Hey guys i need some help here...

I found a jcm 900 slx in brand new condition with el34's for $750 canadian.
I also found a jcm 900 dual reverb in good condition. I dont know which tubes are in it, but i'd assume el34's. it looks in good condition from the pics i've seen and its going for $799 canadian.

I'm also assumin i can bargain a bit with either owner.

I am curious which is the better deal here? would the dual reverb be better than the slx considering the independant channels? i could use some insight on which amp is better. I'd probably get a od pedal too.

lastly, how do these prices look?

thanks.
ummm really id say the dual reverb goes for more if its 100 watts, the SL-Xs big claim is that KISS used them on tour and stuff both amps have decent rock or semi metal tones tho
SL-X has more gain. dual reverb is more a JCM800 and SL-X more JCM2000. thats just an analogy though, i'm not saying that's what they are.

i have the dual reverb, and it is GREAT. with an OD you can get metal tones, and i find it better than a dual recto because of the use of an od, as everything is much tighter.
i am in the research process of building a JCM800 2205 with the white tolex

it's just a matter of preference.
I had a JCM900 SL-X and now i have a JCM800 4210 (wich is very similar to the Dual Reverb) and i think the JCM900 had better metal tones, but the JCM800 has alot better crunch. For me id say Dual Reverb.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^Yeah, with an OD. Im selling it though!

your selling your jcm 800?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^I want a stack so im trading it. Ive got 1960 cabs at band practise wich i plug in my CJM800 to, but then ill just have to bring a head, wich is easier to transport. A guy with a 4500 JCM900 Dual reverb is gonna trade it with me, so hes getting my JCM800 combo and a Boss DSD2 and im getting a JCM900 4500 Dual Reverb and a Marshall 1936 212 cab!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Jun 1, 2006,
^Ill return with info when i got it! But id say Dual Reverb...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by korinaflyingv
jpetrucci5655, i thought you had some sort of mesa boogie?

i sold it. it sounded really good but i wanted a head and a cab as i move around a lot and can get cabs anywhere i want to go, so i only needed the head.

turns out i got the marshall just to use the cab, but to have an amp to play in the meantime, and i actually like it better. it's tighter and raunchier. not as much distortion, but my OD is there to solve the problem.
Quote by fencejack
Hey guys i need some help here...

I found a jcm 900 slx in brand new condition with el34's for $750 canadian.
I also found a jcm 900 dual reverb in good condition. I dont know which tubes are in it, but i'd assume el34's. it looks in good condition from the pics i've seen and its going for $799 canadian.

I'm also assumin i can bargain a bit with either owner.

I am curious which is the better deal here? would the dual reverb be better than the slx considering the independant channels? i could use some insight on which amp is better. I'd probably get a od pedal too.

lastly, how do these prices look?

thanks.

Get the DR JCM900 the SL-X's, IMO, have less gain and the tone isn't as good. I've had the opportunity to play on a DR JCM900 and they're great amps. You can probably snag one on Ebay for less than $1000, even with the cab. But I'd advise you to get the tubes changed out. BTW, I doubt you'll need an OD pedal on either unless you're playing death metal. These things have plenty of gain. They have just a little less than the JCM2000 series.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
what

from what i hear, the slx has MORE gain and stuff

so ts u liv ein toronto? :p
Minsoo s.w.
As far as marshall's gain goes:
JCM2000>JCM900>JCM800>JMP's...........whatever comes after the JCM2000's will probably have like 6 or 7 gain stages. Speaking of which JCM2000's have been around for ~10 years so its about time a line was introduced. Any word on anything new from the Marshall camp?
Quote by Gabel
^I want a stack so im trading it. Ive got 1960 cabs at band practise wich i plug in my CJM800 to, but then ill just have to bring a head, wich is easier to transport. A guy with a 4500 JCM900 Dual reverb is gonna trade it with me, so hes getting my JCM800 combo and a Boss DSD2 and im getting a JCM900 4500 Dual Reverb and a Marshall 1936 212 cab!

i thought you said you didn't like the 900's compared to the 800's....you probably could of sold your combo and gotten an 2205 800 head for around 100 bucks more.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
hey guys im in the exactly same situationa s the ts her.e.

a jcm900 MKIII form 1990-1992 , the DR

or a jcm900Slx?

haha
Minsoo s.w.
heh, minsoo do you live in toronto?

im starting to think we're after the same amps.

i checked out the DR jcm 900 today... but i cant really comment on it. something was wrong with the connection and im hoping its not he amp itself. the sound was cuttin in and out. i didnt have time to go through it in detail and find the problem since i was in a rush. but i'll be going back tomorrow and maybe i can get a better test of the amp and fiddle with the knobs a bit.
Quote by Gutch220
Any word on anything new from the Marshall camp?

The bone crushing MF350.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by bonchie1
i thought you said you didn't like the 900's compared to the 800's....you probably could of sold your combo and gotten an 2205 800 head for around 100 bucks more.

Well i didnt liek teh SL-X as much as teh JCM800, but teh Dual Reverb is very close to the one i have now.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If I were you I'd keep the 800 and get a new amp, this way you have both. because you WILL regret selling your JCM800
Quote by fencejack
heh, minsoo do you live in toronto?

im starting to think we're after the same amps.

i checked out the DR jcm 900 today... but i cant really comment on it. something was wrong with the connection and im hoping its not he amp itself. the sound was cuttin in and out. i didnt have time to go through it in detail and find the problem since i was in a rush. but i'll be going back tomorrow and maybe i can get a better test of the amp and fiddle with the knobs a bit.

haha yes i DO liv ein toronto!

maybe were going after the same Slx, which im hoping to get:p

but the seller of the jcm900 wotn contact me bac.. :p he sued to haa

and his price was 700 for the head..
Minsoo s.w.
hey minsoo... is this the amp you're talking about? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Marshall-SL-X-50W-Brand-new-Condition_W0QQitemZ7419815356QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cause i noticed he posted it on ebay. i found it on craigslist first.

ok well looks like i may be checking out the jcm 900 DR's a bit more.

but im curious if anyone can comment on the new jcm 2000's? cause i came a across a tsl 60 with 1960 lead cab. how would that sound... and what do those usually go for?

thanks.
haha yah that is the slx im lookin at!
haha i saw it on craigslist haha

what about the jcm900... he just contacted me when i can go there to ry it out...

didi u see that ton cg too? the one for 700?? cuz if it is, im not sure if im going to try it out.

wherd u find the tsl 60? :p

wher ein toronto do u live in? i live in north york
Minsoo s.w.
damn im gonna forget the slx..

hes asking 800 ish CDN buy it now? wth haha
Minsoo s.w.
the tsl 60 is really nice. i have one with a 1960A cab and with it i can get decent crunch but its really well voiced for punk rock and etc. without an od it can kinda play metal but with an od pedal it really goes through the roof
JAMONE
hey gabel,

i have a chance to get a jcm 900 dr for $575. it has el34's in it and he says its in great condition.

how good of a deal is this? and is this amp worth it? i like to play a wide range of music like u2, greenday, rhcp, metallica.. but would like to even reach gain like zakk wylde.

also, im curious how well it sounds when practicing? i wont be able to crank it all the time.

would appreciate it if you can also give me advantages and disadvantages of this amp.

i dont really want to bother you so much with this but you have this amp and i'd trust some one more who has hands on experience with it.

thanks.
i'm not gabel but i am currently owning the amp. 575 sounds like a good deal, especially if it has el-34s in it. the 900 will do all those bands you mentioned except metallica and ZW by itself. with a clean boost or even a bit of distortion on OD, you can easil get ZW stuff.

harmonics are awesome with an OD pedal, but i found them lacking without an OD, but that maybe because of my epiphone stock pickups (EMGs on the way).

of course it sounds best when cranked, but it sounds amazingly good when not. buying an atenuator would get you those cracked tones at all time, but it already sounds fantastic at low volumes.

to me, the only dissadvantage i can find is the clean channel. apart from sounding super warm and full, it breaks up easy. depends if you like a clean clean channel, or with a bit of dirt.

hope that helped.
Quote by fencejack
hey gabel,

i have a chance to get a jcm 900 dr for $575. it has el34's in it and he says its in great condition.

how good of a deal is this? and is this amp worth it? i like to play a wide range of music like u2, greenday, rhcp, metallica.. but would like to even reach gain like zakk wylde.

also, im curious how well it sounds when practicing? i wont be able to crank it all the time.

would appreciate it if you can also give me advantages and disadvantages of this amp.

i dont really want to bother you so much with this but you have this amp and i'd trust some one more who has hands on experience with it.

thanks.

Will work great for that! Buy it now.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band