while playing recently through my hot rod deluxe ive been getting crackling sounds. I checked my cables and switched guitars but the problem doesnt seem to go away. is this a sign that i might need to replace my tubes? or is there something wrong with the speaker?..

UPDATED THE PROBLEM ON MY LAST POST
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Last edited by frank694 at Jun 16, 2006,
yea ive been having the same problem. i dont know what it is i think it might be the tubes. ive had mine for like 5 years. so it could be
Quote by mullet0023
yea ive been having the same problem. i dont know what it is i think it might be the tubes. ive had mine for like 5 years. so it could be

lol..ive only had mine for 3 months...but it was a display..so im prettys sure the tubes were messed up cuz of people not warming up the amp before use...
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
hey guys...after replacing the tubes, the problem still persist. Then i thought it might be speaker or something so i unplugged the speaker and connected my vintage 30 speaker..at first it wasnt doing the crackling sound but after 5 minutes of playing it did. This is anoying as hell guys, to describe the problem abit more, each time i hit the "A" or "E" string on my guitar(standard tuning) it gives of a crackling sound. but when i hit the rest of the other strings it sounds normal..this is really pissing me off since ijust bought this amp at samash 3 months ago and its already not working properly. Is there anything else i could check? could it be the pre-amp tubes? or should i just take it to the pros and let them take a crack at it?
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
is it only when you play? or in between too?
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
when im playing it does it..then the crackling gets so severe that i hold the strings so it wont crackle but it still does even when im not playing..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
have you tried it running straight in? without the effects?
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
yup..just straight into the amp..no fx..no nothing..i noticed that it started doing that after using my overdrive pedal(Boss SD-1). could that be the culprit?
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
how did you check the cables? the only crackling ive ever had was from bad cables
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Quote by SGloserkid
how did you check the cables? the only crackling ive ever had was from bad cables

yup..i checked cables...power supplies for my effects...didnt try the effects..checked power supply..replaced tubes...used a different speaker...still crackling
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by frank694
Is there anything else i could check? could it be the pre-amp tubes?

you did change these right? that would have been one of the first things I looked at.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
you did change these right? that would have been one of the first things I looked at.

no, i didnt replace the preamp tubes... could that be the culprit? Ima take a look at the prices..i think ima just take it to a repair shop..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by mullet0023
u know it might not be the amp. it could be ur guitars and/or cables.

i believe i stated earlier that i tried different guitars and cables...and problem still persisted...

Quote by Plexi Bassman
pre amp tubes is one of the most common culprits. They're often overlooked.

can i test it out by using the preamp tubes in my traynor ycv50blue(12AX7WA Dual Triodes)..or will those not work with my hot rod deluxe?

if not.ill take a look and might buy some replacements...ill get back to you guys with the results?

by the way, is there anything special i have to do to them before or after replacing them?like biasing or sumthing,just like i would for power tubes? or do i just put them in and turn the sucker on?

thanks alot guys..

EDIT: by the way, which preamp tubes will i be looking for?12AX7?..will anybrand work? or do i have to get GT?..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Last edited by frank694 at Jun 16, 2006,
any brand will work as long as it's compatible with your amp(ie 12ax7, 12at7,etc.). Preamp tubes don't need to be biased. Also, it's most likely only one tube, so you could probably get one tube and swap it into each position until you find the problem tube. It's very rare that more than one preamp tube will go at once. However, since they aren't a lot, it might not be a bad idea to change all of them, or at least get a couple extra for spares.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Isnt it because your tubes are breaking up (going into overdrive)???
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
Isnt it because your tubes are breaking up (going into overdrive)???

no..i have it on the clean channel..wen it goes into overdrive..the problem goes away..but then again..i wouldnt be able to hear it...

ima go buy some replacement preamp tubes..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
make sure to get a balanced preamp tube for the driver spot if you decide to replace all of them.
amp clips
amp vids