im looking to buy a randall combo cause ive played a few randalls and they sound amazing. just wandering if anyone has any suggestions on which combo is the best. im playing modern metal stuff (lamb of god, shadows fall, kse). oh and ill be using it for live playing aswell. any ideas?
Cleans? Hmmm, I suppose you could milk decent cleans out of it. Randall is all about crunch though, if you wanted good cleans you'd be looking at other options. What you could do instead is get a different amp just for cleans and an A/B/Y switch to go back and forth.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^hmmm interesting. unfortunately i only have an mg100 at the moment so that means 2 new amps. anyone suggest an amp that could get something like the randall crunch and some decent cleans (cleans not as important but is needed) for a similar price range (£400 ish)
I would probably save some cash and go with an RG50TC instead, but that's just me .

50 Watts tube for $570? Hard to beat .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by darkeale
^i can get one of them for £400. think id prefer a combo. easier to get about and i wont need to buy a cab to go with it

It is a combo.

If you're on that side of the pond, you might want to check out ENGLs and Laneys; probably more bang for your buck.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
if you're in england, deffinatly look into laney. they make great stuff.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by FacingUsAll
It is a combo.

If you're on that side of the pond, you might want to check out ENGLs and Laneys; probably more bang for your buck.

oh yeah my bad
engl s are a bit out of my range unfortunately.
some suggestings for laneys? remember £400 budget (bout $600 us i believe)
The cleans on my Randall (and yeah, it's the G3) are actually really good. I've never really liked a clean tone before but I reallly like this one. It's slightly overdriven because I have EMG 81/60's but if I turn down my guitar it's really clean. It's all preference though. I didn't quite like the amp at first but it's really grown on me.
Quote by gpderek09
if you're in england, deffinatly look into laney. they make great stuff.

Definately, miles above randall IMO.. In fact I'd go as far as to say the Randall RG series are the worst amps I've ever played (for the price.) A Laney TF combo would be so much better.

Having said that for £400 you can get some decent amps, you could get a laney LC30 for that (I think) and get a real killer metal tone with an SD1 or something. Or you could get the old favourite on this board (for good reason): Peavey classic 30, that'd certainly need help to get to metal levels of gain though.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ indeed.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

if you're willing to put up with your MG and uber metal that long, it'll be better infinity-fold.

keep in mind though, ENGL sound bright. you could be after a dark tone, which in that case you might opt for a laney. so it more or less comes down to dark or bright...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565