#1
Hey, we are recording tracks for our album and this track is in progress pending the recording of a second chorus as adding of drums. Please critique this track and tell me if you think anything should be adjusted. Thank you. Mike.

www.purevolume.com/theeasterrising


EDIT: You should download it, it sounds much better.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 2, 2006,
#2
Wow those vocals really destroyed this for me I'm afraid...I don't even know what to constructively suggest to do with them, other than find another singer? They don't suit at all...

Guitar part was energetic, I liked it as it progressed, especially around 1:10 mark....Nothing blowaway, but good enough.

Please crit mine if you can:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368008
#3
No crazy guitar intended for this track. Thanks for the review... This is just one of many tracks not all tracks need to be heavy after all. Whatever gets the girls naked.


I decided to slightly re-verb the vocals just because, hes not mariah carrey or anything lol. He's Jimmy Buffet's Drummer's Son.

Oh, and I forgot to add, check out our sponsor: PRG Audio... www.prg.com
Last edited by silentdud at May 31, 2006,
#4
Quote by silentdud
No crazy guitar intended for this track. Thanks for the review... This is just one of many tracks not all tracks need to be heavy after all. Whatever gets the girls naked.


I decided to slightly re-verb the vocals just because, hes not mariah carrey or anything lol. He's Jimmy Buffet's Drummer's Son.

Oh, and I forgot to add, check out our sponsor: PRG Audio... www.prg.com


I think vocals may make the girls run away. Ther are a couple sour notes in their, but it really sounds pretty good fo what it is. Change the bass, I feel like I'm listening to free bird. Good quality, but still needs cleaned up a bit.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#5
couldn't be less like free-bird i actually went and downloaded it when you said that... i worked real hard dumbing down the song most of my stuff was just way too complex for people to listen to. you'll see the crazy strange key stuff that guitarists like when I record the waves and our other song "the shocker" (written and performed by a friend of zac wylde) for you no worries ill post it. I can see you like him so I'll get it up as soon as the guy comes and jams with us and hopefully youll like that one atleast.

he albums pretty much a cumulative effort of a bunch of good musicians some of whom are semi famous. so hopefully we will get atleast one good track out of it thanks for the feed back.

some guitarists write music their entire lives and get only a few good songs out of it.

if you wanna chat guitar message me id be glad to hear any production tips recording is a bitch to do i can use production tips.
Last edited by silentdud at May 31, 2006,
#7
Hey silentdud, what equipment are you using to record? Spice up the guitar a little. Add a second part, a lead. Change the bass part up a little. Maybe just turn that into a lead. I have a song that is clean with a bass lead under it, well, and a violin sounding guitar lead. Just mix it up a little. Bring in drums half way through the song. I'll download it, and play around with it.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#8
We have a bunch of custom stuff in a Rig PRG gave us... The mixer we are using I know is a 20 channel Mackie 1600's series. All the microphones are custom picked... sm57betaA, Sm57b, sm58, a bunch of other microphones i haven't heard of for other things.
There is an effects processor but we aren't using it in that track and we also have a CD burner with light pipe out which we are sending to a computer and using the PC as a multiband.

You could probably make a similar rig though for fairly cheap if you use a less expensive mixer or one with less channels. The mixer dumps to the CD burner which has SPDIF out and saves us the trouble of needing to get a multiband. Unfortunately it is more difficult to replicate live sound of a full band playing than most people think... some musicians think in studio is simple but truly you have to know the songs in and out like the back of your hand and you are not relying on the cues of the drummer or another part to come in.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 1, 2006,
#9
the vocals were'nt that bad tbh. (unless you re-uploaded it!) a bit too emotional i think! 0mg teh em0e!!!!! pretty decent, needs a bit of lead guitar up at the end id say.

anyway.. like yeah keep it up! get some more songs uploaded!


heres one of my latest songs:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369041

completely different to your stuff! but i try many different genres for some reason. at the mo im obsessed with industrial
Last edited by NeptuneUK at Jun 1, 2006,
#10
i didnt quite like the key change...

the vocals.... well.... :P

i think the vocals might sound better IF:

1) he dosnt accent the first beat/start of a line of lyrics all the time

2) he dosnt sing as nasally

3)try to lower the key of your song a bit, so he dosnt sound girly high if you know wat i mean.
#11
Well, I like the guitar part, and the tune sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, since the vocals are so bad, I couldn't understand the lyrics.

For the vocals, I would suggest more consonants so that everyone else can understand the lyrics, because 'Words' seem to be the important part, right? I also suggest trying not to scoop. That kind of makes it less meaningful, even though the vocals are trying to be more meaningful by scooping. Making it quiet and pure sounding is better. Vowels for tone, consonants for clarity.

I would also suggest adding something at the end. It just keeps going on with chord after chord, and I keep thinking the vocals are coming back in. Either try soloing with the guitar, or add some other instruments. Maybe find someone with a violin.
Banana Pancakes are Better Together.
#12
I loved the guitar work man, but those vocals gotta go...it might just be cause I hate nasally vocalists like that, but either way they just weren't that good...new vocalist and you might have somethin goin.
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
#14
Um...Actually, I think you might want to record it with him either closer to the mic, or the guitar farther away from it, because all I hear is a muffled form of arranged notes.
Banana Pancakes are Better Together.
#15
Alright man, turn the guitar down, or turn the vocals and drums up. You can barely hear the drums. And from what I can hear of the drums they are of pretty bad, but I think it would be the guitarists fault, because you're speeding up and slowing down a lot. You need to re-record this one, and use a metronome or a click track. Maybe even put a generic fake drum beat down first so you can keep time. And the key change does not sound good at all, in fact, I think you missed the note. If I were you, I would re-do this one. You need to learn to record better.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#16
Firstly thanks for the crit, but I'd love to hear your cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit!?!?!?! If you have one but it doesn't look like it!!! Yeah the song is good but, not my flavour if your gonna record this and preach about how good it is learn the changes properly first!!!! Sounded sloppy to me!!! Singning is really really bad!!!!! Can't hear anything except the guitar!?!?!?! Obviously everything else can't be very good either if your trying to drown them out!!!!! Re-record this add some fills, spice it up a bit and record it better!!!!!!! I'm gonna re-record smells like teen spirit, I recorded it in 1/2 step down which is why it sounds out, but it is also two guitars recorded, one for each channel!!!! Which could have put the timing out slightly!!!! But hey I'd love to hear your version!!!!! I've only been playing for 3 years so I'm still learning!!!!! You've probably played longer then me, and I appreciate your input!!
#17
Settle down with the exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#19
Firstly thanks for the crit, but I'd love to hear your cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit!?!?!?! If you have one but it doesn't look like it!!!


yeah yours was pretty good just out of tune badly to the point where it didn't sound like the song.

k i adjusted the other instruments to be louder. im not really planning on working on this song much more because i have about 2 more i need to record by the end of the week.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 4, 2006,
#20
Drums are off wen you change at about 1:15. It's off badly.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#23
As well as the singer just not being good enough, he's very low in the mix, maybe this is because he isn't very good, but it doesn't sound good. Also, the guitar and drums and bass sound out of time some of the time, which might be because of the way you recorded, but again it is noticeable.

The vocals are important to get right though, and you can't really hear what he's saying, and it doesn't sound good. If he's your friend, fair enough, but you should get a new vocalist if possible.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
#25
Silentdud, here is a tipthis is how I record)
amp=>mic=>mixer=>fasttrack(interface)=>computer(sony acid pro 5)

It is a simple setup, that just needs a little tweaking to use. With Acid Pro 5, you can use Vst plugins to correct vocal impurities. I would suggest getting Acid Pro or any program that hosts VST plugins to record with. Go on limewire or what ever p2p software you use and download some sort of pitch fix software to improve vocals. Also, use a very little bit of delay on vocals. Re-record the guitar, flawlessly(casue it obviously wasn't). Your timing was off when you changed key and missed that note(1:10). Also take a little treble out of the guitar. If your a decent guitarist like you say you are, then you should write a lead bass part for theis song, the same way you would write a lead on guitar over a verse. Re-do the drums using headphones so the drummer can hear everything.

What is your entire setup for recording? let me know so I can help you with recording.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#26
wow dude at first i thought it was kartman singing lolz... sry but i really thought it was... i like the progression but you guyz get way of timing at one part but its ok i guess... i like the progression though and recording quality is really good....
#27
VOCALS ARE TERRIBLE WOW...

other then that, pretty cool
RIG

Marshall MG 50DFX
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standered
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Yamaha APX5A
RP 350
#28
i think the vocals do need work, but it really just sounds like a fairly new singer. give him time and he'll probably get a lot better.

what needs the most work is the timing! most of the instruments were sliding in and out of time with each other a LOT of the time. use a metronome and keep everybody on the beat!

if you describe what gear you're using we can help you with production techniques.

please crit mine - we recorded these in my house. no vocals yet but quality is good!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371193
myspace.com/dropoutdale
#29
Whoa dude...it's WAY off-beat. Get your drummer a metronome; get your guitarist to record AFTER the drums. Give your vocalist a 2-week crash-course voice lesson.




Please check out my song and let me know what you think.
#31
hey silentdud, checkout the acoustic I have on here, it's a little too bassy, but it's sounds pretty good. Let me know what you think. It's not me singing though.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371339
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#33
Quote by guitarwylde03
I think vocals may make the girls run away.


Literally. My sister was in the room when I loaded this and she ran away after hearing the first line. Sorry.

My words have been said by other UGers already. But this was probably better than my first recording, so just live and learn
#34
yeah i just got some mixing tips from this guy john i work with used to mix for dream theatre and stuff... he said we had the microphone hooked into the mixer incorrectly to get a good sound and smooth out his voice... the drums were going into the compressor dry too and strait in so we did that wrong and he showed us how to tweak it all...

this recording is going in the garbage because basically we did most things wrong and there is packet loss on the guitar so it skips. live and learn i guess that happens. no time to rerecord this song this week as I said we need to have two more recorded by the end of this week that should have been done last week.
#35
How do you hook up a mic incorrectly? LOL
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#36
when your doing drums your supposed to loop it into the mixer, AUX out and AUX return from the condensor JUST for the toms and snare and he said to compress vocals too to smooth it out(that's what he did live). He told me not to compress the other drum microphones at all. Also we had things set incorrectly on the mixer and we were miking the acoustic incorrectly which is pretty much a pain to do.

we did enough stupid stuff that somewhere along the line when it dumps to the CD burner and converts to digital it was dropping packets and that is basically like saying "this segment of sound never happened." and moving forward. it makes a skipping sound.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 6, 2006,
#37
When are you going to have more stuff up?
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?


My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
#39
Quote by guitarwylde03
Alright man, turn the guitar down, or turn the vocals and drums up. You can barely hear the drums. And from what I can hear of the drums they are of pretty bad, but I think it would be the guitarists fault, because you're speeding up and slowing down a lot. You need to re-record this one, and use a metronome or a click track. Maybe even put a generic fake drum beat down first so you can keep time. And the key change does not sound good at all, in fact, I think you missed the note. If I were you, I would re-do this one. You need to learn to record better.


I would say maybe just learn to play in time with one another. Overall, I don't really like the song. That's just me. The structure is reasonable and I think it would sound alright if you fixed the vocals and timing things mentioned before.