I was wondering if you guys could reccomend an artist similar to Nick Drake. I own all of his albums and in particular I'm looking for either the syle off the Pink Moon album, or sort of Baroque Pop style of Five Leaves left. I've been recommended "Give Me Take You"which is by Duncan Browne, however I don't know what it's like as I can't find anything from him and the album is very hard to get.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Also, does anyone know where I could get the Tanworth-in-Arden 1967/68 tape? I've got a few tracks from it and it would be a nice thing to have.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Jun 1, 2006,
Beck's album Sea Change is clearly influenced by Nick Drake, and it has both the barebones songs of Pink Moon and the "baroque pop" of Five Leaves Left. Mostly the latter. Especially the song Round The Bend sounds like something off Five Leaves Left.

Donovan also made similar music, but i'm not familiar enough with his catalogue to recommend a specific album.
Quote by LKW
Beck's album Sea Change is clearly influenced by Nick Drake, and it has both the barebones songs of Pink Moon and the "baroque pop" of Five Leaves Left. Mostly the latter. Especially the song Round The Bend sounds like something off Five Leaves Left.

Donovan also made similar music, but i'm not familiar enough with his catalogue to recommend a specific album.

I was just about to post a thread about that album. I bought Sea Change the other day and love it.
Dude, get Elliott Smith's self-titled, XO, and Either/Or. You will think he is the reincarnation of Nick Drake
John Frusciante Club Member #7
Quote by ando3300
Dude, get Elliott Smith's self-titled, XO, and Either/Or. You will think he is the reincarnation of Nick Drake

I dowlnloaded a few tracks there and I really like it. What album would you recommend me to buy first?
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Aug 29, 2008,
Get Elliott Smith's first album.

get The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and The Times Are A Changin' by Bob Dylan.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
I really don't see much of a similarity at all to Elliott Smith and Nick Drake other than they both are good guitar players that write depressing songs.
Quote by Alarming Carrot
I really don't see much of a similarity at all to Elliott Smith and Nick Drake other than they both are good guitar players that write depressing songs.

From the few tracks I have downloaded, I think their picking style is very similar - in particular the song 'Angeles'.
Ha, this thread dates back to when I was a youngster. Ahh the memories.

^And, Pink Moon is still my favourite album ever. Not a month has gone by since this thread was created that I didn't sit down and listen to Pink Moon.
to be honest i am a huge nick drake fan as you can tell, there is no one really like Nick Drake i have tried to find someone with his style but its hard, Nick is a one of a kind.
Hmm.. I think Nick Drake is fantastic, but really don't find Elliott Smith's comparison's justified--but maybe that's just because I really only enjoy one song by him.

I recommend Jose Gonzalez's first album, veneer. As much a virtuoso on guitar as Drake was, but classically trained, which thankfully isn't overbearing, but marks for really interesting picking patterns, and he uses nylon strings and tense minors so well. The vocals are pretty similar and thankfully lack the the mix-cluttering, irritating false chorus that Elliott used by recording tracks and tracks of himself singing the same line over.
Last edited by Unseen_hero at Sep 12, 2008,
Elliott Smiths first album, Roman Candle, is pretty much Nick Drake influenced.

Look up Azure Ray. They're a couple of girls who make melancholy folk music with guitars and a violin. Very Drake-y.

Apart from that, I can't think of anyone who might have the same kind of vibe
Quote by LKW

You probably already know this, but Beck did a couple of Nick Drake covers a while ago. They're floating in the internet somewhere.