AHH!!! This sucks... I know the major scale all up and down the kneck and stuff, but when I solo it is always the pentatonic I use. I wanna be able to do the metal sounding stuff.

Like I am a big fan of angus young, so I am stuck on his style. I want to play like the metal solos. any advice?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Learn Iron Maiden and Megadeth solos (specifically Friedman's work) and learn your modes.

even then, a lot of maiden solo's do use pent (dont listen to megadeth), with major or minor in there too, its really just the quick runs or the melodic bends that use things outside of pent in a lot of metal.

but you're right, you should use a lot more of major scale and its modes to be able to solo well in metal. to do so, try puttin on one of your metal songs, and at the bridge, make sure you're using major or its modes and solo away, but dont FORCE yourself to use a 2, b6, or 7 if it dosnt fit the part you're doin, if you know wat i mean. scales are there to help you sound good, doesnt mean you have to use each and every note all the time.
Quote by mangablade
even then, a lot of maiden solo's do use pent (dont listen to megadeth), with major or minor in there too, its really just the quick runs or the melodic bends that use things outside of pent in a lot of metal.
Maiden uses a lot of pentatonic riffs mixed with Aeolian/Dorian/Phrygian runs which sounds really cool. And yes, he should learn Megadeth solos, specifically "Tornado of Souls" and "Lucretia." Those are really great and unusual solos.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Maiden uses a lot of pentatonic riffs mixed with Aeolian/Dorian/Phrygian runs which sounds really cool. And yes, he should learn Megadeth solos, specifically "Tornado of Souls" and "Lucretia." Those are really great and unusual solos.

you just agreed with me about using the modes for runs :P i dont see why you quoted me lol.