I'm trying to learn to sweep and it's bloody tough. I'm using a Yamaha Pacifica 112 with custom light strings (9-46) and the bridge is kinda screwy making playing rigid. Hopefully learning to sweep on this will make me smoother on a better guitar.
Anyway, I have the steal this video and it's not bad. I do a couple of the excercises slowly and speed up but I don't seem to be improving. So I thought I'd learn some Megadeth solos, which were out of my league and I guessed learning solos like that only makes you better.
My friends say I shouldn't be learning Megadeth if I'm starting to sweep because it involves string-skipping and complicated rhythms.
I do the whole two sweep riffs that are suggested in the "steal this" video but it's incredibly boring and I'm not improving a lot. What else can I do to learn to sweep?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
i think you should start sweepin arpegiated chords the one i started with was an F# triad
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Yeah sweeping can be hard to get down right.
If your usual picking doesn't have good form, learning to
sweep may be even harder.

I could point you to millions of exercises, but simple ones are really the best.

Learning really hard stuff is no way to learn. It's like taking a beginning skier
and putting them right on a double diamond slope. It's no fun, it hurts, and
they learn nothing.

You think the 2 string exercise isn't helping? Maybe not, maybe it is. Depends
how you're doing it. But, starting at the most basic movements and getting those
down first, is pretty essential.

Don't think you're not making progress because you practice it one day, and the
next day you aren't any better. A lot of times it takes weeks and months to
really see improvements.
wow i dunno i got sweepin down preety easy but i guess its cuse i had a good pickin form like your said and the kewl thing about sweepin is i see progress in mine every day cuse like marc seal said its a skill that will inprove quikly once you get it down
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Another question, do you palm mute pretty heavily when sweeping? I started doing that and it made playing the first Holy Wars solo a lot easier.
Could some help me by giving me a few excercises to do or give a few suggestions?
Thanks
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by oscar7557
wow i dunno i got sweepin down preety easy...

Well, I really have to wonder about a statement like that, but I've never heard
your playing, so whatever... I think the great majority find it on the hard side
and I do as well. Saying it's easy just bums out those trying it out who find it
really hard.

Also, what constitutes what you can actually sweep easily and how well you can
do it, may differ quite a bit by what I think it should be. How many strings?
How fast? How smoothly? Can you articulate each individual note? Can you
combine it with regular picking? Hammer Ons and Pull Offs? Just simple arpeggio's
or complex fingering patterns? Can you keep it steady to a beat?

There's a lot to it. The actual sweep with the pick is the easiest part. Especially
if your picking's good. The harder part is coordinating your fretting with the
sweep and getting articulated notes rather than it sounding like a chord strum.

About the palm muting: Entirely depends on the music if you palm mute or not.
You should be able to articulate each note in the sweep (when you want to) so
that the notes don't run together without palm muting.

I'll wrap up with an exercise: I made this one up and it's very simple and effective
and involves all 6 strings. It also requires you to move your fingers for every
note so you can't cheat and hold a chord. Take any pentatonic box position
and simply alternate strings and alternate the top note of the box with the
bottom note (ie if your Index (I) finger was the top note, and Pinky (P) the bottom
note it would be I-P-I-P-I-P across the pent scale and all 6 strings). Just keep doing
that sweep down and up. Nice 6-string practice for sweep coordination.
Good warm up too. I do that all the time.
Thanks for the excercise, I'll start doing that now.
And about palm-muting, I meant palm muting the other strings while you're playing so that it doesn't ring. Before my wrist sort of floating above the strings but if I rest it on I can play a few sweeps and there's no ringing.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60