I currently have an Aria 20 watt amp, and while I'm content with it (it has a recording feature, which is sweet), my tone is pretty bad.

Price range..preferably not over $300, and I'd like to get something that is good for practice and gigging. I play classic rock, some thrash (metallica, megadeth), etc.
So yeah, help would be appreciated!
peavey valveking 112, great for classic and gets good metal tone with a tubescreamer or similar overdrive pedal
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
The peavey one looks solid, if expensive. I'll have to try it out.

Any more help is appreciated! (thanks to you three )

EDIT: also, on playing with tube amps, what different do you have to do? I read you have to let it warm up a bit, about how long? is there anything else i need to know about tube amps?
Last edited by Spamwise at Jun 1, 2006,
spamwise, i have the peavey valveking. You switch the power on, but leave it on stanby, for the tubes to warm up. You only have to wait for about 1 minute, then flick standby off. When I got my valveking, i got the stanby on/off mixed up and I coudn't switch it on, easy mistake but if you get any problems, just PM me.
My Gear:

id go for peavey too, dont be afraid to turn it up, they really start preforming when you turn it up about halfway. With tube amps tthe more you turn them up the better they sound.
Other suggestion, also bij peavey: the Classic 30/60 amps. I own(ed) both, they rock
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
I would second the Vox AD30VT. Great sound and has a built in attenuator so you can get the great tube sound without having the volume full blast.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ROLCUBE60

i know this is $345, but music123, and musicians friend get in "blem" cubes all the time where u can save another 20-30 bucks.

if u can afford it. and plan on gigging, do urself a HUGE favor and get the bigger amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
okay, thanks.

also, i was told by a friend that a tube amp is like 3x more powerful then a solid state amp, so a 50 watt tube would be like a 150 watt solid state. is this true?
^ no there not, they are solid state.

Spamwise, I don't think tubes are anymore powerful. My 100watt stack is extremely powerful but I have never owned a 100watt solid state to compare it to.
My Gear:

Vox and Roland make really good amps around that price range. Line 6 is a bit cheaper but produces some digital like sounding tones >_<

Try shopping around at pawn shops , you might find a nice amp for your price range. Just make sure everything works haha.
we must become the change we want to see.
Quote by Spamwise
okay, thanks.

also, i was told by a friend that a tube amp is like 3x more powerful then a solid state amp, so a 50 watt tube would be like a 150 watt solid state. is this true?

depends on the amp. usually they are twice as loud and sound best when cranked, so for high volumes, tube amps make the most sense.

my 5w epi tube head is louder than my 25W SS practice amp.

but thats also cause i cant max out the volume on my SS, cause at around 6 its mud.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I don't really like line 6s. My friend got one, and I think it was a bad choice. so many useless effects, i don't see the point. just my opinion though
Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering what you guys/girl thought.

I'm still looking at your guys'/girl's suggestsions, but i was wondering if this is a good deal:

a local music store is selling a used Marshall VS100 amp for $235. Good, or bad?
Quote by Spamwise
okay, thanks.

Yes, this is true. I'd get a vox adtv30 or whatever its called, i've only tried the ac30, but the adtv is more affordable
VS100, valve state, not a tube amp. But anyway, go try it, it sounds like a fair deal
My Gear:

Last edited by tabber666 at Jun 1, 2006,
Check out the Epiphone Valve Jr. If you can get past the "Epiphone" brand name you will discover that it is a true tube amp with a great tone.

It only has a volume knob and power switch but pedals are made for this amp. It's a great amp! I've had mine for a few months and it's the biggest bargain out there for genuine tube amps. Best of all, it's around $99 new at Guitar Center.
To get good tube tones out of the valveking 112, its gotta be cranked. That is a very loud amp, when cranked for great tone.

I think the Vox AD30VT/AD50VT would be a better choice, because like jmanning said, its got an attenuator built in, so you can overdrive the preamp tubes at lower volumes. Try them both out (AD30VT/AD50VT) and see what kind of volume you need.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
^ yeh the valveking is too loud. I have never cranked mine, I've never turned it up past 1 but I do get some very decent tones from it.
My Gear:

I don't know how you're going to get some the amps mentioned above for the $300 price range. The small Epi valve amps are inexpensive, but you would be better off getting the Epi 5 watt valve head instead of the their 5 watt combo, because they cleaned up the hum and noise from the combo with just the head (at least according to the reviews on Harmony Central). Plus the craftmanship of their combos is inconsistent from the ones I've played at Guitar Centers. The head is only $99. For more power in a valve/tube amp, there are also alot of Pignose G40Vs on ebay. They are 40 watt tube amps. New they are $319 from online retailers (with free delivery and a warranty), but on ebay they can be gotten for anywhere from $150 to $250 delivered. Most of the Harmony Central reviewers got a used one and replaced the stock speaker and rave about the value. They can be slaved out to a cabinent too. For solid state in your price range, it's hard to beat the Rolands for value and sound, and their 30's and 60's also have amp models and effects.
Last edited by gmsje at Jun 3, 2006,
Which one is better for sounds and a clean sound other without distortion:

Roland Cube 30? or
Vox AD30VT
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
well the vox has nice cleans. the roland has better high gain IMO.

rolands are extremely reliable amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62