I started playing yesterday with a quarter instead of a pick, and i like it. it feels smoother and i dunno, i jus like it. but anyhow it kinda makes me feel like im wearing my strings down when i play with one, am i?
dont do that, play with your thumb before you do that, besides picks are like 15 cents right.
Take that quarter and buy yourself a pick, boy.

And yes, chances are, your strings would probably be worn down faster then with a regular pick or fingers.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
yea man, that is pretty bad. get a metal pick if you like the sound.....they are smooth too (ha). you'll end up most likely scratchin the hellouta the fretboard and the strings wont last nearly as long.
lol what they said, i had a metal pick for a while, real beast for your more hardcore, speed shredding, but my god does it destroy your strings fast, oh and did u find u get a nasty metallic stain on ur skin and a nasty smell.? lol stick to standard polythene me thinks...
brian may used an old penny or pound (british penny that is) i dont know, so if you like it whatever...ive tried it but dont like the fact that its so rounded and you cant pick fast cause of that
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
I hate playing with a quarter so much. If I don't have a pick, I finger it.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
I hate playing with a quarter so much. If I don't have a pick, I finger it.

hahaha, "finger it"
sorry
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
Quote by crazynickman
brian may used an old penny or pound (british penny that is) i dont know, so if you like it whatever...ive tried it but dont like the fact that its so rounded and you cant pick fast cause of that

apparently he used to do it to force him to use the flexibility in his fingers because the penny didnt have any
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by crazynickman
hahaha, "finger it"
sorry

After I read what I wrote, I was waiting for it!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

ok i guess the pick was a bad idea. i have tons of picks but it was something new, oh well.
Quote by flyingjew34
After I read what I wrote, I was waiting for it!

you never have to wait long with me, always remember that...
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
Quote by Schmidt1989
ok i guess the pick was a bad idea. i have tons of picks but it was something new, oh well.

It's not a bad idea it's just a less favoured one, but if it works for you, by all means go for it. You might just get those people who hate the "doing it your way" method whining though .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by Jarrott
It's not a bad idea it's just a less favoured one, but if it works for you, by all means go for it. You might just get those people who hate the "doing it your way" method whining though .

yeah, maybe ill stay with it or get a metal pick. i dont like the fact that im fu**ing up my strings but its not like there hard to replace, and i dont ever pick on the fretboard so im not gunna scratch that up.
I've tried the coin thing. I concluded that a good player who uses that plays well
in SPITE of it. A pick is far more accurate and controllable.

Oh, if you go the metal pick route, get a GOOD one. As another poster said,
there's some that leave a black metal dust all over your fingers and guitar and
it's HARD to get off. WTF were they thinking?! Cymbal picks are great! Made
from drum cymbals. Cool tone. No dust.
Billy Gibbons used a Peso (Mexican coin) as a pick and no one ever bitched ('LOLZ NUBZ GET TEH PLEKTR00M') at him for doing that.

You can even play the guitar with your penis if it's comfortable for you, everyone is different.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Okay I kinda exaggerated with the penis thing
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Last edited by Metallica1989 at May 31, 2006,
Use the quarter if you like it. Just don't go crazy with it and damage your guitar or anything. And buy about 3 extra sets of strings in advance too.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
If you use a quarter, your strings will break much faster. If you don't mind, then feel free to.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I love metal picks, you even get different tones out of different kinds of metal. I've never had a problem with them breaking strings.
what about a plastic coated paperclip. I have a variety of picks but the paper clip has a really awesome sound. Wearing the strings down? yes or no?
Jazzer by day, rocker by night

Gear:

Washburn Lyon- (my mate)- Maverick
Fender Acoustic- (my brother)- Lou
and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
Reference 54 Alto Saxophone (my baby)- Apollo
Quote by Schmidt1989
I started playing yesterday with a quarter instead of a pick, and i like it. it feels smoother and i dunno, i jus like it. but anyhow it kinda makes me feel like im wearing my strings down when i play with one, am i?

i never thought i would see this.... lmao.. i mean i did it before as a joke, dont ask why.. but you cant be serious.......................................................... can you?
Quote by crazynickman
brian may used an old penny or pound (british penny that is)

Brian May used an old silver sixpence, which would be a much better idea than just and old coin, because the metal is much softer than any other coin, and doesn't wear the strings down as much.
Quote by Baconfish
Brian May used an old silver sixpence, which would be a much better idea than just and old coin, because the metal is much softer than any other coin, and doesn't wear the strings down as much.

oooooo thats what it was- thanks
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
I am going to get a metal guitar pick. I am at a halt due to the different types of picks. I'd like to get the cymbolic pick, but im pretty cheap. So i was thinking maybe getting an 'Ice Pix' pick, because ill get three instead of one. But which ones the best? stainless steel, copper, brass, or just steel?
i would use those little plastic clips found on bread...a bit soft sometimes, but better than a quarter...man, i can just imagine trying to sweep pick and breaking every string on the way down...that's gotta hurt
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I've never tried the Ice Pix. They look ok.

Another good one is this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dava-Master-Control-Pick?sku=110703

The tip is nickel and the grip is a rubbery plastic. With a minor adjustment in
your grip, you can go from a very stiff feel for picking, to a very fleixble feel for
strumming.