I am thinking about replacing the humbuckers that came with my Epi LP with the Zakk Wylde EMG set. How hard of a job would this be? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking the EMG's should fit well since Zakk uses them in a LP. So if I am wrong, I don't really want to rip up my guitar to replace some pickups. Also, if a relatively easy fix, how much, guessing, would it cost for a luthier (or whoever) to install them? Thanks.
Last edited by drumguyonguitar at May 31, 2006,
Quote by drumguyonguitar
I am thinking about replacing the humbuckers that came with my Epi LP with the Zakk Wylde EMG set. How hard of a job would this be? I don't really want to rip up my guitar to replace some pickups. Also, if a relatively easy fix, how much, guessing, would it cost for a luthier (or whoever) to install them? Thanks.

Installing pickups is very simple, and requires no body mods. Just follow the directions that come with the EMGs, they're very simple.
I think it's fairly easy. An installation would cost anywhere from 10USD to 50USD depending on if you get a setup done as well, and if the person is nice and fair.
I would just get someone to help you that knows how to solder. But the Zakks are also solderless aren't they? If that works for your guitar, it's very easy.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
I think it's fairly easy. An installation would cost anywhere from 10USD to 50USD depending on if you get a setup done as well, and if the person is nice and fair.
I would just get someone to help you that knows how to solder. But the Zakks are also solderless aren't they? If that works for your guitar, it's very easy.

They're not solderless. Basically, you only have to solder a bit less than a passive pickup. You put the new jack and pots in, and you solder the pickups to the pots, and then you solder the pots to the battery clip. What you're thinking of is the Quik-Connect system, which is pretty much useless unless you already have EMGs in your guitar. If you do, you just unplug the pickup from the Quik-Connect cable, and plug the new pickup in, and adjust the height.
Oh yeah, would this void the warranty? I myself couldn't care less if it did, but my dad is crazy about the warranty and I don't think he'll allow me to buy them if it voids it.
Quote by drumguyonguitar
Oh yeah, would this void the warranty? I myself couldn't care less if it did, but my dad is crazy about the warranty and I don't think he'll allow me to buy them if it voids it.

Yeah. I think it does, but if you're crazy about screwing it up, let a pro do it. I put an EMG-81 in my guitar as my first soldering project, and it works perfectly.
Don't the EMG's need a battery somewhere? Do you have to route a hole to put the battery in?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i have a dean 79 flying v, would a battery or two (h/e many you need for an 81 and an 85) fit in it's cavity?
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
How often does the 9v need changed with EMG's?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
How often does the 9v need changed with EMG's?

Like once a year. It lasts for 5000 hours, and that's only when it's plugged in. You get a lot of juice from a tiny battery.
So, once a year you'd need to pull the pickup out and replace the battery? That's not too bad...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
So, once a year you'd need to pull the pickup out and replace the battery? That's not too bad...

No, you don't pull the pickup out. The battery is with the pots. You open up the back panel, switch out batteries, and then close it back up.

Did you think the battery was inside the pickup?
hmmm... just generally pull your plug out of the input jack when you dont use the guitar or else it will drain the battery