When I play my guitar standing up, my shoulder starts to get sore after about 10-15 minutes. Should this be happening. By the way, my guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
I'm curious myself. I get the same thing. Perhaps the strap or the way you hold it has an effect?
Usually I find that shoulder pain is the result of too much tension while playing. I'm assuming its on the fretting side of your body? If so, you might think about keeping yourself consciously aware of how tense you get when you play. Also, cinch your strap up a little. If the guitar hangs too low, you'll have to contort your arm to fret notes. That = pain.

Let me know how it turns out.
Heh, try an HOUR with a GIBSON LES PAUL !!! You'll wanna break your arm !!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
if its your right shoulder, it could be from using a bad strumming technique where you move your entire arm.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
i think you'll get used to the weight soon...did you just buy it?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
^what, the strap or the guitar?
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

get a padded strap.
dont play with the guitar too low.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Les Paul's usually weigh a ton. That may be part of it. The kind of strap may be a part of it. Getting used to playing standing up with a strap may be a part of it. On the tension angle, you may be building up tension all the way to your shoulder by the way you use chords. If you keep your fingers down on the fretboard all the time you never release the tension in your body. If you mute your fingers when playing chords (let up without taking them off the strings and then press back down on the same chord), or bounce your fingers (take them all the way off the strings and then set them down on the same chord), it releases tension and gives your body a break every moment or so instead of constantly tensing your body to keep the fingers pressed down all the time. If you've already accounted for all this stuff, then you just gotta get used to it.
^thanks
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

imagine playing a corvette, it kills my shoulder! you could raise the guitar, a padded strap like somebody already said or get a wider strap, a wider strap usually helps a lot, or you could combine all three
get a new strap. The right strap takes allt he pain away, or you could just bear sit down like I used to.
Dickless.
Well it has been a week or so, and I must say that this advice helped. I don't feel any shoulder pain from the guitar or strap. I adjusted my strap so my guitar was higher and I fixed my problem with the tension in my arm. Thanks.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

New straps are your friends. Either your strap isn't padded very well or at all or you are playing with too much tension.
Yeah I usually get pain after practicing for hours and hours...but that's what I get....
God.....Why did I add Mudvayne to my name?
Please forgive me my fellow brothers (and sisters i guess..?) in guitar.
Playing your guitar too low can also cause you to get arthritis in your fingers when you're older. So, y'know, all you punk rockers who wear you guitars round your ankles ... *tut tut.*