You need to look up the steve vai 10 hour guitar work out
pretty simple but that will fix your shreading problem

yeah that means four lol
Theres no problem I learned with four but I am trying to just maximize my accuracy and speed.
The real question is which meathof of fingering should I practice.

Malmsteen uses 3 and uses the 4th when he needs to reach.
Steve via sometimes uses only 3 and sometimes uses 4( ive seen a number of videos)
Santrini uses 3 and 4th when he needs it.
Angelo uses 4 all the time.
Zac Wylde uses whatever he seems to feel like using.
All of the slip knot guitarists seem to use 4 at all times
hendrix used 3 primarily.
so it appears there is a back and forth between the old meathods of shred from the 60s-80s and now.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 1, 2006,
Use all fingers if you can... If not, don't...

I don't see the problem.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Well im like Malmsteen and Satch. It all depends on what your comfortable with.

Yngwie and Michael Angelo as you said use different fingers (i mean Yngwie uses 3 and 4 when he needs it and angelo uses 4 at all times) but theyre both insanely fast and accurate. Its all about comfort.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

I guess I value different aspects of guitaring much more than shredding, but for a limitless number of chord voicings you HAVE to use your pinky, so I'd say it's a pretty damn important digit.

I use four fingers up to the 14th fret, then after that I use 2, with a pinky extension depending on the lick.
Anyone ever tryed 6 fingers ? lol put alot of delay and a HUGE noise gate on a clean tone then play chord shapes and slide around the fretboard like you would a slide but over the frets...its an odd sound but its wicked i'll post a vid of a couple guys who have mastered it
Quote by GuitarsRule!123
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5038090482484670396&q=Adam+Fulara
Adam Fulara is one AMAZING guy uses a double neck guitar the other guy is bob Zabek one sec i'll find a vid of him

Ever heard of Stanley Jordan?

And I think I misunderstood the question in my initial post in this thread...

Ofcourse you should use 4 fingers!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Due to my gargantuan fingers, I use 4 up until I hit about the 12th or 13th, then it's primarily 3 unless I have massive streaches or something.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Considering I have small hands it's a necessity to use 4 fingers. Some of us just aren't blessed with long fingers and it makes reaches such a pain in the ass.
past the 12th fret it depends solely on what i'm trying to do, i definately practice alot w/ my pinky (as i was a 3 finger shredder for a couple of years so my pinky isn't quite as good as my middle 3) just to keep it in shape so if its needed i can use it, generally though i alternate rapidly back and forth as needed......
I use 5. It's sometimes good to use your thumb too, it gives you the the little extra thing in the sound.
Yahyah
Quote by silentdud
I was just curious as to how many fingers you guys use to shred.
I use four up until the 9th fret and then I change to three because it keeps crowding down on the fret board.

don't reply if you are aren't a good shredder I'm just looking for new ideas to maximize accuracy.

I use 4 up until the pinky gets to the 15th fret, then 3 till about the 18. Mainly cause atm, my guitar has some screwed up frets, so they buzz and theyre gross. It's not a shred guitar. It's a simple beginners Epi SG Special. Y'know the deal. Hopefully i'm getting new gear soon

I only use my thumb very occaisionly, usually never. But if a nice ragtime song or something fingerpicking calls, i'll try.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
^ What new guitar you going to get?

I'll see when the time comes, depends on money and stuff. By Soon i mean in the next year.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
^ What new guitar you going to get?

I'll see when the time comes, depends on money and stuff. By Soon I mean in the next year. My dad's recently bought a few guitars one (of two) Martins were the most expensive, and i'm thinking, dude gimme some guitars, i only have 2. But yeah as i was saying, it depends on my financial issues and stuff. Unless I get lucky on my birthday.
well, I never use my 4th finger unless I need to, so three. Keeps you from accidentally muting strings.
You were born with ten fingers, use all that can.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
I use the best possibl choice. SAo sometimes I use 4 other times I use 3. It depends on the song, isnce I'll place my fingers a few beats ahead so i just have to let one finger off to get to the next note. But ofr just rocking, I use four. Much better and faster.
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country, he did so by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
Always four.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.