Ok, so Im auditioning for this band Sunday. I'm basically garunteed in, according to their singer and guitar player. They're a local metal band with a lot of talent. The only thing is, they keep their stuff relatively simple and somewhat nu-metalish. I've been playing guitar for about 9 years now, so Im hoping I can bring a new element to the guitar playing in the band and make the music a bit...well not to sound rude, but better. I was just wondering what kind of stuff you guys would reccomend adding to this style. Thanks a lot for any help. And please no flaming. Here's the band
thrash metal use that style to try to turn them into a thrash esque band if thats what u want. just try to make it a more less poser band. ha.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
Hmm, well if the band is just a whole lot of chords and what not, become a strictly lead player. Throwing whacky harmonies over top of chords in lead line form can do some awesome stuff to a bad (such as Coheed and Cambria, which totally aren't metal, I know (waits to be eaten)) Of course shredding solos and stuff are great too... which I'm assuming you can do since you've been playing for 9 years
Yea, they said they're definitely looking for some good shred solos. And I'm thinking of maybe pushing their other guitarist (who's only been playin 2 years) to use some more unusual chords rather than just the standard power chords. Some stacked 5ths and diminished stuff.
Dont a gay ass shredder.

Try to balance the songs. Good riffing is the way to go, most guitarist just follow there dick and try to solo or powerchord everything.

So yeah push the other guitarist he will only profit from it but keep it fun for yourself to.

Tell the drummer to get a double bass, Tell the clean singer to shut up once or twice in a song, really she is annoying and growling + opera is not good, a good grind voice sounds good with that opera sound.

For what i hear you have your work cut out for you.
Quote by saxaxe
Some stacked 5ths and diminished stuff.

Stacked 5th's? wouldn't that just be a powerchord with a ninth, or are you talking about 4th power chords?
Or maybe you're talking about harmonies?
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.
Quote by TI_Bryan
Stacked 5th's? wouldn't that just be a powerchord with a ninth, or are you talking about 4th power chords?
Or maybe you're talking about harmonies?
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

Yea, it is just a power chord with a 9th.
Well you've been playing for 9 years...than show it. That's what we want to hear, a band with talent and you don't have talent than the music really has to account for it. I listened to the song that you linked and it is terrible. First of all, 2 vocalist? it's appaling, not original or anything, listen to it, it sounds bad. Second, speed. Get some speed in there, a bit more agressivity. 3, lose the female vocalist, I know people don't like hearing this, but if you're not going to do harsh vocals, women should not be singin

And you have to decide exactly what type of music you want to do and then go from there.
I actually don't think your music is as bad as some of the other guys have said it is.......and the thing they say about not mixing "growling and female singing" is really just an opinion. I like the combination.

Try to balance the songs. Good riffing is the way to go, most guitarist just follow there dick and try to solo or powerchord everything.
So yeah push the other guitarist he will only profit from it but keep it fun for yourself to.
Tell the drummer to get a double bass

And this is good advice as well.

Also, try getting them to write more mature lyrics.
It COULD be doom metal...it really could. But the vocals make me cry...
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
The vocals sound like the kids about 14 or 15 years old, and no offense, but he sucks.

Since you been playing for nine years you should make that drummer sweat while playing, and you should be able to do something for these guys.

I want to hear this **** after you do some work with them.
Black/Death.
Quote by MetallichaoS
The vocals sound like the kids about 14 or 15 years old, and no offense, but he sucks.

All the vocals are women. Two of em. One growler, one singer. Both have a hell of a voice.
good vioces... ugly though...

Pictures/song totolly speaks homocore style... not even long hair.... (except on one...)

turning it into a friggen sweat doom metal band with two female vocalists would totally rock...
Last edited by Endisband at Jun 1, 2006,
Quote by Davidian

Agreed. If its Nu-Metalish as you say then just use some basic 'filler' riffs, it will make the music sound a lot better and you'll get more recognition than anything. I'm not saying you have to go Dragon Force and play every minute of every song with solo's and riffs and noises and what not, but a good lick here and there can make or break a song.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
hah, i think the vocals are funny.......sing about cookies and ****, turn it into a joke band. i think you would stand out a lot more.

i also agree with rikoyojapmandude. play like 3 times slower and make a doom band. slow is the new fast, my friend
Quote by mydadisjewish
hah, i think the vocals are funny.......sing about cookies and ****, turn it into a joke band. i think you would stand out a lot more.

i also agree with rikoyojapmandude. play like 3 times slower and make a doom band. slow is the new fast, my friend

Only when you look/are like 40 year old or something
shredding is good in elements. IMO everyone should learn to shred if youre a metal player. doesnt matter to me i guess
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Dude...one girl's got an HIM shirt, the other's got a Norma Jean shirt, and one of the guys is wearing a Slipknot shirt.

I dunno how far you're gonna get in influencing their sound unless they actually want to change. Have you talked with them about it yet?
If they do want to change their style, again...I don't know how far you're going to get. The drummer is nothing special, that's for sure, and he has trouble with the fills. The clean female singer can't stay on key even with extreme reverb. The guitarist uses cheesy HxC riffs and powerchords. The 'growling' female singer sounds...horrible? To say the least.

If you've got the skills and want to be in a true METAL band, I'd highly suggest finding someone on your level, with the same 'creative influences'. Nothing breaks up a band quicker than a player with 'creative differences', or a member who's either noticeably more skilled or drastically less skilled than the rest of the members of the band.

That's just my two cents though. There could be tons of other factors that'd influence your decision.
Well, I found out today that the drummer had an accident last year and has almost no function in his left leg, so good double bass is tough. And I met with their guitar player today and showed him some of my originals (kind of an Opeth+Necrophagist with some slight metalcore influence) and he said that its the direction they're looking to go for. More complex main riffs throughout the song and some good solos.
Oh god they suck!

Im sure youll add some talent if youve been playing for 9 years. Like Chemical said... Loose the chick! and maybe get a better vocalist. They guy sounds like hes trying too hard, when it should sound somewhat natural. Personally i think youd be better off finding a new band.

Good Luck
i think the singer sounds too much like a life long smoker rather than a growling frontman or frontwoman, the drummer needs to learn some rythym, he souded a little off every now and then