I've had an Ibanez RG 2550E Prestige since Sept '05 now, and it has the supposedly 'great' trem system (edge pro? something along those lines).

Problem is, the guitar lacks sustain, the notes just won't hold, and I doubt it's to do with the action being too low as, imo, it's pretty high anyway (that being another problem, can't seem to lower action much, even though neck looks straight).

Also, when I do use the trem, the sustain is rubbish and the notes tend to cut out. If I try playing e.g. the 23rd fret on the high e, then make the note higher by use of the trem, the note just cuts off.

I'm guessing the reason behind this is that the guitar has never been setup by a proffesional, and I'll be sorting that when I take the guitar to have a pup exchanged, but in the meanwhile, any ideas as to why I have these problem with my guitar?

Cheers.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
i jus suggest a professional set up with your string gauge. possibly a fret job too.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Yeah, perhaps it's something with the frets.. will definately have to get it checked out.

Never thought of that, hm.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
The symptomes you just told really makes sense to the pickup. Its probably set too high, that'll cause the sound to be absorbed, coz the magnets will just pull the strings and not letting it ring. What pickups do u use?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Actually, it has to do with the Trem.
Floyd Roses and their copies (i.e. Edgepro) will cut out at least 3/4 of your sustain and tone, because as we all know, sound comes from the string vibrating the guitar. The more contact area the two (strings and guitar) have, the better the connection and longer the sustain, thicker the sound etc. With the Trems the strings and guitar body have no contact at all. Well, it's not that bad, Most bridges aren't string thru. But, the trem and the strings hardly have any contact at well, as the string is held by a tiny metal plate, somewhat like this: >|<
metal:string:metal
Thus having hardly any contact at all, the guitar doesn't vibrate as much
-> less tone and sustain

I have an RG with Edgepro myself, it's a pain in the ass.

EDIT: Oh, and i agree with the pickups, the IBanez ones are okay, but there are much better, especially considering sustain and all. I'd go with Seymour Duncans, preferably the JF4 ( or whatever, that Jeff Beck one)
Heh, was thinking about that earlier.

So how do bands on stage get the sustain? Effects boxes?

EDIT: The pickup height seems to be fine, but again, I'm no expert. As for the pickups themselves.. I have an Xbucker I want to put in the bridge, just haven't had time to give it in to be installed. Currently using the stock ibanez.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
Last edited by dark_guy at May 31, 2006,
Pick a note, let it ring, see how long it holds. Fret the 12th, then 15th then 17th then 24th. See how all the notes hold there too. You should be getting the absorbed sound for quite a bit at the 24th fret, but not at the 1-19th preferably. If you do, lower it down a bit or adjust the individual pole pieces.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by dark_guy
Heh, was thinking about that earlier.

So how do bands on stage get the sustain? Effects boxes?

EDIT: The pickup height seems to be fine, but again, I'm no expert. As for the pickups themselves.. I have an Xbucker I want to put in the bridge, just haven't had time to give it in to be installed. Currently using the stock ibanez.

Sometimes a guitarist (Kirk Hammett, for example) uses an Ibanez Tube Screamer with the volume on max and the distortion on minimum to drive their already overdriven amp to the breaking point to get that sustain. Steve Vai uses a DS-1 (modded by AnalogMan, I believe) to add some more drive to his amp for solos, although I wouldn't recommend doing that with an extremely high-gain amp, or with the distortion over 5. I've had some very bad experiences with feedback by doing both.