hey, when playing scales (descending), solo's or anything lead, should you put all the fingers you'll be using in position at once, or one finger at a time?
well
i always like to get my fingers ready for where theyll be playing
but i wouldnt put all of them in place..it takes a long time for soloing at least
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what music do you play? what amp do you maily use? how much you willing to spend? what country do you live in?

Quote by timi_hendrix
You forgot "asl?"

Quote by @zzasin
You want me dead cause I don't share your opinion?

I bet my life savings your an American..
Stick ya thumb firmly to the back of the neck and place your fingers just before you pick the note, DONT PLACE ALL FINGERS DOWN THE PICK THE NOTES, THATS CALLED AN ARPPEGIO!!
Lyrics, Wasted Time between solos!!

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG 470
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender Standard Strat
Line 6 Flextone II
Boss GT6
Jim Dunlop Wah
Saddam, are you meaning something like 10-8-7 on the same string?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Assuming he means on the same string, which I think he does, in a nutshell --
yeah, when you can.

Think about it. The sooner your fingers are in position to play the next note,
the shorter the distance they have to move when needed. The shorter the
distance, the shorter the time. That directly translates into ability to play
faster.

Now that I think about it, same string or not, as a general rule it stands.
Quote by Lick_Soloist
Stick ya thumb firmly to the back of the neck and place your fingers just before you pick the note, DONT PLACE ALL FINGERS DOWN THE PICK THE NOTES, THATS CALLED AN ARPPEGIO!!
Here's the definition of arpeggio according to The Harvard Dictionary of Music- The notes of a chord played one after another instead of simultaneously.

I'm not sure what you were trying to define, but I don't think it was an arpeggio.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by gpb0216
Here's the definition of arpeggio according to The Harvard Dictionary of Music- The notes of a chord played one after another instead of simultaneously.

I'm not sure what you were trying to define, but I don't think it was an arpeggio.

The guy said should he place his fingers all at once then pick the notes, my reply was NO as that is simply not how you play scales, Chords are made up of notes from a scale as you well know so placing his fingers down in the same fashion as you would do with a chord then picking the notes is a form of arpeggio, ya get me.

Either way, placing all fingers in place then picking out the notes is the wrong way of going about playing a scalem as it restricts movement and freedom and does not help when changing between minnors and major scales or modes.
Lyrics, Wasted Time between solos!!

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG 470
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender Standard Strat
Line 6 Flextone II
Boss GT6
Jim Dunlop Wah
Quote by Lick_Soloist
The guy said should he place his fingers all at once then pick the notes, my reply was NO as that is simply not how you play scales. Chords are made up of notes from a scale as you well know so placing his fingers down in the same fashion as you would do with a chord then picking the notes is a form of arpeggio, ya get me.
No, I'm afraid I don't get you. His question concerned scales and not chords. Your reply...
DONT PLACE ALL FINGERS DOWN THE PICK THE NOTES, THATS CALLED AN ARPPEGIO!!
...answered his question about scales with an answer about chords. That's what prompted my response.
Either way, placing all fingers in place then picking out the notes is the wrong way of going about playing a scale as it restricts movement and freedom and does not help when changing between minnors and major scales or modes.
I both get you and agree with you here.
Quote by Freepower
Hm, I think there's confusion about interpretaion of the question.

The original poster asked should he "PUT all his fingers in POSITION at once"?

I took that to mean ready to play the note, but OVER the string. Is everyone else
taking this to mean, PRESSING the string? There's a difference. I'm not sure
what he was asking now.
Quote by edg
Hm, I think there's confusion about interpretaion of the question. The original poster asked should he "PUT all his fingers in POSITION at once"? I took that to mean ready to play the note, but OVER the string. Is everyone else taking this to mean, PRESSING the string? There's a difference. I'm not sure what he was asking now.
As I read the question, I thought he was asking about whether or not to pre-press the string. Perhaps saddam would be willing to clear this up for us.
Quote by Freepower
Quote by gpb0216
As I read the question, I thought he was asking about whether or not to pre-press the string. Perhaps saddam would be willing to clear this up for us.

If not, we overthrow him and replace him with a lame duck puppet UGer that we can easily control for our benefit.
Hi, I'm Peter
Getting off the topic here guys. Threadstarter you don't have to think too much about positioning your fingers as routine will just build up muscle memory anyway. It is a good habbit to keep your fingers close to the strings though (I know for some things my pinky might stick out in the air) as it helps a lot when playing faster things.

Watch any good artist (be-it on a dvd or just a busker on the streets) and you'll get a fair idea. This is why a good guitarist always makes things look easy - because there is minimal finger movement.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
hey, i forgot about this thread.

what i ment was: 10-8-7-- do you put all fingers(me: pinky middle and index) in this postition and then play the notes, or do you hit the pinky note first, then the middle following etc... . As gp said, pre press or not?
Quote by saddam
hey, i forgot about this thread.

what i ment was: 10-8-7-- do you put all fingers(me: pinky middle and index) in this postition and then play the notes, or do you hit the pinky note first, then the middle following etc... . As gp said, pre press or not?

You could do that, but keep in mind if you're not going to a pulloff effect, it's harder to avoid that because when you lift off with your pinky, the other note will ring no matter what because your other finger is fretting, even if it only rings a little. So it may be cleaner to not preposition but it's all in what you're going for in terms of sound.

Bry