okay, as a starting project, i tried to build his:

http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/projects/lpb1/index.html

unfortunatly, i did something wrong. i don't know what i'm supposed to do with the ground wire, but other than that i think its all good. in one position there's LOTS of hum and in the other there's more hum. no signal in one position, signal passing in the other.

i don't know whats wrong.

can anyone help?
according to that scheme you take it from the 360o resistor, split it and run to both jacks and thats it, it grounds to your instrument/amp unless you have one of the leads touching the case somewhere which could be the case
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
so like, where should i connect what?

if i understand, i go from 360 to 100k to both sleeves, but then what from that do i connect to the cassing or whatever to ground it?
you don't have to chassis ground your circuit. as long as you use a mono 1/4" plug, the plug willll battery ground your circuit when you plug something in. The reason for this is so that when you unplug the input, you break the circuit and don't drain anything from the battery, but when you do plug something in, you short the sleeve and the ring for the ground.

Important note: This means the input should be a STEREO jack, not a MONO jack with a Sleeve, Tip and Switch.

As long as that's in order,
did you make sure to ground the third pin on your pot?
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 3, 2006,
I recently built that pedal and I used 2 mono jacks. Mine works fine, just make sure when you solder leads together you insulate them real well with electrical tape, and make sure the circuit doesnt touch metal. You should be fine.
i have 2 mono jacks, but with 3 pins each. i'm pretty lost. and what do you mean by coating them with electirc crap?
when turned off, there's lots of hum, and normal signal passes and i can play but with lost of hum. then when i turn it on, there's lots of hum only.

i really don't know what i did wrong in the circuit.

here's an image of the jack:
How are you turning the pedal on and off without a switching jack?

And then also, can we have a pic of all the other connections?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
first pic is the up side and second pic is of the underside

i tried placing the components in the same position as on the website, but it still doesn't work.

i'm pretty bummed out
that looks like one freaking huge shaft on your pot!

btw, the problem is that your battery ground isn't connected to your common ground, the second you plug something in, you're breaking your grounds, you need to connect them (although it'll drain your battery, even when you're not using the pedal/have it unplugged)

which is why you wanted a stereo jack (which i suggest you at some point replace with), not a shorting mono jack (which is what you have)
what's my battery ground? do i just solder a ground wire to the + or - signs?

that pot is pimpin. all my effects have long rods.....lol
the battery ground is the (-) terminal on your battery, that's what you want everything grounded to.

(the parts list calls for a stereo jack btw)

Try connecting the ground the the (-) point, it'll be as easy as connecting the short/sleeve on your input jacks (although I still can't stress enough the fact that you should get a stereo jack)

so yeah, stereo jack, basically that's stereo jack all you stereo jack need to do for stereo jack the circuit to work stereo jack as long as all your other connections stereo jack are in good order.
:p

it's actually not that important, but it'll save your battery if you unplug the input, rather than having to unplug the battery
I think greenbox has it under control...
And erm, it looks like your perfboard is upside-down...
well, now when off, everything works normally, but as soon as i turn it on, no more guitar. just hum (the more i turn the pot the more hum there is).

what the hell it wrong.

EDIT: i have checked and rechecked everthing, and i can't find where i messed up.
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Jun 3, 2006,
Quote by jpetrucci5655

here's an image of the jack:

is that a mono, or stereo jack? It looks like it has 3 solder tabs, but only a tip and ground connection.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I had that problem when I was tweaking my ds-1. Are you sure you aren't supposed to ground the jacks to a metal casing or osmething?
Quote by AndyPandy
is that a mono, or stereo jack? It looks like it has 3 solder tabs, but only a tip and ground connection.

it's a self-shorting mono input jack

as long as everything is connected correctly, i can't say what the problem is...
maybe the transistor isn't connected correctly? check it against a spec sheet to make sure your BCE leads are correct.
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 3, 2006,
Forget the size of the pot shaft, thats one HUGE F-ing piece of perf board. I hope it all turns out Good for you and I hope you have one hellacious box to mount that in.
Quote by ClaptonRules
Forget the size of the pot shaft, thats one HUGE F-ing piece of perf board. I hope it all turns out Good for you and I hope you have one hellacious box to mount that in.

haha, yeah, he has a good point
you might want to find a big box... or somehow cut the board in half and use the other half for your next project
yeah, im gonna cut it and make another pedal with the leftover board.

but first, i have to make this one work. if only i knew what the problem was
You might have fried the transistor w/ too much heat, common n00b mistake.

And next time you build something, use the perfboard right side up
how do i know if i burned it or not? i only plugged it in a few times for a very short amount of times and it has never worked.

i don't see how it would overheat