Page 1 of 6
What was the first pop-punk or emo band that you liked? Also, are they still your favourite pop-punk or emo band?

For me it was My Chemical Romance and i still love 'em to this day! But not as much as Coheed & Cambria - can't get enough of them now!
Sum41 and Pennywise (or any band involved in the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 or Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX soundtrack)

first poppunk then other rock. never liked emo personally.
Alright, the only reason I'm in this thread is because I saw it on the main menu of Ultimate Guitar. On any other day I would not venture into this dark corner of this great sie. Anyway, I just want to let the thread starter know that Coheed and Cambria are most definately not Emo or Pop-Punk. No flamming intended but c'mon........
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Last edited by axethrower13 at May 31, 2006,
it was more of an album than a band... Dookie got me into Pop-punk
but for emo it was and always will be the used...

and just to ask DaveyHavokDavey... i don't really think coheed constitues as either a pop-punk or emo band... their new album is totally alternative... almost old school metal
I WANT TO BE THE MINORITY!
The Offspring.

got me into general rock. thanks to them i like pop-punk/metal/rock whatever, it's all down to them.

thats why they're my favourite band ever.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by axethrower13
Alright, the only reason I'm in this thread is because I saw it on the main menu of Ultimate Guitar. On any other day I would not venture into this dark corner of this great sie. Anyway, I just want to let the thread starter know that Coheed and Cambria are most definately not Emo or Pop-Punk. No flamming intended but c'mon........

I know they not emo but they have some pop-punk songs such as blood red summer, a favor house atlantic and three evils. They more progressive alternative but they in this part of the forum so might aswell. I don't think it maters where the put anyway as long as they play great music like they do.
i'd have to say funeral for a friend got me into the whole scene.

but then i moved onto really god damned awful stuff like the used, this was at the time of their first record and fall out boy when take this to your grave was released.

then i moved away from the more pop punky style into what i like now.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
For pop-punk it was New Found Glory and The Starting Line. For emo it was The Early November, how Drive-Thru of me.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
My Chemical Romance... Loved them, Love them, will Love them,, for ever.... Proud punk-listenter
oh and recently.. FallOutBoy
gimme a Microphone,
gimme background music,
gimme some Lyrics
I'll sing you a song
^^you may well get flamed for that...

&josh i can just picture you dancing to nfg.
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
yellowcard and tbs lol
Quote by Lukeisonfire
well your cool you have a taste in music but anyone else....

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
Member number 5 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Jazz
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by frodoisdead

&josh i can just picture you dancing to nfg.

I still listen to Nothing Gold Can Stay up in my room all the time with my guitar hopping around.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
AFI for emo and I dont know what you mean by pop punk now days. Anti-Flag and NOFX used to be Pop Punk now there fallout boy and sum41 (i hate them both). I guess the only recently created pop punk like is Rise Against. AFI and one or two song by HAwthorn heights is all the emo I can stand.
Blink 182, for sure. Such a teenage band that you can relate to. Since then everything from Green day to funeral for a friend and fall out boy.
matchbook romance, the starting line, and taking back sunday. still a big fan of all of those three, fall out boy really got me public about it because a lot of people started to know these bands. big fan of hawthorne heights as well

and screamo music totally turned me off of emo when i first heard it, but now i just kinda ignore it
for pop-punk it was definatly blink, i still respect them.
and emo, uh...i guess TBS. im not calling them emo, im just saying they led me on the right path if you will...
The Deviates and Taking Back Sunday.
Last edited by BumOffBarney at Jun 1, 2006,
I don't think that there was ever a "band" that got me into emo. I got into alot of the post-harcore/ hardcore stuff like From Autumn to Ashes and Glassjaw and bands like that and when I would go to concerts they were playing (Warped Tour ect...)I would see bands that I like now.
I got into alot of bands via the internet though. I think I heard Paperthin Hymn by Anberlin once on the radio and ended up downloading everysong and eventually buying their cds.
The main "band" that got me into emo music i would say was The Get Up Kids if I had to pick one though.
It's weird because I don't consider myself emo (very much) but i fit the persona (black hair, glasses, ect....) but I did it as more of a way to irritate my mom and stand out.
Quote by chloroformkisme
It's weird because I don't consider myself emo (very much) but i fit the persona (black hair, glasses, ect....) but I did it as more of a way to irritate my mom and stand out.

doesn't everyone say that though?
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
Quote by frodoisdead
doesn't everyone say that though?

No it really pisses my mom off. i'm naturally blonde and my hair is black. everytime I touch my roots up my mom says she wants it blonde again. she knows i could easily go back to blonde (i have my license in cosmetology) i just don't want to. plus i look good with dark hair. I walk into walls with my glasses so i need them. they aren't black framed or anything though.
Offspring were the band that made me pick up a guitar... The first time I played something that sounded vaguely like "She's Got Issues" I nearly creamed my pants
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Brand New.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Fall Out Boy's Take This To Your Grave, the album is actually pretty good. it beat the hell out of Under The Cork Tree
I'm Back.

[STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS]

When Autumn comes, it doesn't ask
It just walks in where it left you last
You never know when it starts
Until there's fog inside the glass around your summer heart
new found glory
alkaline trio
taking back sunday
dashboard confessional
Emo it was Texas is the Reason. I distinctly remember going up to the HMV in Oxford Street with my mum and picking up 'Do you know who you are?'. Hadn't heard anything by them at the time but loved the name/title and somehow convinced my mum to buy me it (and the self-titled Offspring CD - both stupidly over-priced but worth it).

Pop punk, was probably Green Day when my brother used to buy stuff after school, but I didn't really know what it was at the time. Got into it a bit more with Blink 182 but it wasn't for a while that I'd really adventure into it - aided by napster. Bad Religion, the first NFG stuff, odd bands that I discovered via the old (and much, much better) mp3.com.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic