Page 1 of 2
So i hear ... But people dont understand that im not a good guitar player. I play songs they like and they know so they assume im a really good guitar player..

I live in a town with like 3000 people in it and my school is full of kurt cobain wana be's and depressed emo hawtorn heights lovers ..

I watch videos and read articles about how im no good for nothing unless i have a place in the blues, jazz or classical music, and i believe it. There is no one around here that can teach me what i want to learn or help me become any better.. I hardly know anything about the guitar besides how to tune it (im good at that yay for me) or read a tab (some times i get lost when theres no ledgen to follow... * this means squel )

I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I dont want to go ay further with out SOME training.. What i want is maybe some kind of online school or something or a website i can subscribe to for help with my guitar. is there a such place?

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Andrewsonfire
So i hear ... But people dont understand that im not a good guitar player. I play songs they like and they know so they assume im a really good guitar player..

I live in a town with like 3000 people in it and my school is full of kurt cobain wana be's and depressed emo hawtorn heights lovers ..

I watch videos and read articles about how im no good for nothing unless i have a place in the blues, jazz or classical music, and i believe it. There is no one around here that can teach me what i want to learn or help me become any better.. I hardly know anything about the guitar besides how to tune it (im good at that yay for me) or read a tab (some times i get lost when theres no ledgen to follow... * this means squel )

I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I dont want to go ay further with out SOME training.. What i want is maybe some kind of online school or something or a website i can subscribe to for help with my guitar. is there a such place?

A: bask in the glory

B: ug has some good lessons
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Maxwell Bass
............ um ok?

theres this thing called google.com ever hear of it?

yeah what a great teacher
The only advice I can give you is that more than 80% of the "legends" are self-taught, and I'm excluding guitar wizards (Vai, Satch) because I don't know their history. But obviously you have access to the internet, makes it your teacher. Anything you want to learn look up videos, check out the guitar lessons with all of the great players and ask anyone on the forums if you need help learning anything, as for me, I've been playing about 10 months-ish and I'm playing Children of Bodom and similiar more-difficult pieces. And the last piece of advice I can offer is be persistant and put your best effort into your guitar playing and you'll be extremely good in no time. The most important thing with music is dedication.
Originally Posted by Teleprompters
people taking dumps in my guitar case
^dude, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic and making fun of your pretty much worthless suggestion. I assume he didn't want to go through the hassle of searching it on google and having to click on countless sites trying to find a good lesson and was asking for some help. No need to be a ****.

EDIT: this post was meant for maxwell bass
ICE
CREAM
IS
GONNA
SAVE
THE
DAY
...AGAIN
Quote by Room On Fire
^dude, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic and making fun of your pretty much worthless suggestion. I assume he didn't want to go through the hassle of searching it on google and having to click on countless sites trying to find a good lesson and was asking for some help. No need to be a ****.

EDIT: this post was meant for maxwell bass

thank you.. I tryed that already. I dont know what to search for and when i search for something it brings me to a bunch of half assed run websites that makes me pay for sound clips
Fact:Never claim you're AWESOME or GREAT, it makes you look like a cocky prick, and it WILL come back to bite you in your ass, maybe by having a 10 year old kid play 100 times better than you. When someone asks me if i'm good, i say "i'm ok" or "i can hold a tune". I would never say i'm GREAT!!
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by 0utlawT0rn
The only advice I can give you is that more than 80% of the "legends" are self-taught, and I'm excluding guitar wizards (Vai, Satch) because I don't know their history. But obviously you have access to the internet, makes it your teacher. Anything you want to learn look up videos, check out the guitar lessons with all of the great players and ask anyone on the forums if you need help learning anything, as for me, I've been playing about 10 months-ish and I'm playing Children of Bodom and similiar more-difficult pieces. And the last piece of advice I can offer is be persistant and put your best effort into your guitar playing and you'll be extremely good in no time. The most important thing with music is dedication.

Actually, Satch was self-taught.
Quote by Maxwell Bass
ARE YOU A RETARD!!!

you search for a teacher on their you dumbass omfg dude... be serious

and i bet no one on this forum, cares that your the best guitar player in your school, i doubt anyway really does, cause theirs people here who are 500,000,000,000 times better than you and can care less.... search your own teachers....

seriously dude.. Im probly not the best guitar player in my school. And your some kind of douche.
Lol, did you see the part where I wrote, I dunno their history
dude you did not make a suggestion.

............ um ok?

theres this thing called google.com ever hear of it?

Thats implying a condescending tone, as if he's stupid.
Then you called him retarded.
Then you called me a dick.
Doesn't sound very much like a suggestion to me.
You're the one complaining because you got owned.
Most of those tons of sites either make you sign up, pay, or just plain suck.
Shut up, your "suggestion" sucked and now you're being a whiny bitch.
ICE
CREAM
IS
GONNA
SAVE
THE
DAY
...AGAIN
Quote by Stop Messin'
Fact:Never claim you're AWESOME or GREAT, it makes you look like a cocky prick, and it WILL come back to bite you in your ass, maybe by having a 10 year old kid play 100 times better than you. When someone asks me if i'm good, i say "i'm ok" or "i can hold a tune". I would never say i'm GREAT!!

i hope i didnt come off cocky, i came here looking for help and went on about how people didnt know what they were talkin about in my school. Im not a cocky guy and i seen 10 year old kids play a hell of alot better then me.
W/e man, go with the flow I guess.
I used to be the best in my school too 'til people got good.
You guys should probably STFU right about now, the threadstarter started this for a reason, he is needing help so don't be assholes. Yes Maxwell Bass, I'm referring to you.
Quote by Stop Messin'
Fact:Never claim you're AWESOME or GREAT, it makes you look like a cocky prick, and it WILL come back to bite you in your ass

+1

when you've only been playing for 2 years, you start to sound like the songs you like so you think you are as good as the people who wrote them but that can't be further from th truth. Everybody needs to be humbled once in a while
you haven't even kissed the shoes of your maximum self teaching level until you have memorized every mode of every scale in every key. There is nothing to complain about.

the majority of lessons on ultimate guitar as bull crap as well as the majority of lessons online about music... don't bother go to Barnes and noble don't mess around with stuff that will mess you up later.
I think that you can teach yourself with anything you can find on internet. But I think that the basic thing to do and to do 'til the end of your life is working on your weaknesses in your playing. If your thump is parallel to your neck you got a big ****in problem, work on it to put it straight when you're playing, way more easy to play like this(just an example). You can apply it on anything. You can't read music very well ---> work on it. You wanna do some crazy blues licks like Slash ? Find patterns, pentatonics and work on it. Practice, pratice and don't forget practice. I'm not self taught, maybe a little but I got some private classes and it's really nice when you have a nice teacher. I've been playing for a little more than two years with classes and I can play stuff like Van Halen, Guns, Velvet Revolver, Metallica and a lot more. I'm starting to do some Satch stuff and I can tell that's it's really helpful to work on some legato, pentatonics and exercise. Look forward on UG lessons !
oh ya and one last comment...Who cares if he's cocky...I just watched that Dimebag video of him teaching his harmonic squeals, guess what?
HE'S EXTREMELY COCKY!!!. AND SO IS ZAKK WLYDE, AND ANYONE WHO DOUBTS ME ON THIS...YOU'RE EXTREMELY WRONG

bye now.
Quote by Maxwell Bass
dude shut the **** up... i make a suggestion and he goes yeah some teacher!

and its google, he dosent know what google is for? i mean seriously your sticking up for him like your his ****ing mom...

he knows what google is, his and everyone esle's problem is your overall hostile sharp attitude, you could have said try looking for lessons using google, and it wouldnt have sounded so snappy, thus this whole thing could have been avoided, just like guitars TONE has alot to do with it.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
everyone deserves a chance...and if it was you who started this thread, I'd stick up for your ass too. :P
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Congrats.

I'm the best musician in my apartment building. Happy?

Lmao!

And Andrew your the best guitarist ever!! betetrt han vai, malmsteen, tremonti, page, i praise you so much!!!! your the best man!!!
Quote by Andrewsonfire
i hope i didnt come off cocky, i came here looking for help and went on about how people didnt know what they were talkin about in my school. Im not a cocky guy and i seen 10 year old kids play a hell of alot better then me.

No i didn't mean you I ment the people that actually say stuff like that. Chances are if you brag on and on about how good you are, you suck big, juicy bull testicles after the bull loses.

I read about one kid who said he mastered Eruption only 3 days into playing for the first time You could practice for 3 days non-stop and your fingues wouldn't be developed enough to even make a chord.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
No i didn't mean you I ment the people that actually say stuff like that. Chances are if you brag on and on about how good you are, you suck big, juicy bull testicles after the bull loses.

I read about one kid who said he mastered Eruption only 3 days into playing for the first time You could practice for 3 days non-stop and your fingues wouldn't be developed enough to even make a chord.

your penis isnt developed enough to get your girl off, now stop your fighting you two little boys... lets all agree on the fact that self teaching is the only way for this man to get his job done.
if you want to shred neo-classical style check out this guys stuff, classical guitar written for the electric and a pick. listen to some soundclips. Now just imagine this stuff sped up, instant Yngwie. It wont teach you all the theory but if you take it apart and analize it and try playing over some backing tracks you can get a good idea of how to be in key with your solos. Id start with Bach Set and go all the way thru.

http://www.raisingthebarre.com/
I taught myself everything i know the only lesson i took was for the Freebird solo, im not bragging cause im not the greatest guitarst ever, but im good enough to learn a song.Most people piss me off when they say oh i learned stairway to heaven in a day including the solo. If they did learn it they either didnt do it right or didnt have the right technique or rhythm, alot of guitarist make me mad when they brag and have no rhythm when if you dont have rhythm wen you play guitar then you dont have anything.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Congrats.

I'm the best musician in my apartment building. Happy?

what about that old black guy that owns at the blues that you've never met?!
I don't jump around when I go to shows.
Quote by silentdud
your penis isnt developed enough to get your girl off, now stop your fighting you two little boys... lets all agree on the fact that self teaching is the only way for this man to get his job done.

Well seeing as how i have a vagina, a fiancee and i'm a girl, you suck.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'

whats pretty much as equal as self modesty is modesty of others. no guitar player uses magic to play, they are all doing completely human things, with practice anyone could be as good as them.

im the best guitarist in my apartment building and school, but only because im the only guitarist in my apartment building and school.
andrew stop ****in moping! ur not bloody well bothered thats ur problem! u dont have 2 be a blues/jazz genius to play kick ass guitar! trust me i did all the spanish/classical guitar 4 3 years and i've just realised i didn't need to! sure its nice to play sum of dat ****e but it aint necessary! go out now and get a mag called- guitar dvd or metal dvd[cant remember] its a one off and i've learned so ****in much from it! plus look round loads of people teach themselves u dont need a teach[trust me they not as frickin great as they seem].... if u still feel crap then i advise u 2 just give up becoz ur causin ur fellow guitarists too much brain haemorage!
right now man seriously if you dont know your scales and modes learn those, get the circle of 5ths down, learn technique practice using your pinky hitting Pinchs on you B and high E strings past the 12th fret stuff like that, i was the only guitar player in my school for awhile and i had the same thing everyone was like your amazing and then i started teaching kids and they went with it and are starting to scare me to wear im practicing alot now
Page 1 of 2