It's upgrading time for me, and I was wondering what would be some good equipment for playing thrash and heavy metal. I'm talking about everything: amp, guitar, pedals, strings, pickups, etc...

My budget:
Amp: $600
Guitar: $500
Pedals: $100
Strings:$15
Pups:$100

If needed I could raise the budgets a little more, but not by much. For the amp, I'd like it to sound good at bedroom levels, and hold up well at small gigging. I have at the moment a Marshall avt50 ('tis why I'm upgrading...) and frankly it has to be better than that.

I like to play stuff by Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, and occasionally some Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.

Thanks.
For a metal sound, buy an Ibanez guitar (RG series) with a Fender amp if you're going cheap.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
Dude, here's my suggestion- if you want heavy, you can get heavy. What you should really be taking into consideration is your tone. For instance, if you want more of a Dime sound or a Hammet/ Hetfield sound. Personally, I'd go with one of four guitars: a Dean Dime(whatever kind you like, but make sure it has the seymore's or the EMG's and the Floyd Rose), a ESP Eclipse II(with EMG's), a Jackson of your choice, or a Schecter Hellcat or C1-FR. Those will all give you a fat tone while still making clarity a main priority. For and amp, I only play Marshalls and Peavy's.... but distort the **** out of it. Pedals, go with either a classic wah, or a Dime wah from hell(I have it and it is AMAZING!)- also, look for a good distortion or overdrive pedal and let me know what you end up going with. Strings- Ernie Ball power slinkies(purple) or super slinkies(lime green). Pickups- EMG 81 and 85's, or Seymore duncans I guess, but I prefer EMG's.

Cheers Mate,
-Syn
AMp: used Peavey XXX 40 off ebay About 500 bucks.

Guitars: C-1 series from schecter is the only decent thing in the area. The c-1 artist on MF is a great deal.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
amp: peavey XXX 40 watt
guitar: i dk, uh, ibanez SZ?
pedals: isp decimator
strings:
pickups: a swineshead set, xbuckers maybe?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by mexican_shred
AMp: used Peavey XXX 40 off ebay About 500 bucks.

Guitars: C-1 series from schecter is the only decent thing in the area. The c-1 artist on MF is a great deal.

+1
Quote by OriginaLSyN44
Dude, here's my suggestion- if you want heavy, you can get heavy. What you should really be taking into consideration is your tone. For instance, if you want more of a Dime sound or a Hammet/ Hetfield sound. Personally, I'd go with one of four guitars: a Dean Dime(whatever kind you like, but make sure it has the seymore's or the EMG's and the Floyd Rose), a ESP Eclipse II(with EMG's), a Jackson of your choice, or a Schecter Hellcat or C1-FR. Those will all give you a fat tone while still making clarity a main priority. For and amp, I only play Marshalls and Peavy's.... but distort the **** out of it. Pedals, go with either a classic wah, or a Dime wah from hell(I have it and it is AMAZING!)- also, look for a good distortion or overdrive pedal and let me know what you end up going with. Strings- Ernie Ball power slinkies(purple) or super slinkies(lime green). Pickups- EMG 81 and 85's, or Seymore duncans I guess, but I prefer EMG's.

Cheers Mate,
-Syn

What kind of Marshalls? And what kind of Peaveys?

And why Slinkies? Why not Boomers?

Also:
Quote by beatles_rock09
For a metal sound, buy an Ibanez guitar (RG series) with a Fender amp if you're going cheap.

Why a Fender? For metal? Are you kidding me?

For that price, for just metal, try the Peaver XXL. Personally I hate it, but some people love it.
I'd say, on that budget, (I don't know if this fits mind, cause I work in ££s and not $$s), but if it does fit try

Guitar : Ibanez RG3xx - versatile as hell
Amp :Try the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade combo (100w)
Pedal : Zakk Wylde wah - great for rock/metal leads
Strings : Whatever, they're strings eh?
Pups : get a dimarzio Evo for your Bridge. They are VERY nice pups, and loud as hell too.
Banter Assassin. Every thread I touch dies.

Quote by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
AMP:Krank Krankenstein 100W Tube Guitar Head
CAB: Krankenstein 4 X 12
GUITAR:LTD F-100FM
PEDALS:none
STRINGS: D addario XL .11-.52
Quote by 6DEATH6METAL6
AMP:Krank Krankenstein 100W Tube Guitar Head
CAB: Krankenstein 4 X 12
GUITAR:LTD F-100FM
PEDALS:none
STRINGS: D addario XL .11-.52

WTF?

Guitar: ESP Eclipse l or ll
Amp: I prefer my Laney, BUT the Peavey Valveking is really nice.
Pedals: Maybe an SD-1 to boost the distortion on the Peavey amp. (No need if you ask me)
Strings: 11 or heavier. You can't get that really heavey tone from light strings. They need that heavey edge. I recoment Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkeys 11-54. They are heavy to bend, but it's nice to feel the string
Pups: Make sure you get humbuckers! EMGs are really nice if you're into metal, hard rock and even blues. I prefer the 81/60 configuration. Good overdrive and good cleans.
what some of you guys are suggesting is
A. totally out of the price range
or
B. not meant for THRASH(amp wise)
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
What kind of Marshalls? And what kind of Peaveys?

Also:

Why a Fender? For metal? Are you kidding me?

For that price, for just metal, try the Peaver XXL. Personally I hate it, but some people love it.

I myself like the GHS Boomers, I play the Zakk Wylde 10 to 60 set. They chug like hell.

But, as far as amps go, you'd be surprised how heavy and good your tonality is when you double up a high wattage SS fender with say, a Metalzone. Right now my rig is a Metalzone and a Ibanez Weeping Demon wah pedal going into a Fender FM212R 100w combo and i can get some frickin' tones you would not expect coming out of that... sure, if I had money, I'd be playing a Dean Dime Sig guitar out of a Krank right now, but hey, i work with what i have. Really, it depends on what kind of metal you're playing. For Killswitch Engage or Disturbed or even Metallica kind of tone, the tightness of a Solid State really compliments it because of the scooped mids, they sound tight as hell. But if you're gonna be playing shadows fall, or slayer, or lamb of god, you gotta have some tube power behind that shi'ite.

-Clem
Proud Member of the UG Smartasses PM Temporary to join.
Originally posted by primusfan
I gave this dude head. In return I got ... a wad of cum in my mouth.
Pedal wise I have used or own Krank, Uber Metal, Smash Box, Metal Zone and Grunge. The best for the price and balls out metal is the Uber the best for cleaner Metallicaish metal is the Krank or Metal Zone. I've tried these with a Gibson V with EMG 81s through a Engl Screamer Combo.
Quote by Swift Wolf

My budget:
Amp: $600
Guitar: $500
Pedals: $100
Strings:$15
Pups:$100

I like to play stuff by Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, and occasionally some Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.

Thanks.

Amp: Marshall DSL40 or Peavey Triple XXX
Guitar: Jackson V, Charvel super-strats, Jackson Dinky, LTD M, MH, MHNT.
Pedals: Meh, don't really need any for thrash, put it towards guitar/pickups.
Strings: Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52s
Pickups: Duncan Invaders, Full Shred or a duncan JB. JB = Thrash
[/What kind of Marshalls? And what kind of Peaveys?]

Why Peavy's and Marshalls? Well, there loud and heavy as hell if you tune them in right. I mean, dont get me wrong, there are better amps out there, but Marshall and Peavy are dependable and not a pain in the ass to find. As far as strings go, its really a preference, so quit questioning things and insulting people, you ****in prick.

-Syn
6DEATH6METAL6: you're a tool. get a life.

Iron man: i have several problems with your post

metalzone =/= great tones. i've had one, and ran it into a solid state fender amp. and a tube fender amp. throught the solid state fender amp, it hurt. through the tube one, it was better, but not great.

does dean and krank pay you too? seriously, the ****s not that great. the razor backs play like ****, and the krankenstien have SS parts in them, and sound like a fat kid is standing in front of the amp.

KsE's tone is as follows: framus dragon (all tube) with MIDS BOOSTED, and a maxon OD-9 as a boost. and at the same time, a peavey 5150 with a very slight scoop. if anything, you'd want more of a middy tone for KsE. they have a very full sound. scooped mids =/= full.

and metallica have used tube amps their entire career. why you think SS amps would be better to mimc the tone of a band who use TUBE amps is beyond me.

Tuby: why the hell would you use a distortion pedal on an ENGL freaking screamer?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

makes more sence
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Amp : XXX of ebay
Guitar : jackson pro series, they have a JB already and as said JB = Thrash
Pedal : Dime from hell Wah
Strings : DRs or GHS
wow, everyone is being so nice to each other (gives me that warm fuzzy feeling).

seriously though everyone likes different thigs so it's not fair to criticsice everyone for their own preferences.

if you want to get the best metal tone go out to your local shops and try everything, pick what you like and go for it, that way you'll be happy. you should also try stuff above your budget, you may decide it's worth the extra money.

i must say though i do agree about ditching the pedal. putting the money towards the amp or pickups is a much better way to improve your tone.
^ noise gate is a must when playing with an XXX though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565