The low E string on my acoustic is going wildly out of tune (immediately after I tune it). Now I havn't changed the strings in months but never had this problem before. Did anyone ever get this? I just don't want to put new strings on it only for them to be taken off to replace a tuner or something.

cheers.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
check for a crack in the headstock around the tuning peg or your intonation has a problem
this happened to me and i put new strings on, but u dont want to do that...someone suggested that if u tune it down for a while it will adjust..let me know if it works..
Moving those tired old strings to the garbage bin is the first thing you should do. Due to some twist of nature, the intonation of 99 of every 100 acoustics is slightly off somewhere. A set of dull strings that ring out quickly, wandering towards flat in the process, enhance such imperfections dramatically, while fresh new strings with sparkling overtones make them all but unaudible.
Taking off the old strings is necessary if you want to check the tuners, the nut and the bridge. Chances are that nothing is wrong with either of them, but if something is out of shape somewhere, it can only be diagnosed and corrected with the strings off. (Only the checking and adjusting of the truss rod could best be done with the old strings still in place, unless you want to switch to different gauche strings)
Then clean and oil the fretboard, put some graphite in the slots of the nuts and fit some nice, new shiny strings. Tune up to pitch, strike a chord and you'll most likely find all probems sorted.
Yeah was the strings. Never had that problem before
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...