Just recently registered on this site after lurking for a while.

I've been playing guitar now for several years and have over the last couple of years got increasingly more serious about it, due to my now having more free time as well as meeting people I could reasonably consider being in a band with.

The problem I have is that I have shied away from learning the more technical aspects of playing guitar (ie the specific qualities that particular guitars/amps/pedals provide) focusing just on learning musical theory and technique. I'm a better guitarist than most people I know but I have to rely on their advice for which guitar to use and what settings to apply whenever we play together.

My question is, does anyone know of any books or courses that are available that could give me a good idea of how to achieve different tones and sounds, and what the merits of these different tones are?

I realise the best way to do this is to just experiment as much as possible but I really would appreciate some kind of roadmap as a rough guide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It all depends on what sound you want. I don't think there's any books but there's a sticky about the things you want to know.
Hang out on UG for the next few months. You will learn a ridicilous amount. I know people that have played 2 times longer than me that don't know anything but think they do. You will learn a lot if you are on here. I have only been here since I think February but my gear knowledge had multiplied by 200.
A few rules

1- Dont use gain to hide your shortcomings as a guitarist (If like me you have many!) it just sounds nasty with it on 10 espacially at volume.

2- Dont be shy of the Mid tone control. Most of the musical guitar frequencies and most importantly the volume are hidden here. The lower you have it, the more you'll get lost in the mix.

3- When you set your amp up, go stand at a distance and listen, coz what you hear when your stood right next to your amp isnt what everyone elsa is hearing, you might think it sounds awesome but odds are it sounds **** from 10 paces where the audience are.

Stick to them and you wont go far wrong mate.
um if you turn the mid up too much it will start to sound really ****ty and metally (unless you want scooped mids)... some people play with mid at 0 and high and low at 10 each, it's just preference i wouldnt say it's a rule
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Quote by thegreensquall
um if you turn the mid up too much it will start to sound really ****ty and metally (unless you want scooped mids)... some people play with mid at 0 and high and low at 10 each, it's just preference i wouldnt say it's a rule

Um... scooping the mids is lowering them and raising bass and treble. That gets a metal sound. Scooping them totally will just cause you to not be heard and have ****ty tone.