Hey..

I was looking at some threads of who the 'best' guitarist is..and I didn't see much mention of Joe Perry.

I personally think he deserves a whole lot of credit for his work with Aerosmith.

Does anyone else feel he is underrated?? If no one agrees with me I'll go ahead and delete the thread, but I really think he deserves much more credit.

Discuss.
hes not like that great.....
he has come up with some really good riffs but as a guitar player there are meny better
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Why yes, yes he is underated. Its more of title really, like a "good thing" if everyone says he's underrated then well, he's umm sorry im hi and i dunno where im going with this..yeah he's underrated.
He isn't exactly under-rated. He wrote some good riffs for the songs Aerosmith wrote, but in terms of talent and guitar skill he is a mediocre player compared to some of the greats.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
I dont get the way people keep saying this guitarist and that guitarist isnt talented. do you know the guy? i mean cmon, just cos he doesnt shred in songs doesnt mean he cant, same goes for people who bitch about punk bands do you really think all a guitarist whos got a record deal after playing for decades knows is simple powerchords and some riffs?
If he had never been around, Slash would be fu**ed. He nicked loads from him ! So on those grounds, he does deserve more credit.
look, he is underrated, not because he has loads of technical skill, but because he can out riff anyone, and write more effective songs than people like malmsteen can even attempt to dream up

I think what is being forgotten here is that music is about connecting with people, not about being a showoff, and as a guitarist who connects with people on an emotional level through his playing you'd have a hard time topping mr. perry
exactly...he is under-rated, i think very much so...its jus that people see 'Aerosmith' and think 'Aerosmith' where as u see 'Cream' you think 'Clapton'. Its because of that he doesnt get as much credit as he should.

i think thats because Aerosmith have always been Aerosmith,(Joe Perry Project...didnt take off as much as Aerosmith) where as other names 'Clapton' have played with Bluesbreakers, Cream, Solo, etc. I think Aerosmith work more as a band, but not becuase he is less of a player it is jus how the band has presented itself over the years.
Joe Perry isn't underated, Brad Whitford is.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
joe perry should be playing guitar on american idol.
hes very underrated.

hes probably the greatest riff writer in all of rock. his soloing is also very good.

hes wrote more memorable riffs then any other guitarist out there. and they all have there own character and sound different.

i don't think joe is on the same level as say...jimmy page, or van halen from that same time...but i have no doubt he could probably keep up with them if he wanted to.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
has anyone heard the live version of rats in the cellar on the you gotta move dvd. Thats ****ing amazing playing by perry.

also thats true whitford is underated
Joe Perry is my favorite guitarist and he's so damn sexy. I wouldn't say he's underrated, i think he gets the recognition he deserves. If you listen to Aero's live records, from Live Bootleg to Rockin' The Joint, you can hear Joe evolve into an amazing guitarist. I'm never shy around men, but when i met Joe last year, i couldn't speak lol. I just had that look on my face. He's so tasty
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
^ Haha, that's a good girl

I would say brad whitford is a hell of a lot more underrated than joe perry... please joe-f*ckin-perry is a household name.

I grew up in the same town as brad and still no one even knew who the f*ck he was there... he should be hailed as the biggest hero to ever come out of Reading, MA\

Quote by MastaBassist10
Yeah, he infunced Slash a ton. Plus he's just an awesome riffer.

i believe slash even said himself that whitford had more of an influence on the way he played... wow and speaking of slash, and underated guitarist, how about izzy stradlin for an underated rock and roll guitarist
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
Last edited by Wylde at Jun 1, 2006,
I know why Brad isn't as popular as Joe Perry. He shaved his awesome beard he had in the early 90's lol.

Brad is amazing though. He's actually better than Joe and Joe admits that. Brad took lessons, Joe taught himself. It's cool cool how Aerosmith refers to Joe and Brad as guitarists, not rhythm and lead.

Great Brad Whitford work=solo on Train Kept A Rollin' and Stop Messin' Around :p

Plus Whitford/St.Holmes put out a great album after brad left Aerosmith.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i think he is somewhat underrated...if u watch The Making of Pump theres an awesome part where hes just jaming.
He has come up with a lot of sweet riffs but you could never really compare him to anyone like eddie van halen, but he still kicks ass
his guitar riffs and stevens tylers voice and lyrics really make the band what it is, take one away and it sux...which is what happend on the night in the ruts and rock in a hard place albums, though some stuff from those albums is pretty good but joe perrys guitar playing gives aerosmith that certain sound

also you should check out some of the stuff off his solo album..Mercy and Shakin My Cage are pretty tricky
Last edited by FreeBird09 at Jun 1, 2006,
Quote by Funky P

yea brad is the better player by far
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by jonnyguitarman
If he had never been around, Slash would be fu**ed. He nicked loads from him ! So on those grounds, he does deserve more credit.

Quote by Funky P

even more.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

Quote by Stop Messin'
I know why Brad isn't as popular as Joe Perry. He shaved his awesome beard he had in the early 90's lol.

Brad is amazing though. He's actually better than Joe and Joe admits that. Brad took lessons, Joe taught himself. It's cool cool how Aerosmith refers to Joe and Brad as guitarists, not rhythm and lead.

Great Brad Whitford work=solo on Train Kept A Rollin' and Stop Messin' Around :p

Plus Whitford/St.Holmes put out a great album after brad left Aerosmith.

neither joe nor brad did the solo's on the studio version of train... the original guitarist from alice cooper did... i forget his name
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
I think he's cool, he's got a great style, awesome tone and can really blaze when he wants to. The best of the bluesy/rock players IMO
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Joe Perry is definetly underrated, but in my opinon he's an amazing player, he doesnt' have to show off, his playing perfectly compliments the song, his riffs are really good, and if it weren't for him Slash wouldn't have quite have sounded like the Slash we know now. IMO he's as good as Slash, and he sure as hell can match Jimmy Page and EVH.
Quote by Funky P

You beat me to it, had you not said it, I certainly would have.