Okay, so i was at a guitar store today, and i tried out this ibanez SZ520QM which is a mahogny/maple body with a quilted maple top. Let me just start out by saying that the finish was GORGOUS, much better than the ones listed in my catalouge. The sound was so-so, not great, but not bad, and it was going for about 800 USD. I know this is expensive US standard, but you can compare when you think about the fact that my epiphone lespaul custom sold for 1,000 bucks, and was then put down 200, so its originally 1,200 bucks.

Anyway, i like grunge, hard rock, rock and classic rock with a pinch of metal and a tad indie/alternative. So is this any good? When saying the sound is so-so, i meant that my epiphone sounds way better on mid gain levels, but this one could nearly rival it in cleans and high gain modes. And my epiphone is very very good for an epiphone Thanks.
I got this Ibanez and Ive got to say that its a great guitar. Great clean sound and nice overdrive... but if you wanna play metal (like me) its not the right choice. Low distortion is also ok but if you want this children of bodom or pantera sound you should search for another one. If you just play punk and classic roch its perfect
No, as i said in the first post, just a pinch of metal, i focus mostly on grunge and hard rock type of music

So i don't want a metal guitar at all, just a good guitar thats capable of bringing the gain up to those levels if needed, and pull if off at least mediocrably
Stock IBZ p'ups are hardly ever too good. I mean, they can suffice, but they won't excell in anything. But still, Ibanez are very well built guitars... so, with a p'up change to suit your likings, you're almost granted to have a fine ass axe. That's one of the reasons why the 1570 is so famous, even though the stock pickups aren't of very high quality, it's never the less an amanzingly high quality guitar.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
So what pic ups would i want to put int it then? Im not too knowledgable about pickups to tell the truth.... The type of music i like is mentioned in my first post btw, nirvana, GNR, pink floyd, led zep etc. etc.
Quote by guitarforever<3
So what pic ups would i want to put int it then? Im not too knowledgable about pickups to tell the truth.... The type of music i like is mentioned in my first post btw, nirvana, GNR, pink floyd, led zep etc. etc.

I'd get a Schecter C-1 Classic. Basically the same thing as an SZ with 24 frets and a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, which is great for pretty much anything, even metal (Dave Mustaine used that pickup combo until recently when he switched to Seymour Duncan LiveWires.)
Quote by Dirk Gently
I thought it had the JB and 59?

Nope, even though that is a better combo. That's the combo ESP usually uses.
The Blackjack has the JB/59 Combo. It's very similar to the SZ and the Classic. I have a Blackjack myself and I'm very pleased with it. Plus it was only $550 which is a pretty good deal.
So you'd say that a c-1 classic would do hard rock and grunge exceptionally, and everything else good as well?
Classic has Jazz; Blackjack and Artist have '59.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by guitarforever<3
So you'd say that a c-1 classic would do hard rock and grunge exceptionally, and everything else good as well?

Exactly. And good craftsmanship as well.
Quote by primusfan

^I agree. I've been playing a few months and I bought the Schecter Blackjack as my first guitar. It plays really well and is built solidly. Everything works well and the Classic is very similar only I think the Classic looks a little better, the blackjack really shows the smudges and all. Schecter's are very good guitars for the money, definitely look into the Classic and also the Blackjack.
Okay, i just talked with my guitar teacher, and he said i'd be better off buying a fender american strat highway 1. Its about the same price as the other ones, the SZ and the scechter. And then routing the pickups, buying some 'buckers and installing them. So what do you think??
Quote by guitarforever<3
Okay, i just talked with my guitar teacher, and he said i'd be better off buying a fender american strat highway 1. Its about the same price as the other ones, the SZ and the scechter. And then routing the pickups, buying some 'buckers and installing them. So what do you think??

Mahogany sounds better than alder does with humbuckers for the music you want to play.

Why does he want you to do that?

EDIT: If you REALLY need a strat with humbuckers, you'd be way better off with a G&L Legacy 2HB. Better build quality, better hardware, and no routing involved for you
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jun 1, 2006,
So your guitar teacher wants you to spend $900 rather than $650-700? Hmm... I don't like the Highway One instruments. Yeah, they're "USA Made" (probably more like "USA Assembled"), but they're finished with flat paint and they aren't that attractive. The Schecters are great and they already come with good pickups. They're just inexpensive compared to other guitars with those features because they're made overseas.
Hi, I'm Peter
So your guitar teacher wants you to spend $900 rather than $650-700? Hmm... I don't like the Highway One instruments. Yeah, they're "USA Made" (probably more like "USA Assembled"), but they're finished with flat paint and they aren't that attractive. The Schecters are great and they already come with good pickups. They're just inexpensive compared to other guitars with those features because they're made overseas.

That's definitely true, just stick with a Schecter, they're well built and most of them u can "tap" the pickups and u'll be able to get that single coil sound while still being able to play with humbuckers. Look at the Blackjack and the Classic, much better for the price than getting the Strat and switching out the pups.
Quote by guitarforever<3

Tell your guitar teacher to go fuck himself.
Well, i don't know what to do now... All of these guitars i can get for pretty much the same price. Is routing it expensive?

If so, maybe i'll just go with the scechter after all...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Schecter C-1 Elite?

the C-1 is so badass i was gunna buy one, then um well ill get back to you on that=)
Routing can be a bit pricy. I think your teacher is a bit biased towards fenders, being older, and liking different music. By all means, a good guitar, but for YOUR needs, you can find better.

The SZ is a great instrument. Amazing! After a pup swap, the guitar rips! Very well built, and, IMO, much more comfortable than a schecter. I always feel very crammed on a schecter neck. Make sure you play a schecter before you buy to see whether it is for you.

Personally, I think the SZ is the way to go. It sounds huge, and is very versatile. Built to last too! The bridge it has is amazing, and much better than a tune-o-matic IMO. Much more comfortable and better on the strings!
You may not need to route it out, per se, but you will need a new pickguard ($30) and then two new pickups (about $160-200 if you get good ones). So add that on your guitar instructor's idea. Don't let him choose your guitar for you. I think he's just saying "Fender" because of the name.
Hi, I'm Peter
Okay... well, i dont really have the opportunity to try out any scechters, living in a small city and all, so i guess i shouldn't buy a guitar without even having tried one of the models... So i guess its the SZ for me, if any guitar
I got an ibanez SZ520 for free about 2 years ago.

It was a pretty nice guitar for the money.
Quote by guitarforever<3
Okay... well, i dont really have the opportunity to try out any scechters, living in a small city and all, so i guess i shouldn't buy a guitar without even having tried one of the models... So i guess its the SZ for me, if any guitar

You'll still have a very good guitar. I would indeed reccomend a p'up swap, as I did earlier... A JB/59 combo would do very good, specially since the SZ is mahogany, which will counter-balance the JB's high amounts of treble.
Quote by primusfan

So for the kind of music i play - Nirvana, GNR, led zeppelin, pink floyd and queens of the stoneage, (Hard rock, classic rock, grunge and stoner rock) what pickups should i go with, regardsless of weather i actually go with the highway(I'll still try it out before i decide , the SZ, or maybe even the scechter if i can get my hands on one to try it out?
Like mentioned the Ibanez has better hardware than a schecter, it looks better with the quilt top. Put a Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio SUper Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz or Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck and it will make the JB/59 Schec's sound like crap. Im switching out the Duncan JB in my all mahogany Hamer for a Duncan Distortion asap.
I'd say get the SZ - there's a lot of Schecter hype around at the moment and their quality seems to get exagerrated a bit. I've never played one, so don't take this as the be all and end all, but I think they might not be as good as they're claimed to be by so many people. I'd say get the SZ. It's well-built, it will stay in tune for ages and is really comfortable to play. I had a bit of trouble getting used to the nut width, but my last guitar was tiny. SO i don't think you'll have a problem. Another plus point is the bridge - it is REALLY comfortable, and there are absolutely no sharp edges on it whatsoever. The fretboard is smooth as anything. In fact, the only substandard thing on the guitar is the pickups. And you can replace those anyway
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music