I want to make a guitar cable for a guitar. :P

Does anyone here know how to make guitar cables?
Yep easy as pie i believe but it may not be too strong. Just get 2 1/4inch standard mono plugs. Some thick wire which has 2 seperate wires inside. Then just solder the outer wire onto the same part of each seperate jacks (on the different ends of course) and do the same for the other wire on the other connections on the jacks. If you have old headphones you can use those jacks too by just cutting the jacks off with a little bit of the wire left, if you do that be sure to check which ones work when you make the cable.
Quote by slashnmash
Yep easy as pie i believe but it may not be too strong. Just get 2 1/4inch standard mono plugs. Some thick wire which has 2 seperate wires inside. Then just solder the outer wire onto the same part of each seperate jacks (on the different ends of course) and do the same for the other wire on the other connections on the jacks. If you have old headphones you can use those jacks too by just cutting the jacks off with a little bit of the wire left, if you do that be sure to check which ones work when you make the cable.

do that ^^

That's how I make make patch leads, any two conductor wire would work but it's not likely to be shielded. I just use old guitar cables, as the ground wire also acts as a shield and is spiralled around the inside of the cable. Get some solderable jacks, the ones you can unscrew and take apart. Make sure you know which tab is which, it's easy to tell.. The sleeve (ground) tab is usually longer and is connected to the body of the plug. The tip (hot) tab is short and goes down the middle of the jack to the tip.
If you use instrument cable, the ground is likely to be uninsulated and spiralled around the hot, it frays easilly, just grab a bunch of it and twist it to form a wire. That's about it.
These go to eleven...
You can heat shrink the joint between cable and jack, I do this to my bought leads, it takes some strain off the joint.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
also get some heat shrink tubes it will help keeping it all toguether

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I use george ls. Great quality and not unreasonably priced. All you do is cut the cable to length, insert into jack and tighten a screw.