Hey members,
Ive been playing for 7 years on my starter amp (peavey rage 158) and zoom GFX-707 and feel its time I got better equipment..
Im currently using a Epiphone Les Paul.
My budget stands at about a couple thousand or under.

Ive been doing some work for a music store and they told me they could do discount on the Boss ME-50 at about 30% = $200AUS discount

However I don't know which amp would be best to use, neither do I know what type of sound I want. What amp do you think would be good?
Last edited by JRSB at Jun 2, 2006,
Well it really does all depend on what kind of sound you want. What is your budget? (In any currency)
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
I don't play a certain style of music. Sometimes I like clean sounds, other times I like lots distortion, contempory rock I guess. As for the band, we play anything to find what suits us.

So I s'pose I want an amp that can "do it all"?
Quote by nakki
I suggest a tube Marshall.

Maybe some amp from the JCM series?

And was your budget for the amp?

nakki

It depends on the value, but I would feel happy if i spent bit under a $1000(australian dollar)
Ah.... $1000 Aussie isn't that much for a decent amp... £400 or $750 US. I'd suggest a Marshall DSL 401 as those are pretty versatile and just about in your price range. Also check out a Vox AC30.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Went back to the store today, and I was looking at the Laney VC15. Has anyone had experience with it, is it any good?
I might try it out tomorrow.
If you can, look into getting a Carvin shipped your way. You can get a Master Tube combo for $750 USD, a V3 for $1250 USD or a Legacy for $1050 USD. Might be more with shipping. Always spend more money on your amp than your guitar. A great amp can make a ****ty guitar sound decent. Omar Rodriguez of the Mars Volta and At the Drive-In used to play a Squire through an Orange AD140 halfstack and it actually sounded really good. Just always remember, if you have a ****ty guitar and a ****ty amp, it'll be garbage in-garbage out. Don't go out and buy some high end Fender and put it through an MG. That's heresy.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
If you can, look into getting a Carvin shipped your way. You can get a Master Tube combo for $750 USD, a V3 for $1250 USD or a Legacy for $1050 USD. Might be more with shipping. Always spend more money on your amp than your guitar. A great amp can make a ****ty guitar sound decent. Omar Rodriguez of the Mars Volta and At the Drive-In used to play a Squire through an Orange AD140 halfstack and it actually sounded really good. Just always remember, if you have a ****ty guitar and a ****ty amp, it'll be garbage in-garbage out. Don't go out and buy some high end Fender and put it through an MG. That's heresy.

That's nice, but you didnt explain why those amps would be better over the Laney or why at all I should choose those amps.
I tried the laney vc15 out the other week, and i must say, it is amazing. Definately the sweetest sounding amp i have ever played, and ive tried many a tube amp inlcuding some fenders. Fantastic cleans, and great blues overdrive. If you want metal or hard rock though, i reccomend either not getting it or getting a nice distortion pedal. I haven't tried it boosted with an OD, but it will probably sound really nice.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jun 2, 2006,