I just took the strings off my guitar after practicing for hours. And I dont even want to look at the guitar for the rest of the day (my fingers are blllleeeeeeeding )

The guitar is a one-piece body, not a bolt-on job. Will the guitar be ok if I just wait till tommorow to string it?
seriously i dont know but if it was me and i had the strings available...why take the chance?
President of "Blink 182 Fan club" club
PM Me to join

Set-up
My very own baby with LED's
GX212 Ultratwin by Behringer
MT-2 boss metal zone pedal
Don't worry about it. It's not like your neck is going to snap from a night without strings.
Its not good to do that!! Specially not overnight! The strings add tension to the neck, you risk the neck bending backwards!
i wouldnt reccomend it
Truss rod?
Trem or fixed?
If trem: floating or standard?
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
yeah never take of all the strings off at once, always leave 1 or 2 on just to keep the tension.
It should be just fine.
Quote by Rox0r713
I nominate giveitaname87 for UG's "Most likely to be a Serial Killer" award.
Bs, it's fine to leave your guitar neck unstrung overnight. When the neck is attached to the body, it isn't attached at an angle. It won't "bend back" because it doesn't have tension. That is like saying the monkey bars will float off into space if kids don't hang from them.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
You idiots, he's gonna **** up his guitar. I did it once with my guitar when i was a noob and didn't know how to restring, so i took it to a guitar store, and the salesman ****ing freaked out that i'd done this to a 1,000 dollar guitar. So do NOT leave your guitar unstringed. The sale's guy said i was ****ing lucky the guitar wasn't ****ed up. So i repeat, do NOT do that!

Edit: It was a littel different after i put strings back on it, but im unsure if its any worse than before. Definately a change in the feel of it though.

Its not gonna bend back noticably unless you look for it, but there should always be string tension on the neck!
Quote by guitarforever<3
You idiots, he's gonna **** up his guitar. I did it once with my guitar when i was a noob and didn't know how to restring, so i took it to a guitar store, and the salesman ****ing freaked out that i'd done this to a 1,000 dollar guitar. So do NOT leave your guitar unstringed. The sale's guy said i was ****ing lucky the guitar wasn't ****ed up. So i repeat, do NOT do that!

Edit: It was a littel different after i put strings back on it, but im unsure if its any worse than before. Definately a change in the feel of it though.

Its not gonna bend back noticably unless you look for it, but there should always be string tension on the neck!

I believe this to be 100% wrong. I stay true to the monkey bar analogy.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I had my guitar unstrung for about a week...and to my suprise it didn't explode!! But seriously, it wasn't by choice..I took the strings off and I planned to get more the next day, but then there was a hurricane and stores were closed for a week...but the guitar was fine..
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
well the neck is a piece of wood right?

Wood warps and bends over time when its not on an even surface...kinda like the lumber at home depot i suppose

I guess.....So maybe if it was unstrung over time the neck would warp too? Maybe...

But still

Nothing will happen to it overnight

^ and GuitarForever<3 Now that your not a guitar "noob" why did you downgrade your guitar? You said when you were a "noob" the guitar store guy said you were lucky you didn't bust that guitar that was worth a full grand

so your next guitar was a $600 Epi LP custom?!?!?!?!?!??!

Say wha?!?!
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
Quote by SlipAway
I had my guitar unstrung for about a week...and to my suprise it didn't explode!! But seriously, it wasn't by choice..I took the strings off and I planned to get more the next day, but then there was a hurricane and stores were closed for a week...but the guitar was fine..

damn glad my strings were fairly new when the hurricanes rolled around.
The monkey bar analogy wins.

How do you think guitars are made? There are hundreds of freshly finished Les Pauls hanging at the Gibson factory right now and guess what, they are ALL unstrung! ZOMG!

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at May 31, 2006,
^ They've never been strung before^^

It only matters if the guitar has been strung for longer periods of time.

And to the guy asking about downgrading my guitar, that one was my acoustic, and the epiphone cost me about as much, since i live in THE most expensive country in the world. Although, the salaries are bigger over here
Quote by R0CKER1220
damn glad my strings were fairly new when the hurricanes rolled around.

ah..another survivor
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
Quote by guitarforever<3

its fun to curse, but is all that nessacery? lol
OK HERE"S THE DEAL!

no it doesnt break and like said guitars are left unstrung all the time, no they dont warp and if its just a short amount of time it probably wont make much difference but here's why u SHOULDNT do it anyway...

unless u know how to set up ur guitar, u should swap out a string at a time even when restringing. because ull get more shifting with an unstrung neck.
sometimes TOM bridges move or pop off. sometimes intonation screws move a little when not under tension, and sometimes trem bridges have a hard time finding their balance after restrung.

can these things be fixed, YEP. do u want to do it every time, probably not.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by guitarforever<3
^ They've never been strung before

It doesn't matter. Guitars are left unstrung for extended periods of time during repairs and storage. In fact, it is advised that you loosen the strings when you know you aren't going to be playing it for a long period of time.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by SlipAway
ah..another survivor

been through every hurricane in south Florida for the past 15 years, 5 months and 11 days. 'cause i've lived here my whole life. . .sadly

It's kind of refreshing to live without electricity for a few days, i see much more sunlight, play more acoustic guitar, and we can get back to our roots pre-Thomas Edison.
DOn't worry, I 've unstrung my guitar for about a month now, since I have to replace the locking nut WHCIIH STILL HASN"T COME YET!
Theres nothing to worry about, overnight will do nothing, in fact months wont do anything. And it will eventually bend, all wood will, but thats why you have a truss rod. theres nothing to worry about, its not like you have to repaint a guitar with the strings on. anyone who says otherwise is/are noobs, dont listen to them.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by zero27
yeah never take of all the strings off at once, always leave 1 or 2 on just to keep the tension.

I saw this one video where the guy said he always took off all the strings at once every time he restrung it, for the past 35 years.. and the guitar is in great condition..
and again.

Yes, u can take off the strings, but like u said, ^ the guy that did it, has been playing 35 years, so theres a pretty good chance that he knows how to adjust the guitar after strings are back on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Armored Artist
The monkey bar analogy wins.

How do you think guitars are made? There are hundreds of freshly finished Les Pauls hanging at the Gibson factory right now and guess what, they are ALL unstrung! ZOMG!

yeah but monkey bars don't have truss rods attempting to bend them. as for the unstrung les pauls in the gibson factory, you can bet that there isn't any tension put onto the truss rods until the strings are put on.

having said all that, i don't think that leaving it unstrung for a single night will do any harm.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Speaking as someone who has played geeetar for 16 years I would never leave the neck untensioned ,i.e. with no strings on, for any longer than a couple of hours. Past experiences have taught me it's a daft idea. I'm not saying it's going to screw up your neck (but it might) but the hassle you get from sorting the neck out, letting it come back to shape when you put strings back on etc it's just not worth the effort esp if you can avoid it.