Im sure they can, but please post

I dont get what they do, and is a locking tremolo system the same?

Chrs.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
a floyd rose is a floating tremolo system, it is held in place not by the guitar body, but by equal tension force of the string and springs inside the guitar. It allows the player to pull the trem up and down drastically (as opposed to only slightly down as with vintage trems)

I beleive - beleive, mind you, i dont know - that a locking trem unit is one with locking nuts at the bridge, thus holding the strings in place for better and more stable tuning whilst using the trem.
Aww, great man, that helps alot

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Floating bridge which floats due to the spring tension vs. string tension.

The back cavity is very similar to strats'

Example on a Licenced Floyd Rose (Ibanez Edge)

Original Floyd Rose Bridge and Parts

The string locker wont let the strings move and lock its position. This wont let the strings winded at the tuners to accidentally unstretch and lose the tuning.

Basically floyd rose style tremolo is for those who wants to get more out of their guitar. You can do cool tricks with it, prior that you know how to use it. The most basic use of it is vibrato and to switch to high notes very quickly. Commonly used by shred artist or progressive rock artist, for example, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci (seldom now) etcs.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Woah, even better I admit.

Quote by Robbie n strat

listen to some EVH he makes good use of the trem bar
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
yah like music is suppose to show you how emotional you are or w/e (i hope u get it the point of music is...) and the floyd rose just makes it a bigger step. I love it, but pain in the ass to re-string it and changing string gauges on it.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Oh yeah, I love EVH. I saw someone use one of those alan keys on a locking system, is this with all of them? It all seems a bit academic due to all the artificial effects you can get nowadays.

Quote by Robbie n strat

Meaning maybe that a floyd rose shows more your personal self also (like your a crazy guy, go start playing like steve vai lol kinda rymed there forget spelling sry).

But yeah the allen keys come with every floyd rose. The neat jackson soloist has that neat little hanger on the back of the headstock so u can just slip it in there and stuff. Looks all neat. Nice guitar!
Just an influence.
"a bit academic due to all the artificial effects you can get nowadays." artifical effects are too artificial, with a floating trem you have complete control of pitch and is far more expressive then some random sounding computer effect
yeah to dimaond dave ^

And i think the same goes with art. Artist these days get payed more doing art with your own hands with colors,paper,board and other stuff. Same goes with guitar sound. Anyone can make hiphop/rap music (they just use the computer to do all the beats) and become 50 cent. :P (lol somewhat stupid example but yeah).
Just an influence.
remember that you can also set your floyd up to be either floating or non-floating and you can also fit a d-tuna to them aswell.
Quote by Diamond Dave
^new avatar azn, didnt recognize you, is that your guitar?

ive had this avatar for a while now. nah i wish it was its alexi laiho rv-350l scythe model.
Thought I'd jump in here since I had a few questions about FR's too.

First, do they require special strings (by special I mean different than strings used on a vintage trem guitar or a guitar with no trem)?

Second, how hard is it to restring a licensed Floyd Rose as opposed to a vintage trem?
1. depends on what fr system your talking about such as the new speedloader requires special strings while the original didnt.

2. it takes time and patience, its always best to study about it before you do it