umm. yeah. lately i've been lacking inspiration when it come to writing music. i mostly play metal and i'm quite frankly bored. mainly because i dont have the patience to sit down and write cool lead melodies for the songs. i just dont know what i should be doing. i cant go buy new music because i have no money, i just bought a expensive amp. i am getting Dillinger Escape plans 'miss machine' for my birthday and i hope it will help. but what do you think? what should i be doing?

also i just noiticed that when i tile my hand (not my arm, my hand from the wrist joint) downward i have a bulge that sticks out. only on my fretting hand though. does anyone else have that? should i be worried?

thanks even if you just read this, i'm happy to be heard. oh and if you want to hear my songs to get an idea of what i've been playing the add me on msn, i cant load music to my dmusic door some reason.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
If you want some inspiration listen to some classical not ****ty classical lol like ...look up Bach's first Prelude its a beautifull melody if you want to get some insperation thats where you should look
^yeah. no offence, i just dont like classical. thanks though.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well i always say listen to everything you can.

classical/blues/folk/rock/jazz/rap/hip hop/grunge/metal

I just gets samey if you listen to nothing but one genre.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Dude,

Why don't you check out some other genres? You'll find that some classical stuff kicks ass and really helps you work on technique.

For instance:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7638214241718311132&q=children+of+bodom+vivaldi
Excercise One onwards is Classical but it's pretty kickass on guitar.

And another thing to do is just go and play with as many people as you possibly can! That's always inspiring! =D

And just try new genres.

I dunno.

Bleh

Daryl
GUITAR!!!!!
yeah like i said. no offence, but i just dont like classical. dream theater however....
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
haha thats the funny thing tho dream theater is COMPLETELY classical based You just havent heard the right classical yet man i was a hater like a year ago but i love it now ...check out jason becker - serrena its a wicked shread piece if you search it on google video or you tube but if you D/l or buy the real version of it from his album then its an amazing classical piece
don't not like it til you try it. is it becuase you can't play it or what? I used to never be inspiered but i listen to everything mainly metal but every thing i can and i can improv like never before.
fair enough. how bout some jazz then? would that be a good place to start?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well, what the hell IS inspiration?

I think it goes fundamentally to what music is all about. Your soul or spirit has
a deep desire and yearning to express itself and experience itself doing
things. A good player playing good music is expressing thier soul/spirit directly
in the music. Your soul resonates with that expression and goes out and buys
thier CDs and pays to see them in concert.

Your soul/spirit loves to experience NEW things. It bores easily. Haven't you
ever gotten something new under your fingers on guitar and really gotten in
to playing it? Yeah. But, after a while it gets a bit boring. Your soul goes back
into it's shell.

Your soul expresses itself musically on the guitar by telling your mind/body what
it wants them to do. If the mind/body can only do the same old stuff, the soul
is bored and doesn't want to bother.

So, what's the answer? It looks pretty clear. You have to constantly be teaching
the mind/body new things to constantly keep the experience fresh for the soul.
THAT is what coaxes it to come out. When the soul is out, your playing is inspired.

So you have to ALWAYS be learning new stuff. It never ends. Teach your
fingers something new. Practice an old scale in a new way. Learn a new
scale. Improve your technique (the soul hates bad playing too).

The list goes on and on...
^ thats some great advice there ^
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
wow. that was amazing. edg wins.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by GuitarsRule!123
If you want some inspiration listen to some classical not ****ty classical lol like ...look up Bach's first Prelude its a beautifull melody if you want to get some insperation thats where you should look

no he is correct classical has all of the elements clearly written out and you can see how music is made. it is actually very important, probably more so than knowing blues.

The fathers of the modes of the major scale, pentatonics, hungarian minor, melodic, harmonic, harmonic minor are all classical composers...

A scale is just how an octive is split... watch how the manipulate the "variation of pressure" as physics calls it to create a melody and make from that melody a symphony and the orchestration of parts and careful attentiont to each note... There is no improvisation in motzart
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 1, 2006,
Quote by joel_grieve
wow. that was amazing. edg wins.

Heh. I wasn't trying to win anything.

I can't tell you what you need to do to get inspiration. You're the only one
who can do that. Picture how you really want to see yourself as a guitarist
and then take the next small step to learning something that will get you there.

I can tell you what I sorta do. I'd like to get to the improv mastery of say
a John McLaughlin or Dimeola. Maybe not that kind of music, but that skill level.
When a look at the difference between them and me I see a gap (a really big one,
doh!). So, I break it down into what I can do next. Maybe its picking. Maybe
pulloffs. Usually it's some technique because they are very straightforward things.
Either I can play them well and fast enough or I can't.

I just boil it down to the simplest possible thing that I'm not doing very well
and either find an exercise for it or create one. Usually I do it with a scale of some
sort. Then I just keep practicing it. If it doesn't seem to get better I try and
figure out why, fix it, and keep going. At some point it gets better.

I might practice the same thing for hours weeks and months. I used to think
practicng like that would be EXTREMELY boring. But, I actually enjoy it now.
I used to think that only the end result was important. But now I enjoy the
process of actually figuring out something I thought was hard and making it
easy. Plus I have a whole lifetime to figure it out. It's not a race. When I
actually start seeing some of the stuff I practice getting into my solos -- well
that's magic and inspiration!
when i right songs i find that whenever i write a crappy song it is because i tried to just sit down and write a song. just play guitar and the songs should just come to you, thats how it goes for me anyways
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
Meh, I just get inspired by random crap, like people falling over, or watching a DVD. Hell, I even got inspired by Keith Urban.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
^NEVER. get out. leave. you are not human.

meh. i think i will just listen to what ever. on wednesday i'll be away for a week so i'll have some guitar free time.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Here is a site with some good things to do if you're in need of something new:

http://www.vassberg.net/acousticguitar/wisdom.shtml

It's written for bass, but you can apply it on guitar.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
If you're bored or uninspired, stop writing and take a break. Try listening to your influences (aka your inspiration) as well as some new stuff. and while you're on UG make a thread asking about good inspiring bands to check out within whatever genre you like.
and if you're trying to write a song because you want to, it won't turn out well. It just comes to you. Like just recently, I was just looking at some wierd lyrics I'd scribbled somewhere and I was playing around with chord progressions and when I played one with a certain strumming pattern, and it sounded catchier and catchier as I played it.

It's just random things that happen while you're messing around.
masturbate, thats what I do
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

^ really? good idea i've never done that before
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix