Im getting set up with an epi valve junior head, its class A, 5W. Alot of people recommend changing the tubes in it, its got 1 pre amp and 1 power tube. I am looking to put in some new tubes that will give me a higher gain and a bit heavier sound. Firstly, I was wondering if the epi head will only take specific types of tubes. I believe it has sovtek sockets if that matters. I was really hoping that it can take a groove tube rectifier tube. Do I have to pay attention to the wattage? will the low wattage of the head not get a good overdriven/higher gain sound out of tubes meant for higher powered amps?

Also, can I use the same tubes for the pre amp and power, or do I need different ones? As people can probably see I am very new to working with tube amps, but I am just way too tired of my solid state. Any pointers would be great! thanks -ws
You will need a 12AX7 for the preamp and an EL84 for the power tube. Go to this website and find some that suit you, any of them will be fine. Just be careful, most power tubes are sold as matched pairs, so don't accidentally order two tubes (unless you want a backup, which is not a bad idea.)

www.thetubestore.com
What type of tubes can I expect to get an overdriven sound out of? Is it the power or preamp tube that achieves the higher gain sound?
Quote by greyalien
What type of tubes can I expect to get an overdriven sound out of? Is it the power or preamp tube that achieves the higher gain sound?

Most modern [hi] gain sounds these days comes from the preamp. The poweramp distortion is more considering it's more rounded and pleasing but you obviously have to saturate them to get the best sound, which means cranking your amp enough to get to that 'sweet spot.' You can always use an attuator to achieve this.

Oh, and don't expect high gain sounds out of the Valve Junior even if you do get "high gain" versions of your preamp tube. It's not a high gain amp, obviously, it's more for blues and classic rock. If you want heavier distortion then you'll have to run an OD/Distortion pedal through it.
B-52 AT-100 -> Marshall 1936 -> Eastwood Johnny Ramone Elite