Page 1 of 2
My strings keep rusting within the first week I get them. I have Ernie Balls regular's, which is probably the problem, but I was wanting an idea of some good strings that don't rust quickly. Also, I know strings rust because of humidity, is there anyone out there who could tell me anything about that, I live in my basement, but it's a nice one.

Thanks
I hate Ernie Ball strings. Get Elixers. I've had a set on my PRS since Christmas and they haven't tarnished in the least.
Hi, I'm Peter
I like ernie balls for the first 2 days they last lol! I was interested in trying those out, i'll buy a set next time I go to the guitar shop. Thanks homeboy.
I've never had any rust with D'addario.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I just got through posting about how much I love Ernie Ball strings due to the fact they don't rust! Or at least not as fast as GHS... I have Elixer acoustic strings on my acoustic Ibanez and yea... I can honestly say they've been there for MONTHS without and tarnish or rusting what-so-ever. It's that coating they put on 'em.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by invisible_man
I've never had any rust with D'addario.

Neither have I. On the other hand, I've had nothing but problems with Ernie Balls. But longest life would be Elixers. I just hope the TS doesn't break strings
Hi, I'm Peter
D'addario, always use em, no problems
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
It's spelled ElixIr you monkies.

That's how the noun is spelled also.

Two demerits.

I just switched to D'Addarios and they seem to be pretty hardy.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
im used ernies ball for a couple years but i have had a couple promblems with them breaking so they break to fast to rust

i no D'addario is a good brand i think mi next set of sting will be elixir though
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by FacingUsAll
It's spelled ElixIr you monkies.

That's how the noun is spelled also.

Two demerits.

I just switched to D'Addarios and they seem to be pretty hardy.

Don't you have to be somewhere recommending a G&L to someone?
Hi, I'm Peter
i would go for d'addarios. elixirs are a bit better, but some people don't really like the coated string thing, and also, they're a good bit more expensive and you'd be pretty annoyed if one broke. i used to play ernie balls but, as has already been said, they rust pretty badly.
"Anytime but now
Anywhere but here
Anyone but me
I've got to think about my own life
The world is not our facility
We have a responsibility
To use our abilities to keep this place alive," said ian mackaye
if your strings have been on your guitar long enough to start to rust...it was probably time for a new set anyway.

whats 5 bucks a month gonna hurt?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I dont have any problems with EB strings. At all. I live in Washington, which means it rains all the ****in time, too. Theres always alot of moisture around here and I duno.

I always notice that whe strings get nasty its not because of the string but the player. My strings stay in great condition.. I usually replace them when I start to dislike how they sound (2-3 weeks) but they never get rusty.

Maybe try wiping down your strings after you play, keeping your hands clean before you play, etc.
IMO D'addario is the most reliable (and sounds the best)
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
IMO D'addario is the most reliable (and sounds the best)

I broke a string from every set of Daddario I've ever bought. lol

I hardly break strings anymore now that I switched to EB. Daddario seem to be more brittle.
dean markley blue steel's are the shiznit and IMO way better than elixers
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I broke a string from every set of Daddario I've ever bought. lol

I hardly break strings anymore now that I switched to EB. Daddario seem to be more brittle.

That's interesting...
I seem to clash with you on every opinion. I don't mean to suggest me/you are better, but it's kind of funny.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
i used to use d'addario's on my electric but tried eb 10's and those last a lot longer in my opinion. i play my guitar whenever i get the chance and i feel the ernie balls last longer, as in they dont strecth or wear out as fast.

that's just my opinion. try them all out if you want and see which works best for you.
you could always wipe down your guitar after you play it?
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
DR ftw! Either Tite-fits or Hi-Beams. I've tried alot of strings and these are the best I've played on, decent life too I had a set of HB's last almost a month and a half
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Ernie Balls have lasted me upto 3 months with only a diminished sound (but every string does that after a few months, it might not be as noticeable but it happens) but now i replace them once a month, never had rust and the one time i had a breakage was due to transport, my ibanez with its dodgy trem tightened them so as soon as i played it 3 strings went caput.

but yeah
never had rust or a breakage, maybe im lucky but i often have sweaty hands while/before playing, dont think theres much moisture in the air round here most of the year though

But going on what you've said, i reckon Elixirs are probably the better
D'addarios IMO don't feel very good on the fingers...just not pleasent to bend. Personally DR strings are my favorite, slinkies are better for lower guages though...

And they shouldn't really be rusting...it must be REALLY damp down there
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Wipe your strings down after you play and it should help. I use ernies and don't have problem with rusting.
I just go down to the nearest Walmart and get some Gibson guitar strings, they arn't to bad
D'Addario or Dean Markley Blue Steel
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
DR "Hi Beams"

DR is a great company to deal with. I bought a pair of strings from them once "Tite Fits", and they wore out fast, I emailed them and they told me that the strings were probably old in the store and he said he would send me the "Hi Beams" free since I liked them and had the problems with the "Tite Fits" I bought.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Don't you have to be somewhere recommending a G&L to someone?

If the thread presents itself, then yes .

I'll spell it right, too.

And to be on-topic, I used to play Elixirs and they lasted a long time. I think they feel a little awkward though.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jun 3, 2006,
Hmm I've got the same problem, sweat like a dog when I play. So from what I gather elixir is longer lasting than D'addario, but since they both seem to be handy, which sounds better?
dean markleys good
"All Randy ever wanted to do was play the guitar."

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

"I don't fucking eat donuts"
man i live in Florida surronded by water allways raining well except now where in a drought kinda thing but normally allways raining 95 degrees everyday. Humidity is allways off the charts and i have no problem with my Ernie Ball Strings i love them best brand IMO.

and i have tried them all.

Gibson Strings = Crap thats all i can say
Fender Bullets = See Gibson
D'addario = Very stiff felt harsh didnt like them
DR = Good strings my favorite next to EB
Dean Markley = Crap they just feel weird to me
GHS = Complete Garbage rust magnets
Elixer = Last long but feel horrible cant stand playing with them horrible tone to imo whatever they put on the strings affects tone as well

IMO
Ernie Ball = By far the best have never let me down i use Regular Slinkys 10-46 great strings
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
i used to use EB, but 1 sting would always break every set, they were way to brittle for me. i use GHS TNT boomers, (10-52) and theyr great. i change em abotu very month and half, and ive only broken a GHS once, and thats becuase there was a burr on my saddle in my bridge. booyakasha
I use hte EB hybrids, they never let me down.

I've also gotten into teh DR tites those are pretty cool too I have a guage ten on my godin right now, they play well.
D'Addarios or Elixirs are probably the best strings you can get. D'Addario .10's work best for me since I don't like the feel of Elixirs.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Page 1 of 2