Hello, UG. Firstly, I'd like to say how great this site is and how much it has helped me in terms of advice and lessons despite never actually joining the forums.

Anyway, back to the topic. My problem lies within my fingers. I have recently begun playing electric guitar but I've come across a big problem. It would appear that my fingers are too fat for the fretboard.

Here's what happens:
a) When I hold a string down, sometimes a bit of skin from my finger touches the bottom string, causing a dead note.
b) I can barely have 3 fingers on the one fret as they are relatively wide (but not too wide)

Please note that for (a) I am using the tips of my fingers so that can't be the problem, unless its the way my hand is positioned.

So what do you think, UG? Is there hope for this guitar enthusiast? Or was I just not meant to play guitar? My friend suggested I switch to bass but...in all honesty, I don;t find the bass guitar that appealing to me.
u can never have fingers that are too fat (i just watched this REALLI big dude play guitar last nite)
yu just need to practice those chords
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Common problems that are easy to fix.

a) I don't know how to explain this without showing someone. When you put your finger on a string, move your hand so that your knuckles move more towards the ceiling, causing your finger to move away from the lower string.

b) i've had that same problem for 13 years. I cannot make an A chord(3 finger) to this day. I use my ring finger so that it bends to let the high E ring out. Try different finger combos, try just 1 finger.

and c) the friend that told you to switch to bass? tell him Stop Messin' said to '**** off"

Hope i helped you a little.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Thanks to both your advice. I've been trying something like you suggested, Stop Messin', in regards to the "knuckles facing ceiling". But my wrist begins to kill after a few short moments. But nothing a little practise shouldn't cure.

And 13 years with that problem? That worries me a little ... I suppose alternates can come into play but...I probably won't be able to shake off the feeling that I'm disadvantaged in some way hahaha.

*EDIT*
Oh..and I'll be sure to tell my mate just that hahaha
Dude I have big fingers and I dont have a problem. My ring size is 11 1/2 and I'm sure there are some guys on here who have bigger fingers than that. The thing is......learn to play with what you are given. Thats simply put. My brother uses that same excuse to not pick up a guitar. Don't let it get to you dude. Trust me. When about 5 years passes and you are able to play numerous songs and whatnot you're going to be like, "You know.....those f*ckers on UG knew what they were talking about."
Hahaha my passion for guitar is definetely not going to dwindle any time soon (or ever). I was just worried if I wouldn;t be able to play the instrument to the best of its ability.

But thanks for the encouragment. I'll be sure to keep practicing despite not being able to hold a proper A chord :P
Ah the joys of having nice long thin fast cool fingers.

I cant really say much more on this, just wanted to let you know about my fingers. Make sure the string isnt to near your nail when you fret a string. I aim for the very tip of my finger, about half way down from the nail. Also i found as times went past the skins hardened and doesnt absorb the string so much.
Find a guitar with the widest neck possible. PRS advertises that their necks are wider than other guitars. Maybe that would help. Or go to a store and play a classical acoustic guitar with the nylon strings, which have the widest necks of any guitar I think, and see if your finger size is really the problem.
If you're willing to spend the cash, Rainsong has a pretty wide neck on their guitars. They are pretty comfortable necks also because they are flat like an electric. Also, from what everyone says, Seagull makes a wide neck.
Quote by gmsje
Find a guitar with the widest neck possible. PRS advertises that their necks are wider than other guitars. Maybe that would help. Or go to a store and play a classical acoustic guitar with the nylon strings, which have the widest necks of any guitar I think, and see if your finger size is really the problem.

I do have a classical acoustic (nylon string) and I still have some trouble getting my fingers on the strings. The main problem on the classical is that the skin under my fingers touches the bottom string.

What I need real help with is electric guitars...
Quote by El Raro
I do have a classical acoustic (nylon string) and I still have some trouble getting my fingers on the strings. The main problem on the classical is that the skin under my fingers touches the bottom string.

What I need real help with is electric guitars...

You must have some really manly hands.

EDIT: Wrong pic, my bad. I ment to post this;

That guy has big big hands and look at him go. Are you hands bigger?
Last edited by Preid at Jun 11, 2006,