Hey guys,

I'm stuck between two ideas of how to build speed. If anyone could help me out, or provide ways that have worked for them, that would be awesome. Heres what I'm not sure about......

Is it best to;

1) Play everything at a comfortable speed, working on accuracy and precision, and slowly increasing speed over time....

OR

2) Play everything pretty much flat out most of the time in order to build speed by focusing most of the effort on playing fast......

Would playing flat out, or starting slow and working my way up, increase my speed the most, AND increase speed in the quickest time??? I can downpick pretty fast already, but i need to be faster for a few songs I'm looking at.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Are you sure that the band you are looking at isnt using alternative picking?

Fastest: number 2... Better: number 1...
Number 1
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
alternate pick...your never gonna be comfortable playing just down stroking everything.

practice and force your muscles to do it...eventually it'll be 2nd nature.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
alternate picking is definately faster, but all downpicking is a useful skill to have up to speed because it gives a different sound. also, the guy who said 2 is faster and 1 is better i disagree with. there are no benefits of number 2, its not faster, and you wont ever get the same results but you will definately be a pro at sloppy playing
Number one for shure, building up slowly and properly is almost always the best way to do something technique-wise.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
Thanks guys,

The thing is that I can already alternate pick - I play lots of realy fast death like Nile and stuff.... I can play the first few riffs of master of puppets all downpicking, but there are certain songs that I play that just sound better when you downpick - like War is my shepard by Exodus - I think it sounds much better when it is all downpicked. I can almost do it up to speed, but I just need more speed to make it sound better and not so sloppy. Thanks guys - I reckon I'll get it perfect at a few tempos and and build on that until I can play it properly, and up to speed.

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
if you can already play at the speed that you want, but can play for very long, id say keep playing at the faster speed,

because then all you really need to do is build your endurance.
To get my downpicking up to speed I just played Master of Puppets all day. If you can down pcik to Master of Puppets you don't really need any more speed.
Quote by quinny1089
if you can already play at the speed that you want, but can play for very long, id say keep playing at the faster speed,

because then all you really need to do is build your endurance.

Yeah - thats kind of the problem as welll....... Although, I still do want to play faster......

Cheers though

To get my downpicking up to speed I just played Master of Puppets all day. If you can down pcik to Master of Puppets you don't really need any more speed.

Yeah, I can already do MoP up to speed with only downpicking...... I just want to be able to play faster, and for longer.

Thanks everyone

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by Prophet of Page
Practice only using upstrokes too.

yeah i do a bit of that, hard as a mother rude word