i went to the emg website but didn't really see the answer to my specific question. i read that it was possible to combine and active and passive. here's how my guitar is currently set up:

1 double coil bridge, passive
1 single coil neck, passive
1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, 1 on/off mini toggle for each pickup.

I have NEVER used the tone knob and rarely the volume knob either for that matter. so i figure i'd really only need a volume knob, and from what i've read active and passive pickups require 2 different kinds of knobs.

can someone give me some advise? tell me what to get and how to wire it. i can do it myself.
Im not sure on the wiring but i know that mixing actives and passives can lead to more trouble that its worth.
Just use the SD and EMG wiring diagrams. With actives/passives though, I know you have to mix them after the preamp stage.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Just use the SD and EMG wiring diagrams. With actives/passives though, I know you have to mix them after the preamp stage.

i can't seem to find the diagram for this setup anywhere. emg's website explains it but no diagram. also, emg has kind of "snap-together" electronics packages and special pots with little circuit boards on them. would these work. can anybody give some detailed info, or direct me to a site that might answer these questions?

i don't need tone controls.
like pink said, use the EMG diagrams. If you aren't going to use the tone knobs, wire the EMG to a 25k vol, and a 250K pot for the single coil. After the vol pots, they both only have 1 hot lead, even the EMG89 is one hot lead after the push/pull. You could wire the hot leads to your switches for on and off, then everything after that runs to the input jack.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
like pink said, use the EMG diagrams. If you aren't going to use the tone knobs, wire the EMG to a 25k vol, and a 250K pot for the single coil. After the vol pots, they both only have 1 hot lead, even the EMG89 is one hot lead after the push/pull. You could wire the hot leads to your switches for on and off, then everything after that runs to the input jack.

I guess the problem is, i can't find any diagrams on their website for this setup.
actually its a hotrails wired for series. but yes, i believe so. i connected 2 of the 4 wires, and had 2 (plus the ground) connected to the electronics

btw, i appreciate your help. but just to burn your butt, i do have an emg single coil and just saw that i can get the pa2 to boost it so it sounds more like a double coil. maybe that would be easier.

what would the sound quality difference be? is there any way to tell?
Last edited by sethp at Jun 11, 2006,
oh, it's like a stacked single coil? cool. What kind of switches do you have on the guitar btw? like On/Off, On/Off/On toggles, etc.

btw, i appreciate your help. but just to burn your butt, i do have an emg single coil and just saw that i can get the pa2 to boost it so it sounds more like a double coil. maybe that would be easier.

what would the sound quality difference be? is there any way to tell?

you mean a passive EMG single coil? You can use the PA2 on any passive single coil, but I think that's if you have to use the 25k pots with it. If you use the PA2, you can keep the tone knob. The PA2 boosts the sound of the passives so they keep up with the active using 25k pots.

I'm not a big fan of EMG passives, however, that's a preference thing. I would probably rather use the hot rail and a switch as a tap, if you have enough.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 11, 2006,
the hotrail is a side-by-side double coil, but in a sigle-coil width. my emg single coil is active. the 2 toggles are just 2 position, on/off. i think for now i'll just use my 2 emgs with the pa2 thing for the single