Ok, I'm going to buy a Les Paul but I'm confused as to what is the better buy:

(According to Musician's Friend)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - $379.99 - $499.99
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top - $399.99
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra - $499.99
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top - $449.99

I know that the Standard is a blend of Alder/Mahogany if I'm not mistaken, and the Plain Top is all Mahogony. But where is the quality? The blend or the single?
Please don't reply unless you know what you're talking about.
Sorry if this has been done before.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Since you like Les Paul style guitars and have the good sense of not spending around $2000++ for a Gibson, I would recommend to get the best one Epiphone makes (used of course). Elitest Maybe?
Plain top. The mahogany body is going to give you a tone much closer to a Gibson LP. Plus, it has a plain maple top, not just a thin flame maple veneer.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I assume the entirety of mahogany would be a fatter tone compared to a sandwhich mahogany/alder. The finish on the Standard looks a little more flashy, as does the Quilted Top, but they also come at a price.
Can someone elaborate more on Standard vs Plain Top?

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
They should be identicle aside from a few things.

Standard:
Mahogany/Alder Body
Flame Maple Veneer
Nicer Colors
Higher cost

Standard Plain Top:
Mahogany Body
Plain Maple Top
Plainer Finishes, Although Still Nice
Cheaper Price thanks to it being easier to finish.

Both have Grover tuners and the pickups should be the same. There sometimes are Standards/Standard Plain Tops without Grovers, so be sure to check.

Other than the few differences, they're identical.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Are you sold on an Epiphone? I've owned Epis but wouldn't trade my Agile AL-3000 for one (maybe a ZW sig lp). Mine cost just under $400 shipped, great guitar.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
id say go with the plain top so it looks like an LP and has the LP feel to it
The thing I don't like about Agiles is that you can't try them first. If you don't like the feel, it's a hassle to ship it back. I know, I know, the guy at Rondo Music is supposed to be really nice, but still, it's a hassle.

Also Mudder, The Epi's that are mainly being talked about here are under $400 as well, so it's not a huge difference in price.

Really, the Plain Top Standard is going to be your best bet for a non-elitist Epi LP. With upgrades in pups I'm sure it will sound close to a Gibson. I'm also 100% positive that it would smoke any Gibson under the Studio easily. Probably even with stock pups. With upgrades (pups, possibly wiring/pots), I wouldn't be surprised if it was on par with a Gibson LP Studio. It probably won't have tone quite as good because in nearly all cases the Gibson's from the Studio up will have higher quality wood, but it will sound amazing. You also don't have to worry about getting a "dud" like you would with Gibson. I've heard at least ten stories about dud Gibsons that people have gotten here on UG.

The Epi's are more machine made, so they have better quality control. With a few upgrades, you can have an amazing guitar for under $600. That beats the hell out of the $1250 for a Gibson LP Studio, or the $2200 Gibson LP Standard. Yes, it may not sound quite as good as those, but I'm sure it won't be far off. Especially if Gibson's quality has gone down as much as people are saying.

Plus, just a personal preference here, Epi LP necks beat the snot out of Gibson necks in terms of comfort. Gibson necks are ok, but they feel really thick to me. Epi necks feel perfect in my opinion.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar