I've been looking at coil splitting, and i'm gonna try and do it in my guitar which I'm going to be building.

Is it possible to have two humbuckers, with a three-way switch for ON/OFF/ON, giving me Neck/OFF/Bridge. The OFF position would allow me to use the split coils independantly, right?

And then also having two seperate ON/OFF switches for splitting - one for the neck pup and one for the bridge pup? So that if both neck and bridge split were on, it would essentially be like having both humbuckers on, kind of

Would this be possible?

Is it just, Red and White wire soldered together to a switch (for both 'buckers), to give me coil split?
A gibson style three way switch with ON-OFF-ON isn't possible. The only way to do something like that would be individual on-off switches for your pickups. You could do the coil splitting switching with push-pull pots. As far as what wires, refer to your manufacturer's documentation as to which colors go where.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
A gibson style three way switch with ON-OFF-ON isn't possible. The only way to do something like that would be individual on-off switches for your pickups. You could do the coil splitting switching with push-pull pots. As far as what wires, refer to your manufacturer's documentation as to which colors go where.

What about using this:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=318&product=4200

Couldn't the OFF position act like a bypass for the humbuckers, allowing me to play with two individual switches to control coil splits?

...or is it just completely not possible?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. So you want to bypass the pickup selector to use the coil taps, but then be able to select which pickup? Or do you want the middle position to just be coil splitting on both pickups?
Hi, I'm Peter
I want a three way pickup selector, with Neck/Off/Bridge setup.

When the pup selector is on Off, I want to be able to use the seperate On/Off switches to have coil splitting.

Basically it would be like having two on/off switches for neck and bridge coil splits. These can be used at any time, right? Then also a three way switch for humbuckers.

With the three way switch, I want to be able to have neck humbucker, bridge humbucker and an off setting. But, when this is set to off, I still want to be able to use the two seperate switches for coil splitting.

Sorry, if its confusing It took me ages to think up this crazy stuff myself
Why not just have bridge/both/neck for the pickup selector, and then two coil splits too? That gives you those options...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
What you really want is a 3 way On/Off/On switch as a pickup selector (which should already be fitted) with Neck/Both/Bridge, and then the separate switches to split coils, one for neck one for bridge. That way you have the option of:

Bridge (full)
Both (full)
Neck (full)
Bridge (split)
Bridge (full) + Neck(split)
Bridge (split) + Neck (full)
Neck(split)

Maximum options from the switches

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it again - at least i listed all the options though
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Quote by deg0ey
What you really want is a 3 way On/Off/On switch as a pickup selector (which should already be fitted) with Neck/Both/Bridge, and then the separate switches to split coils, one for neck one for bridge. That way you have the option of:

Bridge (full)
Both (full)
Neck (full)
Bridge (split)
Neck(split)

Maximum options from the switches

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it again - at least i listed all the options though

Do you mean an On/On/On switch?

I want to be able to have this:

Neck full
Bridge full
Neck split
Bridge split
Neck + Bridge split

If I had an On/On/On switch though, I wouldn't be able to use just one split humbucker on its own, because at least one other humbucker would be selected, right?
I don't think what you're thinking of is possible without getting terribly complicated. The best thing you could hope for, then is just a standard 3 way switch with coil splitting for both pickups. I think that's a lot easier than what you've thought of anyway.
Hi, I'm Peter
You have a seperate split switch for each humbucker...the switches are independant.
I dunno what type of switch it is, but the kind you get on a Les Paul...Has three positions that are: Bridge only, Bridge and Neck (all coils), and Neck only

If you got one of those, and then wired up your coil splits to seperate switches, when you had the bridge split and the pickup selector in the bridge position then you would have one coil of the bridge humbucker active only...and then by combining various switching patterns you could achieve all of the possibilities i listed above...

deg0ey
^^^ Exactly. It's the way a Jimmy Page LP is wired or the PRS McCarty is wired.
Hi, I'm Peter
ok, explaining is getting me no-where I drew a diagram on paint (old skool )

Black is ON, White is OFF. The red wires are for humbuckers, the blue is for the coil split. The two circles are independant On/Off switches. The rectangle thing is a three-way selector.
Why do you want an Off switch??? It wouldn't help you get what you want at all

Do what Pink says

deg0ey
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Exactly...just do that.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2hum_2vol_2tone_3way-w-spl.html
Diagram, but wire the red and white wires on the neck pickup to a switch just like the bridge pickup.

If I did it like that diagram, I'd have all these options:

Neck full
Bridge full
Neck split
Bridge split
Neck + Bridge split

right?
No, if you did it like the diagram you'd have no neck split...if you wire the neck pickup to a coil split like pink said then you'll have all the options i listed previously...so all those that you said, and Neck full + Bridge full as well

deg0ey
yeah, i forgot to add that i'd add in a neck split option.

Right then, I'll follow that diagram adding a neck split option.

Thanks to everyone who helped!
^Sure, no problem. Hope you get it worked out!