**** and scores rule.
Um. A tab can be a "score". I think you mean standard notation.
And they aren't bull****. There's tabs and tabs. Tabs off the internet
with no note durations are crap. A good tab will use the note duration
syntax and/or have standard notation along with it. For a guitar, that gives
you very precise fingering information in addition to pretty much all the
information standard notation would have. Even though I can read
standard, I'd rather have a good tab.
^

See, dissing tabs will get you banned!

Rare treat!?

Hardly. Spend a few bucks and get a book. Note durations are always spelled
out. It really ain't music without knowing the note durations. Even something
like powertab, which is free, has the note durations.

I wouldn't bother with a tab with no durations. It's a good sign its just some crap
some kid wrote. It's not enough information to qualify as music and it's probably
wrong anyway.
Quote by edg
^

See, dissing tabs will get you banned!

Rare treat!?

Hardly. Spend a few bucks and get a book. Note durations are always spelled
out. It really ain't music without knowing the note durations. Even something
like powertab, which is free, has the note durations.

I wouldn't bother with a tab with no durations. It's a good sign its just some crap
some kid wrote. It's not enough information to qualify as music and it's probably
wrong anyway.

That's why Guitar Pro and PowerTab are so popular, standard notation + tab mixed together, which you can play along to.

And he isn't banned, I just assume a Mod hasn't spotted he has 'Banned' as his user title.
I hear you, but i am a diehard unfortunately, and will never be turned to the darkside of Tab. Looking at tab, even with note durations is more work that looking at sheet music.
See, i come from a piano background so i picked up the skill there. ABRSM exams are a biatch! I can sight-read for bass ok but guitar is my weakest instrument. I'm still not bad at guitar, but to be honest my guitar sight-reading is better than my guitar playing!
Quote by Applehead
well assuming the piece is in 4/4 time, it just means you split the bar into 2/4/8/16 "bits". so playing 16th note in 4/4 you would have to pick each note four times, or one note 16 times in that bar. a metronome will be useful, but your can tap your foot and use your internal metronome. dude, you need to study a bit of theory. this is why tab is bull**** and scores rule.

so if two notes are in one bar (im assuming 4/4 time because they didnt specify) and half note is written above each of them; i hold each for 2 beats, correct?
Quote by tubadude

Click
This site has opened my eyes...to how retarded most guitar musicians are. How can you not know how to read sheet music, and yet be able to play? I hate tab, its dumming down the whole guitarist/bass population.
Last edited by Thin Ears at May 31, 2006,
Quote by Thin Ears
This site has opened my eyes...to how retarded most guitar musicians are? How can you not know how to read sheet music, and yet be able to play. I hate tab, its dumming down the whole guitarist/bass population.

Well, thank god for you!

It's very possible not to know how to read standard AND be a great player.
Very.

Maybe hating tab helps you feel better about yourself. I dunno. Hate is never
really worth the time, especially about something as silly as hating tab.
Quote by Thin Ears
This site has opened my eyes...to how retarded most guitar musicians are. How can you not know how to read sheet music, and yet be able to play? I hate tab, its dumming down the whole guitarist/bass population.

hey! shut up.
Quote by tubadude

Click